Better Album: ROL vs Folklore

Anveeroy

Better Album   

98 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

Featured Posts

Ororo Munroe
1 minute ago, TipsyGagaFan said:

Folklore is a good album but no one would be talking about it if it wasn’t made by Taylor, so I guess that’s why it never hit for me.

i don't understand this statement, the same can be said about every acclaimed album by every successful artist. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
trutheverafter

Omg I really can't decide... ROL is the only Madonna album I bought, but I love Folklore... I think I love them both equally.

„Talk is cheap but costs a lot“

Crescent Bloom

Personally, Ray of Light is my favorite album of all time.

But I agree that the comparison here is a little odd. Ray of Light and folklore have two completely genres and songwriting perspectives.

Spoiler

Also for those earlier who have yet to listen to ROL, please do yourself a favor and listen to Madonna's best. :ohwell:

TipsyGagaFan
2 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

i don't understand this statement, the same can be said about every acclaimed album by every successful artist. 

Mm I see your point. What I’m trying to say is that Folklore really isn’t anything special. It’s a 6/10 album that gets treated like a 10/10 because it’s Taylor, and that just irks me.

Also sis, you really should listen to ROL. It honestly doesn’t even feel like a Madonna album. It’s so completely different from all of her other albums. Seriously, I promise you won’t be disappointed :vegas:

I’m tired and angry but somebody should be

BlingNotTheMusic

LMAO this is laughable why would you do this to Taylor? :sharon: no shot in hell

https://discord.xyz/hausofdelulu

Wet Fire

ROL is unique. Both in the context of Madonna's discography and the music scene in general. While Folklore is unique in Taylor's discography, I don't think it's as outstanding compared to other albums similar to it sonically. So I picked ROL.

Agunimon

I didn't listen to Ray of Light until last year. It was very hyped for me by Madonna's fanbase when I was going through her discography (as well as Confessions, which suffered the same fate in how I felt about it). I think that's ultimately why it fell short for me. I love folklore, although I like evermore much more.

They're both very good. Maybe it's recency bias, but I'm going with Folklore.

Not to say ROL is bad- in fact, I think it is a stunning work. They're just not very comparable?

3 points in and ready for more

enissa11

i don't like some elements of ROL and overall the sensibilities about spirituality and the kabbalah in some songs, i find some songs like just shallow spirituality and the work itself pretends like is so deep, but lmao is much much better than folklore, boring acoustic songs with lyrics to appeal to the average millennial during quarantine...

Mad Architect of Light

Arcanum

Ray of light is a classic.

Madonna's voice sounds unique, the sound is diverse, it doesn't hit any commercial side and for its most part is experimental. Its success and its legacy are huge. I haven't found any "Frozen", "To have and not to hold", "The power of goodbye" songs in any other album or as haunting storytelling as "Mer girl". I remember the first time listening to this song, the moment the music broke down and the eerie sounds started capturing her voice while she was singing "And I smelled her burning flesh, her rotting bones, her decay", I felt an emotion that haven't felt so far. And just when it happens, the album is over and leaves you in utter silence.

Yay. Definitely a must pick when you are 25yo or older. Otherwise it's really hard to understand the journey it is taking you to.

I Wantth your Love...I Wantth your Love.

Archived