science

There is a connection between mood, birds and biodiversity

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

Birds-in-Birdbath_Bird-Happiness_FAMILY_0421.jpg“Many studies have shown that spending time outside in nature, or even viewing it from a window, can benefit mood and cognitive function, as well as reduce stress and anxiety,” says Greg Bratman, assistant professor of nature, health, and recreation at the University of Washington School of Environmental and Forest Sciences.

For instance, a study found that a 20-minute nature break can significantly reduce levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Other studies, Bratman says, have shown similarly positive impacts on heart rate, blood pressure, and other aspects of the autonomic nervous system.

That’s why Bratman, who led a recent review of research linking the environment and well-being, encourages families to make nature part of their daily lives.

But why are birds so important to nature’s biodiversity—and therefore your family’s potential happiness? For one thing, birds are an indicator species, meaning they basically function as a “check engine light” for biodiversity. When something is out of whack in nature, birds let us know—often by disappearing—because they need a healthy environment to survive.

“I think many people can relate to the experience of walking through a forest—birds are singing and chattering—then suddenly everything goes quiet,” he explains. “Our subconscious, and that of many animals, uses passive listening as a surveillance mechanism. Thus, sudden quiet is immediately brought to our attention for possible danger.”

Hearing birds might also produce positive effects because it reminds us of previous happy experiences in nature.  “Birdsong in particular might signal the arrival of nice weather and that harsh winter conditions are behind us,” Francis adds.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/family/article/why-a-backyard-thats-for-the-birds-is-great-for-kids-too

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 4
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1
Meta Mart

I love the birds outside. I hear their calls. I call back.

www.metamart.com
Magic Mike
3 hours ago, Meta Mart said:

I love the birds outside. I hear their calls. I call back.

Disney Hello GIF by O&O, Inc

• Shook 1
Lilbit

Birds are so relaxing when you’re enjoying the wëëds :ladyhaha:

• Like 1
GagaSine

Shame we are killing off all the bird species then :toofunny:

• Sad 1
RainingOnMe
2 minutes ago, GagaSine said:

Shame we are killing off all the bird species then :toofunny:

Humans are destroying the planet. :(