⚔️ CHROMATICA OUT NOW ⚔️

🤍 Free Chromatica poster and temporary tattoo for all new subscribers 🤍
Sign in to follow this  
society

Illegal worldwide to criticize CCP rule in HK now

Werk
Posted (edited)

Taken from ATRL. I am replacing certain letters with * for safety and I ask that if you are going to comment please do that as well for my safety and others :fail::

Ch*na makes it illegal worldwide to criticize CCP rule in H*ng K*ng

Spoiler

The draconian security law that Be*jing forced upon H*ng K*ng last week contains an article making it illegal for anyone in the world to promote democratic reform for H*ng K*ng.

Why it matters: Ch*na has long sought to crush organized dissent abroad through quiet threats and coercion. Now it has codified that practice into law — potentially forcing people and companies around the world to choose between speaking freely and ever stepping foot in H*ng K*ng again.

What's happening: Article 38 of the national security law states, "This Law shall apply to offences under this Law committed against the H*ng K*ng Special Administrative Region from outside the Region by a person who is not a permanent resident of the Region."

In other words, every provision of the law applies to everyone outside of H*ng K*ng — including you.

Several experts in Ch*nese and international law confirmed this interpretation of the law to Axios.

"It literally applies to every single person on the planet. This is how it reads," said Wang Minyao, a Ch*nese-American lawyer based in New York. "If I appear at a congressional committee in D.C. and say something critical, that literally would be a violation of this law."

This means that anyone advocating democracy in H*ng K*ng, or criticizing the governments in H*ng K*ng or Be*jing, could potentially face consequences if they step foot in H*ng K*ng, or have assets or family members in H*ng K*ng.

Source

And knowledgeable ATRL user Phantom has this to add:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'd like to offer some more context since the excerpt doesn't paint the full horrifying picture. (Also if I'm incorrect, please correct or add in more info since I've been reading up on this for a while now)

If you are a Ch*nese citizen living abroad, and you post something online that comes under this law (which is basically everything ) then should you EVER find yourself in Ch*na or HK again, you are liable to be arrested and (of course, not ''officially") have your friends and relatives in Mainland/HK harassed. A lot of people have been speculating that the CCP will drum up bogus charges to get such citizens living abroad back home, only to "trap"' them with the NSL once they do get back.

Reddit, FB and Twitter are banned in Mainland, but not so much in HK. Now that this law has passed, the CCP already has asked these sites to comply with "data queries" = essentially asking them about user details so that they can crack down on dissidents. Facebook, Google and Twitter have refused for now; but of course it's just been a week since this has passed - the pressure is mounting. Alarmingly, Reddit has NOT refused yet, or at least fully, and so people on subs about Ch*na (the non brainwashed ones) are currently at risk. TikTok is withdrawing from HK, as it probably knows it cannot resist a data query; and pro-democracy books are being pulled from shelves by libraries. HSBC bank, which makes a lot of it's pre-tax revenue in HK, I think is pulling out/pulled out alread; fearing a sweeping US sanction that seeks to treat HK as a part of Ch*na (sounds like a bad thing, but it actually hurst Ch*na economically; as HK enjoyed a special status).

Already, a new Security Law office has been set up by Be*jing in a hotel overlooking an area where gatherings used to take place to protest.

It looks like...H*ng K*ng has fallen. 

Will this affect GGD as well and users from HK and Ch*na?! Does it mean it is illegal for us to share ways to try and help HK?!

Edited by Werk
  • Sad 6

PartySick

How can they do this? I live in Murica, not Ch*na, I can say what I want :laughga:

(Let me censor just in case :rip:)

KGB was stalkin' me, take my name but just let me be 🌧
  • LMAO 2
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 1

dynamite
Posted (edited)

How can they create a law to apply outside of their country?

Edited by dynamite
Love it when you give me shade in the morning call me neyde
  • Like 4

blankpaper
Just now, dynamite said:

How can they enforce a law outside of their country?

They can bar people from entering 

there cannot be a hundred people in a room
  • Shook 1

Brecht

Reminds me of a website that I won't name :messga:

Spoiler

I'm joking please don't send me to urinetown :bradley:

• LMAO 2

LadariousGarage

How tf are they gonna enforce that lmao?

Lets do it baby I know the Law
  • Thanks 2

LadariousGarage
Posted (edited)

Holy f*ck that is insane

Okay, thank god I do not have family in Ch*na or H*ng K*ng, but I know someone from H*ng K*ng who has family in H*ng K*ng and lives in the US and I should probably give her a heads up

Edited by LadariousGarage
Lets do it baby I know the Law

Archduchess
Posted (edited)

China China China... could you like wait I'm dead so you can take over the entire globe for yourself? I can't speak chinese, it will be so hard for me... 

lana del rey freak GIF by Interscope Records

Edited by Archduchess

GeeYewWhai

winnie the pooh animation GIF by Disney Someone’s a little hungry for world domination.

Nothing Happened
  • Like 2

Seeka

Is there an Underground Railroad that people can set up for those who are against the current rule in H0ng K0ng?

Or maybe we should start the pure anarchy now?

Kevin Slay Zuniga
Posted (edited)

I wish H*ng K*ng Social Democracy 🥰❤️

Edited by Kevin Slay Zuniga

xoxo Craig
Posted (edited)

Fck Ch*na

Edited by xoxo Craig
End Racism Now
  • Like 2

JK Rowling

I wonder how long they think they can keep this up. They’re overplaying their hand and making enemies with EVERYONE. 

• Like 1

calmar

Maybe we could use the calque terms Middleland and Fragrantport? :laughga:

But still, terrifying. Hope the Mandate of Heaven peaces out and the government collapses soon. 

俺の勝利は揺るぎない

River

so are they going to ban Donkey Kong? King Kong? Kong p-rn?

I'm not serious 99% of the times ;)