Youre-Entitled-To-Your-Wrong-Opinion-Rea

🃏🖤👹

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Poissonche
1 minute ago, M Monstre said:

Youre-Entitled-To-Your-Wrong-Opinion-Rea

These 4 songs are shallow. Not bad, shallow. They are meant to be shallow. Just because it's a ballad does not mean it's not shallow. Lyrically, Before I Cry is on the same level as the others; being about a conjugal conflict and being slower doesn't mean it's better, it just means it's trying to sound dramatic. That's what I dislike about so many ballads, that are so not original but you feel like you're obligated to find it superior just because it's a ballad, and Before I Cry reminds me of those. Your opinion is right, my opinion is right, everybody's opinion is right, let's make an orgy with everybody's right opinion. Love.

Reality
26 minutes ago, Poissonche said:

These 4 songs are shallow. Not bad, shallow. They are meant to be shallow. Just because it's a ballad does not mean it's not shallow. Lyrically, Before I Cry is on the same level as the others; being about a conjugal conflict and being slower doesn't mean it's better, it just means it's trying to sound dramatic. That's what I dislike about so many ballads, that are so not original but you feel like you're obligated to find it superior just because it's a ballad, and Before I Cry reminds me of those. Your opinion is right, my opinion is right, everybody's opinion is right, let's make an orgy with everybody's right opinion. Love.

Well, first of all, my response wasn't meant to be taken so seriously. Everyone's entitled to like and dislike whatever they want. I just personally love the song.

But since we're on the topic, let's talk about it. First, are we assuming that Before I Cry fits in with the rest of the pop songs? Because from the lyrical content and the way it sounds, I have always envisioned it as being one of "old Ally's" songs. I never thought about the song as being from "pop Ally's" discography. I mean, we never hear the song in the movie either so is it just an assumption that it's "pop Ally" who wrote/sang this song? 

I think the other three songs are relatively shallow. Heal Me and Why Did You Do That? are pretty shallow songs, in terms of their lyrical content, and I think we can all agree on that. I do think Hair Body Face is a little deeper than it leads on to be, but I do think Before I Cry is better written. Maybe it's because I don't associate it with the other pop songs, and because of that anything "old Ally" pretty much has a deeper and fuller meaning than "pop Ally."

🃏🖤👹

Poissonche
2 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

Well, first of all, my response wasn't meant to be taken so seriously. Everyone's entitled to like and dislike whatever they want. I just personally love the song.

But since we're on the topic, let's talk about it. First, are we assuming that Before I Cry fits in with the rest of the pop songs? Because from the lyrical content and the way it sounds, I have always envisioned it as being one of "old Ally's" songs. I never thought about the song as being from "pop Ally's" discography. I mean, we never hear the song in the movie either so is it just an assumption that it's "pop Ally" who wrote/sang this song? 

I think the other three songs are relatively shallow. Heal Me and Why Did You Do That? are pretty shallow songs, in terms of their lyrical content, and I think we can all agree on that. I do think Hair Body Face is a little deeper than it leads on to be, but I do think Before I Cry is better written. Maybe it's because I don't associate it with the other pop songs, and because of that anything "old Ally" pretty much has a deeper and fuller meaning than "pop Ally."

ya I know you weren't serious but I needed to express my feelings and I grabbed the opportunity hahaha.

But yes, I think we can group Before I Cry with the other pop songs, for the simple reason that its production is much poppier than the other Ally ballads. You know, to me, it plays the same role as Sometimes played on Baby One More Time: the hit ballad that has kind of a pop beat so it's not really a ballad but it still kinda is. Not saying the two are similar at all, just, they have the same function. Also, I'm grouping it with the other pop songs lyrically-wise, because even if the Before I Cry lyrics are more serious, they're still generic. Very on-the-surface, contrarily to the other Ally ballads, which have got so much more depth and originality. There is not much reflection to be made on it. Well, that's how I see it. I might be wrong. But hey. That's really the feeling I get.

Reality
22 minutes ago, Poissonche said:

ya I know you weren't serious but I needed to express my feelings and I grabbed the opportunity hahaha.

But yes, I think we can group Before I Cry with the other pop songs, for the simple reason that its production is much poppier than the other Ally ballads. You know, to me, it plays the same role as Sometimes played on Baby One More Time: the hit ballad that has kind of a pop beat so it's not really a ballad but it still kinda is. Not saying the two are similar at all, just, they have the same function. Also, I'm grouping it with the other pop songs lyrically-wise, because even if the Before I Cry lyrics are more serious, they're still generic. Very on-the-surface, contrarily to the other Ally ballads, which have got so much more depth and originality. There is not much reflection to be made on it. Well, that's how I see it. I might be wrong. But hey. That's really the feeling I get.

I will agree with you on the production. It's very obvious that it is "poppier" than songs like ARUTW and ISA?, however, I just don't see this song as something super shallow and surface-level.

Maybe when compared to a song like I'll Never Love Again, sure, the lyrics are more "basic," but I don't think the song itself is "basic." I think there is a distinct difference between a song like Before I Cry and Why Did You Do That? The latter song is the definition of what it means to have a shallow song. The only exception to that is when Jackson uses her lyrics against her in scene 98.

Perhaps there's a middle ground in this. Content-wise, I think that we can both agree that this is "old ally" singing. The distinction is that songs like Heal Me and Why Did You Do That? have a very 'superficial-love' theme to them. Before I Cry (in terms of its lyrical content) sounds like an Ally song: it can easily relate to the situation she's in and the struggles she's having in her relationship with Jack. That said, production wise it is definitely "poppier" than most of her ballads, and I suppose, when you compare it to heavier songs (i.e. INLA), it does seem more "basic."

🃏🖤👹

Miracle

1. Before I Cry (work 80s anthem)

2. Heal Me

3. Hair Body Face

4. Why Did You Do That

BIC used to be my favourite song from the soundtrack (for like three days) because it's very in your face, it's nostalgic and could easily fit in a 80s rom com finale but I agree that under the package of orchestra, late eighties to early 90s pop instrumentation and Cher-inspired melodramatic vocals, Before I Cry might be the weakest ballad in terms of composition

ReidOne

1. Hair Body Face

2. Why Did You Do That

3. Heal Me

4. Before I Cry

They are all good, but the first two are in a class above! 

GAGASEXUAL

1- I Don't Know What Love Is

2- Always Remember Us This Way

3- Before I Cry

4- Heal Me

5- I'll Never Love Again

Mess I'm trying so hard to get into WDYDT but I just can't tbh :nooo:

I find her voice so... strained in the chorus... basically I don't like it for the same reason that I despise The Middle :messga:

But WDYDT is definitely better than The Middle, I can still bop to it, The Middle is like actual sin for me :gum:

Archived