Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
opinion

Gaga's best bridge

Phoebe Buffay

Featured Posts

Ziggy
13 hours ago, derpmonster said:

I LOVE IT

But is it a bridge? The structure of Gypsy isn't a regular pop song structure. It just feels like a modified verse/chorus.

It is, but a very long one. It starts at “And then he asked me he said baby!” And continues until “for life”. A bridge is, by definition, a melody which differs from the verses and chorus.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ziggy

What I’ve noticed about her bridges is that it’s always VERY obvious that she writes them last as they tend to encapsulate the energy of the song that they work within. The Queen, DITD, Hey Girl, MTN, all of these imo capture exactly what she wants the song to say to listeners. And she arrives at that point after working through her thoughts via the verses and choruses and their associated melodies. It’s like she has an inspirational clarity when she writes her bridges.

derpmonster
1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

It is, but a very long one. It starts at “And then he asked me he said baby!” And continues until “for life”. A bridge is, by definition, a melody which differs from the verses and chorus.

It's a very similar melody with the chorus and verse. Not too different actually.

"And then he asked me" is very similar to the first verse, "Sometimes a story has no end" and goes on to the chorus (with different words) "baby for life". The whole thing is the same length as the verse and chorus.

Another thing is that the "I'm I'm I'm" hook is both after the second verse (before this part) and then as an outro after this part. That's pretty atypical and usually wouldn't be the way a song ends. But that sort of happens in Heavy Metal Lover too ("I could be your girl girl girl"). HML's real bridge is much more defined though.

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

IllusionLover

Perfect Illusion is the best, but it would be better without the lead vocals over it

13 | this is my dancefloor i fought for, your voice is louder, it echoes

Inferno
27 minutes ago, IllusionLover said:

Perfect Illusion is the best, but it would be better without the lead vocals over it

Perfect Illusion doesn't have a bridge.

Ziggy
1 hour ago, derpmonster said:

It's a very similar melody with the chorus and verse. Not too different actually.

"And then he asked me" is very similar to the first verse, "Sometimes a story has no end" and goes on to the chorus (with different words) "baby for life". The whole thing is the same length as the verse and chorus.

Another thing is that the "I'm I'm I'm" hook is both after the second verse (before this part) and then as an outro after this part. That's pretty atypical and usually wouldn't be the way a song ends. But that sort of happens in Heavy Metal Lover too ("I could be your girl girl girl"). HML's real bridge is much more defined though.

Oh I’m not denying it’s an atypical structure. It’s VERY Springsteen, much more so than TEOG imo, and he works with atypical structures a lot.

TEANUS

Bad Romance, Dance In the Dark, Born This Way, Do What U Want, John Wayne, Joanne

And while we’re speaking of bridges can we talk about how killer it would’ve been if after the head voice solo in Applause’s bridge she broke into a DITD/ BTW style vocals bridge :cryga:

British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS

TEANUS

1 hour ago, Inferno said:

Perfect Illusion doesn't have a bridge.

Where are you cause I can’t see

Now I feel you watching me

Dilated, falling free

In a modern ecstasy 

British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS

IllusionLover
41 minutes ago, TEANUS said:

But* I feel you watching me

Dilated, falling free

In a modern ecstasy 

fixed it :reductive:

13 | this is my dancefloor i fought for, your voice is louder, it echoes

Frankenztein

I might be the only one but I love You and I's. Can't buy a house in heaven indeed.

Inferno
19 hours ago, TEANUS said:

Now I feel you watching me

Dilated, falling free

In a modern ecstasy 

OHHH I guess so, that never seemed like a bridge to me though?

Archived