đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Bruce Hampton Dies Onstage During B-Day Performance

CommonWhiteGirl

Featured Posts

CommonWhiteGirl

When Col. Bruce Hampton slowly fell to his knees during the finale of his star-studded birthday concert, fans and musicians alike thought it was another one of his quirky performance acts.

Fourteen-year-old guitar phenom Brandon "Taz" Niederauer tore into a blistering solo as the 70-year-old man lay motionless just feet away, his arm draped over a speaker.

For several more minutes, dozens of musicians -- including John Popper of Blues Traveler, Warren Haynes of The Allman Brothers Band and John Bell of Widespread Panic -- jammed away to one of Hampton's favorite songs "Turn On Your Love Light." The fans danced and the musicians smiled as they waited for him to get up.

But Col. Bruce never did.

The eccentric guitarist and singer known as the forefather of the jam band scene died after collapsing Monday night at the end of the show billed by Atlanta's Fox Theatre as "Hampton 70: A Celebration of Col. Bruce Hampton." He had turned 70 a day earlier.

Thornton joined Hampton on stage for the "Love Light" encore and beamed as Hampton belted out the first part of the tune with his bluesy growl. Hampton paced across the stage and teased the audience by pretending to leave before he re-emerged. Then he fell to his knees.

When people began to realize this was no stunt, the band abruptly ended the song and a hush fell over the crowd. Stunned fans looked at one another and asked, "What just happened?"

"We're going to take care of business backstage here," Thornton said. "Thank you so much. We love you so much. Thanks for honoring Bruce Hampton on his 70th."

Outside, fans gathered on the street as an ambulance and firetruck arrived. Hampton was carried out of the theater on a stretcher. People cheered when he was loaded into the ambulance and shouted "Brrruuuccccee" as they had done throughout the night.

LINK: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bruce-hampton-collapses-and-dies-performing-birthday-concert/ 

hoeslay

So tragic but soooooo beautiful. What an amazing way to go out. Genuinely poetic and just so crazy how things like this happen. 

ZiggyZiggs

Wow ****. he went out doing what he loved most . Rest In Peace sir 

littlepotter

RIP :( truth be told, this has to be the best way I've ever known someone to die. Mourir sur scène, as they say in French. He went doing what he loves :nick:

chaeri pls

Wolf

RIP.

Reminds me of Tommy Cooper, a comedian who died of a heart attack on stage.

Harry

Jesus. This literally sounds like the end of a film. May he Rest In Peace...

LaLuna
7 minutes ago, Wolf said:

RIP.

Reminds me of Tommy Cooper, a comedian who died of a heart attack on stage.

That was my first thought too.

RIP good sir.

JiU

At least he died happy and where he belongs: on stage. 

May his soul rest in peace.

venusfly
34 minutes ago, LittleHunty said:

This is tragic, but I feel like this is how Gaga's going to go out. RIP to this legend. 

This line was really unnecessary. Remove it :wtf:

Florian

That's the best way an artist would want to leave Earth, singing to a cheering and passionate crowd.

May he rests in peace and his voice forever resonate in the heart of his fans

Archived