Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

US Charts Discussion (Part 3)

Americano

Featured Posts

jhonyguy04

I don't blame stuff that happened on Interscope completely. There were a lot of mistakes that Gaga did, which decreased her appeal. The main thing is the religious imagery/themes she got obcessed with starting with Alejandro, and blowing up all through Born this Way. And not to mention the number of songs that could have been hits in TFM, but were all ignored. sigh...

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arturo

• Americano

• Valentino

• Klou

Top Posters In This Topic

Klou

I don't blame stuff that happened on Interscope completely. There were a lot of mistakes that Gaga did, which decreased her appeal. The main thing is the religious imagery/themes she got obcessed with starting with Alejandro, and blowing up all through Born this Way. And not to mention the number of songs that could have been hits in TFM, but were all ignored. sigh...

Her decisions during TFM did not hurt her at all. They propelled her into her peak... It was during BTW where her popularity in the US was hampered.

yeah, the religious imagery needs to go, we've had enough

it'll always get ppl comparing her to madonna

CoolTrainerTerry

yeah, the religious imagery needs to go, we've had enough

it'll always get ppl comparing her to madonna

People will always compare her to Madonna, though.

BB Hot 100 calculations for the week based on 7 days of itunes bars, current airplay and a streaming estimate

#position, sales (000's) + airplay (A.I. millions) + streaming (20Ks) = points*, artist, song, (change on Hot 100)

#1 234 + 199 + 55 = 355 Gotye STIUTK ft Kimbra (=)

#2 293 + 131 + 50 = 331 Carly Rae Jepsen CMM (=)

#3 266 + 135 + 49 = 317 Maroon 5 Payphone ft. Khalifa (=)

#4 137 + 157 + 44 = 252 Fun. WAY ft. Monae (=)

#5 138 + 130 + 33 = 220 Nicki Minaj Starships (=)

#6 125 + 124 + 33 = 207 Flo Rida WO ft Sia (=)

#7 124 + 115 + 34 = 200 One Direction WMYB (=)

#8 142 + 78 + 35 = 183 Justin Bieber Boyfriend (+1)

#9 80 + 118 + 33 = 176 The Wanted GYC (-1)

#10 144 + 80 + 20 = 171 Rihanna WHYB (+1)

#11 85 + 87 + 28 = 149 Train DB (+1)

#12 156 + 53 + 8 = 144 Pitbull BIT (+2)

#13 107 + 77 + 15 = 141 Usher Scream (=)

#14 203 + 0 + -- = 122 Justin Bieber DIYA (New)

#15 53 + 94 + 20 = 121 Kelly Clarkson Stronger (=)

#16 108 + 54 + 11 = 119 Luke Bryan DOY (+6)

#17 92 + 58 + 16 = 118 Karmin Brokenhearted (-1)

#18 81 + 47 + 25 = 111 Ellie Goulding Lights (-1)

#19 83 + 59 + 13 = 110 Eric Church Springsteen (=)

#20 92 + 44 + 18 = 108 David Guetta + Sia Titanium (+5)

*points = 60% x sales/K + 80% x airplay (A.I. millions) + 5% x on demand streaming/K

top 7 same as last 2 weeks

BB Hot 100 calculations for the week based on 7 days of itunes bars, current airplay and a streaming estimate

#position, sales (000's) + airplay (A.I. millions) + streaming (20Ks) = points*, artist, song, (change on Hot 100)

#1 234 + 199 + 55 = 355 Gotye STIUTK ft Kimbra (=)

#2 293 + 131 + 50 = 331 Carly Rae Jepsen CMM (=)

#3 266 + 135 + 49 = 317 Maroon 5 Payphone ft. Khalifa (=)

#4 137 + 157 + 44 = 252 Fun. WAY ft. Monae (=)

#5 138 + 130 + 33 = 220 Nicki Minaj Starships (=)

Ready to kill whoever's responsible for this. STIUTK is the only presentable song.

Edited by ghettogoth77

boysboysboys

:fail:

There is nothing wrong with religious imagery: the Church overlooks other artists doing it.

People will always compare her to Madonna, though.

yeah i know, but why feed the flames? :devil:

Her decisions during TFM did not hurt her at all. They propelled her into her peak... It was during BTW where her popularity in the US was hampered.

Alejandro video set the stage for Madonna comparisons and for some people pre-judging Judas. It's the most gay-centric video too. The song wasn't a critical or commerical smash in US or UK, considering the momentum going in.

No harm being inspired by things people LIKE about Madonna. Only stans are pissed about EY-BTW garbage.

But NEVER copy what people hate about Madonna (religious controversy, etc) because people will have less tolerance and respect the second time.

That also why it's great Gaga is a sweetheart like Kylie.

Edited by craig

Klou

Alejandro video set the stage for Madonna comparisons and for some people pre-judging Judas. It's the most gay-centric video too. The song wasn't a critical or commerical smash in US or UK, considering the momentum going in.

No harm being inspired by things people LIKE about Madonna. Only stans are pissed about EY-BTW garbage.

But NEVER copy what people hate about Madonna (religious controversy, etc) because people will have less tolerance and respect the second time.

That also why it's great Gaga is a sweetheart like Kylie.

I understand what you're saying, but with all the hype and the massive first and second week numbers for BTW (single) proved she did all the right things during TFM. The Madonna comparisons (initially) I think were more in her favor. She was being compared to the most successful female pop artist in history.

Americano

Alejandro was her first massive hit in Latin America and in Euro countries like Greece. It was also big in Southeastern Asia, where she now can sell out stadiums.

It was one of the top played songs of 2010 in the UK, and #1 end-of-year airplay in Brazil.

While not a resounding US success (it went 2x platinum and Top 10, so that speaks to her huge success overall during TFM), it helped build her global appeal.

Born This Way had its pluses of bringing around adult radio in the US, and more critical acclaim, but it definitely also made her a more polarizing star and brought comparisons to Madonna in a negative way. All eras were album sellers and radio successes (Lady Gaga was a top played artist from 2009 THROUGH 2011), but she gradually transitioned from a universally popular pop star to a polarizing/heavily debated star. Fans can look at that as a good and bad thing. She's taken more seriously now, but hated by many more.

Edited by Americano

The basic problem is Gaga pushes the envelope of what US radio will play.

First with dance in 08-09, it caught on.

Then with louder, heavier, noisier beats and more innovative songs ... mixed results.

If you want CONSISTENT hits, you need safer songs. If want Gaga to be musically INNOVATIVE, you have to accept some issues with radio.

Edited by craig

Americano

The basic problem is Gaga pushes the envelope of what US radio will play.

First with dance in 08-09, it caught on.

Then with louder, heavier, noisier beats and more innovative songs ... mixed results.

If you want CONSISTENT hits, you need safer songs.

Yeah, Billboard even recognized upon BTW's album release that most of the single selections would be tough for radio to swallow.

jhonyguy04

when Alejandro video came, her public image went down. Madonna comparisons started. I hate that video. Especially the dancing black and white part. Ppl did not have to tell me. I was like, "is that Madonna"??? Like serriously.

What I hate most about all the in your face religious imagery is not the backlash from conservatives, but the fact that Madonna has been there done that. That was iconic for her. Why does Gaga insist on clinging to that.

Edited by jhonyguy04

boysboysboys

when Alejandro video came, her public image went down. Madonna comparisons started. I hate that video. Especially the dancing black and white part. Ppl did not have to tell me. I was like, "is that Madonna"??? Like serriously.

What I hate most about all the in your face religious imagery is not the backlash from conservatives, but the fact that Madonna has been there done that. That was iconic for her. Why does Gaga insist on clinging to that.

Why shouldn't she? And people have been doing that before Madonna.

You bow down to Gaga's detractors too easily, Jhony.

It's not religious imagery that is hampering her in the States.

Edited by boysboysboys