Sam Smith Doesn't Want to Be a Gay Spokesperson

LordDisick

Featured Posts

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's his prerogative! 

For a group of people rebelling against expectations that society has set, you're certainly projecting expectations onto him for the sole reason that he's gay.

In all honesty, I'm ****ing ready for the normalization of homos-xuality versus the glorification of or hyperfocus on homos-xuality.

At the end of the day, I don't care that he doesn't want to be a "gay spokesperson".I just wish he wasn't vocal about it (hope that makes sense).

We're caught between the desire for this "normalization" and the fact that even gay people shame each other for being too gay. I think a little focus on homos-xuality would do good for such a self-loathing community. 

Yes, but not someone who explicitly says they don't want sh*t to do with a major cause. He's pretty much celebrating the fact that not even mentioning his s-xuality beyond coming out has spared him mean internet comments. It was a pretty bad choice of words.

this

Willy Wonka

At the end of the day, I don't care that he doesn't want to be a "gay spokesperson".I just wish he wasn't vocal about it (hope that makes sense).

We're caught between the desire for this "normalization" and the fact that even gay people shame each other for being too gay. I think a little focus on homos-xuality would do good for such a self-loathing community. 

I think it's good that he was open about it. I mean, look at the expectations that have already been placed upon him. Because he's gay, he's expected to be a vocal advocate, to be the face of the LGBT community, to prioritize gay identity over any other identity he holds, etc. He's saying he has no interest in that and I respect that.

I don't think him tweeting about marriage equality would help homophobic gays. I think that's a completely different and unrelated issue. The glorification of masculinity is not something that a casual advocate could even begin to affect change upon.

I think it's good that he was open about it. I mean, look at the expectations that have already been placed upon him. Because he's gay, he's expected to be a vocal advocate, to be the face of the LGBT community, to prioritize gay identity over any other identity he holds, etc. He's saying he has no interest in that and I respect that.

I don't think him tweeting about marriage equality would help homophobic gays. I think that's a completely different and unrelated issue. The glorification of masculinity is not something that a casual advocate could even begin to affect change upon.

I'm not trying to say there should be any expectation for Sam Smith to be political, nor am I saying there's expectation for him to enlighten homophobic gays. 

All I'm saying is, he should be quiet. If he doesn't want to be involved, he shouldn't have even suggested that he's better off by rejecting gay identity while plenty of kids are suicidal for doing the same. 

Whispering

Yes, but not someone who explicitly says they don't want sh*t to do with a major cause. He's pretty much celebrating the fact that not even mentioning his s-xuality beyond coming out has spared him mean internet comments. It was a pretty bad choice of words.

That's not what he said, nor did he say anything about his current feeling on this matter being due to worrying about internet comments. He simply stated that he didn't want to be a spokesperson. (btw, the guy gets tons of vile internet comments, due to the fact that people know he is gay) Sam is 22, never been in a relationship and spent most of his life in music and theatre. He was accepted in his family and in his environment growing up. Did you ever think that just maybe he doesn't feel comfortable with trying to be a any kind of spokesman at this time or that he just simply isn't a political person?

Some members of the LGBT community are the first in line at every political and social event. Some would never dream of going to a rally or a parade. Many change their ideas and feelings along the way. Just because you feel one way at 22, doesn't mean you will not change your mind as you grow and mature.

Sam was a a kid who was sheltered and kept busy in the Arts most of his life. Give him some time to have a few relationships, experience the real world (outside of his family, friends, and theatre), meet fans who tell him stories of their lives and how he is an inspiration, etc. He may become more political as he gets more comfortable in this new world and as he matures....or he may not...and that will also be okay!

Willy Wonka

I'm not trying to say there should be any expectation for Sam Smith to be political, nor am I saying there's expectation for him to enlighten homophobic gays. 

All I'm saying is, he should be quiet. If he doesn't want to be involved, he shouldn't have even suggested that he's better off by rejecting gay identity while plenty of kids are suicidal for doing the same. 

I think that's where we're differing. I'm not reading this as him rejecting his gay identity whatsoever. If anything, I think his statement is incredibly empowering.

DrewStevens

That's his prerogative!

For a group of people rebelling against expectations that society has set, you're certainly projecting expectations onto him for the sole reason that he's gay.

In all honesty, I'm ****ing ready for the normalization of homos-xuality versus the glorification of or hyperfocus on homos-xuality.

This. :applause:

Many people in this thread are twisting his words. He just said that being 'gay' has never been his lifestyle.

That's not what he said, nor did he say anything about his current feeling on this matter being due to worrying about internet comments. He simply stated that he didn't want to be a spokesperson. (btw, the guy gets tons of vile internet comments, due to the fact that people know he is gay) Sam is 22, never been in a relationship and spent most of his life in music and theatre. He was accepted in his family and in his environment. Did you ever think that just maybe he doesn't feel comfortable with trying to be a any kind of spokesman or that he just simply isn't a political person?

Some members of the LGBT community are the first in line at every political and social event. Some would never dream of going to a rally or a parade. Many change their ideas and feelings along the way. Just because you feel one way at 22, doesn't mean you will not change your mind as you grow and mature.

Sam was a a kid who was sheltered and kept busy in the Arts most of his life. Give him some time to have a few relationships, experience the real world (outside of his family, friends, and theatre), meet fans who tell him stories of their lives and how he is an inspiration, etc. He may become more political as he gets more comfortable in this new world and as he matures.

' “I was worried. I didn’t give the public enough credit,†Sam recently shared about coming out as gay just when his debut album hit shelves. “We were really panicky about it, but then as soon as we did it, I am just so proud of how people haven’t reacted.â€

He continued, “It’s because I’m not trying to be a spokesperson." '

He attributes a neutral public reaction to not "trying to be a spokesperson". That's just what the article said. I understand that he doesn't want to be political. He just wants to make music. That's totally fine and I think, in his position, I might feel the same way. 

However, it's just disappointing that he'd imply being political is a bad thing. That's all I'm saying. I'm not enraged at him; just pointing out he made a bad choice of words. 

Whispering

' “I was worried. I didn’t give the public enough credit,†Sam recently shared about coming out as gay just when his debut album hit shelves. “We were really panicky about it, but then as soon as we did it, I am just so proud of how people haven’t reacted.â€

He continued, “It’s because I’m not trying to be a spokesperson." '

He attributes a neutral public reaction to not "trying to be a spokesperson". That's just what the article said. I understand that he doesn't want to be political. He just wants to make music. That's totally fine and I think, in his position, I might feel the same way. 

However, it's just disappointing that he'd imply being political is a bad thing. That's all I'm saying. I'm not enraged at him; just pointing out he made a bad choice of words. 

Being political is a bad thing for him, if he doesn't feel comfortable in that position. Of course Sam and his team were panicky about coming out to the world before his career ever got established...any male artist would be. He is the first openly gay male to have a BB top 10 hit. (unless you count Elton's Candle in the Wind) That is solid proof that radio in the US doesn't exactly jump with excitement over gay male artists. He was risking a lot, just to come out in a public way, so early in his career.

Personally, I like the way he approached it all, like it shouldn't be a big deal. (even though he knew it was in the US, at least)

Computer

Come on Sam.

rGxPkHy.gif

Well.  I'm gay and I don't want to be a gay spokesperson either.  Sam and I have that in common, I guess.  Whatever he wants to do or not do, is obviously fine.

💚💛💕❣⭕💢💢 | ⓜⓔⓡⓡⓨ ©ⓗⓡⓘⓢⓣⓜⓐⓢ

Hmm Sam... Mister gay slut shamer, who wants "normalcy" doesn't want to be a gay spokesperson? What a shock.

Being political is a bad thing for him, if he doesn't feel comfortable in that position. Of course Sam and his team were panicky about coming out to the world before his career ever got established...any male artist would be. He is the first openly gay male to have a BB top 10 hit. (unless you count Elton's Candle in the Wind) That is solid proof that radio in the US doesn't exactly jump with excitement over gay male artists. He was risking a lot, just to come out in a public way, so early in his career.

Personally, I like the way he approached it all, like it shouldn't be a big deal. (even though he knew it was in the US, at least)

I wasn't trying to say he shouldn't be panicky about coming out...everyone is.

All I'm saying is if he wants to not be so open about his orientation he shouldn't begrudge people for attempting to make an actual difference in the world by saying they're trying to be spokespeople. 

Archived