other

Reminder: Tickets for Joker Folie à Deux go on sale today!

Ashley

Featured Posts

Reality
5 hours ago, Future Lovers said:

It isn’t going well. 

Pre-sales aren’t everything but it’s first day sales have been pretty abysmal. Lagging behind both The Marvels’ and The Flash’s first days.

Empire City wants to wait a few days to see if they’re changing the OW prediction but if things hold like they did today, a $100 million DOM OW is off the table.   

I'm not familiar with pre-sales numbers for many movies, but I have no doubts that this movie will do far better than both The Marvels and The Flash opening weekend. IIRC, the estimates were ~$115-$145 million domestic. I can definitely see it hitting that mark. Beetlejuice Beetlejuice got $110 million for its opening weekend and I think Joker 2 is of a similar notoriety, if not more. 

I think it's because the movie, for as high-profile as it is, still flies under the radar for a lot of people. Even amongst comic book fans, they're constantly talking about the MCU or the DCU. And if they're talking about an Elseworlds movie, they're usually talking about Matt Reeves' The Batman and not Joker. For many comic book film fans, it's always like "Oh yeah, and Joker 2's coming out too."

I think what'll make or break the film is going to be the audience response. Critics are one thing—many of them didn't like the first Joker movie either and the film was still immensely successful. Audiences were also divided on Joker, but I think more people liked it than not. Regardless, word of mouth will be tremendously important for this movie's box office.

🃏🖤👹
  • Like 1

Future Lovers
35 minutes ago, Reality said:

I'm not familiar with pre-sales numbers for many movies, but I have no doubts that this movie will do far better than both The Marvels and The Flash opening weekend. IIRC, the estimates were ~$115-$145 million domestic. I can definitely see it hitting that mark. Beetlejuice Beetlejuice got $110 million for its opening weekend and I think Joker 2 is of a similar notoriety, if not more. 

I think it's because the movie, for as high-profile as it is, still flies under the radar for a lot of people. Even amongst comic book fans, they're constantly talking about the MCU or the DCU. And if they're talking about an Elseworlds movie, they're usually talking about Matt Reeves' The Batman and not Joker. For many comic book film fans, it's always like "Oh yeah, and Joker 2's coming out too."

I think what'll make or break the film is going to be the audience response. Critics are one thing—many of them didn't like the first Joker movie either and the film was still immensely successful. Audiences were also divided on Joker, but I think more people liked it than not. Regardless, word of mouth will be tremendously important for this movie's box office.

I have to say, at least from my perspective, there is very, very little chance that the film's going to open to $115-$145 million domestic, at least at this juncture. I'd love to be wrong though. I have been before! But there's a lot of red flags at the moment that go even beyond just this abysmal first day of sales.

It may cross that $100 million mark domestically opening weekend. It may, But there's gotta be some face saving between now and then. 

Pre-sales are a good indication of what the core audience is going to do with a film. Those that are a built in fan of a franchise or brand will show up for pre-sales unless they've been turned off from it which is what we saw happening with The Marvels.

Now to be clear, I don't think it's opening weekend is going to be as small as The Marvels or The Flash's, but this first day of pre-sales is a big, big sign that the hype for the movie online is not translating outside of the bubbles it's coming from. As I said earlier, pre-sales aren't everything, but it's a sign of a problem when a sequel to a billion dollar film is performing this poorly in ticket sales when they go live. 

The first film's reputation has shifted quite a bit since 2019, and the shift hasn't been an overall positive one. The more time passes, the less overwhelming praise people throw toward it. It's not entirely the film's fault; it being latched onto by incel culture is not it's doing. But more people are also becoming aware of just how derivative a film it is (with scenes literally pulled almost beat for beat from other films) and how weak it's screenplay is which didn't commented on much outside of critics at the time. As such, WB already had a bit of an uphill climb on their hands reigniting audience enthusiasm. 

But they haven't. The press campaign so far has not turned in good results. The metrics and feedback it's been getting suggests a lot of outright confusion over what the film is, and everyone involved's refusal to call it a musical when we know it most definitely is way more of a musical than they've been leading on is not going to help that. 

You are correct about word of mouth. It's going to make or break the film. And if the film really ends the way I've read that it ends from those who were present or heard about it at Venice...I think we all need to buckle up. 

I don't think the movie is going to be a flop, but I also think that it is not going to come anywhere even close to hitting $1 billion. I think it's gonna be a sharp decline in total earnings when it's all said and done. 

I'll make a more specific estimate when I see opening weekend numbers, but I think the film's really gonna have a ceiling somewhere in the $700 millions, and even that I'm not so sure of right now. 

As for OW predictions on my end, I need to see more pre-sale data than just one day and then will need to see what it's true Friday take is. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a sub-$100 million domestic. It very well could be more. I hope it's more. I hope it hits the current estimates. But also prepare for that estimate to start to lower across the next few days. It's gonna have to pick some positive steam back up between now and then. 

Maybe a good promo tour can do that. We've seen Gaga hit that out of the park before. Maybe there's still a chance she wins back some audience favor (which could be a double edged sword considering how much of this she's actually in jnkhknl)

Edited by Future Lovers

ALGAYDO

I’m so sad that I couldn’t get the sept. 30 tickets :bradley: I got early access tickets for ASIB and HOG, so it sucks that I can’t do it with FAD, but at least I secured my Thursday tickets :enigma:

• YAAAS 1