💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Joanne - track by track - cherishing thread

Nessun Dorma

Featured Posts

Flippy
3 hours ago, PartySick said:

Shall I rewrite my short thesis on Joanne as a narrative?

Lemme copy+paste from my notes app.

Reveal hidden contents

Diamond Heart: Literally, it's about a breakup and Gaga exclaiming she knows her own worth and her heart is strong despite her flaws and pain. However, narratively, I consider this to be her immediate response to a painful situation. She stands defiant but clearly damaged. I also find the lyric "you want a good thing? put the money down first" interesting. It's almost as though she herself doesn't believe this new "person" will be there for her in the long term. Or rather, she doubts her own self worth. She gets the "money" up front because she believes when the man gets the "product" she's "selling", he'll be dissatisfied.

A-Yo: In this song, Gaga shrugs off the experience and acts playful and joyous. There's a darker feeling beneath the silly lyrics and boppy music though. It almost feels like she's in denial. This song is her "I'm fine!" statement.

Joanne: This song means three different things to me. First and most obviously, it's a tribute song to her aunt. Second, it's a song about herself (her own middle name is Joanne) and transformation. At my JWT date, she brought me to tears explaining how she felt she never knew her true dad because the pain of losing his sister changed him so dramatically that he became another person. Third, this could be seen as the bargaining stage. "Heaven's not ready for you / where do you think you're going?". It's a Gaga that's not ready to let go.

John Wayne: After bargaining comes anger, which itself has multiple phases and flavors. In this song, Gaga experiments with self destruction and self medication. "Baby, let's get high / I'm strung out on John Wayne".

Dancin' in Circles: The apathy and isolation phase of anger. Here, Gaga indulges in herself while shunning others, opting to imagine a perfect scenario and please herself rather than rely on somebody else for pleasure or happiness.

Perfect Illusion: Finally the anger stage in its pure form. Not much to say about this one other than it's (the painful situation) finally hit her and she feels cheated, angry, and maybe even powerless. So she rages.

Million Reasons: As cathartic as anger is, it leaves you feeling empty. The penultimate stage of pain/grief is depression. Gaga's sullen, she's longing for a happiness she's lost, and she feels hollow inside. All it would take is one glimmer of false hope to pull her backwards on this journey, one "good one to stay", but she's smart enough to know better.

Sinner's Prayer: The tears have dried but Gaga remains stoic and cold. That is, until she sees her sister in a similar situation she was in way back in Diamond Heart. She imparts her wisdom onto her sister and by helping her, she comes to a realization herself and finds a bit of peace and, finally, healing. The "baby sister who looks just like me" could also be her reflecting on her past, tracing her mistakes, and learning her lessons.

Come to Mama: The altruism expands in this song and she realizes that pain begets pain. Hurt people have a propensity to hurt people. Here, she finally speaks to the listener directly for the first time, offering the chance to share their pain and lean on her for support.

Hey Girl: A continuation of CTM, but more mutual. Now, she's not only offering to lift up another, she's realizing that she, too, needs support to continue healing.

Angel Down: In my narrative, I like to imagine this as the second painful experience. Rather than immediately jumping to anger, denial, and immature reactions or habits, she laments but in a healthy and intelligent way. Demanding action over reaction.

Grigio Girls: She's not alone this time. She has a support system to help keep her lifted. She knows she's able to cry and experience these negative emotions but unlike before, rage doesn't invade her mind. She processes the emotions, carries them, and moves on.

Just Another Day: The true antithesis of the first half of this album. She's been hurt again but she won't fall back to destructive ways. Instead, she breathes deep, she's easier on herself, and she smiles because she knows even though her heart aches, the world is beautiful and life is a gift. She's able to adjust and adapt to changing situations. She's found an inner peace and stability that she didn't have before. She's learned to let herself heal.

Deserved to be a visual narrative album tbh

THANK FUCK YOU FINALLY POSTED THIS :tony:

TMBT 3.22.11 // TBTWB 1.17.13 // ArtRAVE 6.3.14 // C2CT 5.28.15 // TJWT 8.13.17 // Chromatica World Tour 9.8.22

Nessun Dorma
5 hours ago, A Real Panda said:

Million Reasons, the little engine that could. This song holds a special place in my heart, I loved this song from the moment I heard it. Oh, I remember the days when people wanted to scrap this as the 2nd single because it wasnt charting and fellow fans were pretending to be soccer moms and requesting the song on radio, getting it playlisted on Spotify. Gaga pushing the song with so many performances (AMA, SNL, Royal Variety, many radio show performances and interviews). I thought Gaga's charting days were over until the Superbowl effect where we all rejoiced as it shot up to #4 securing Gaga a hit for the Joanne era.

I didn’t know about the fans pretending to be soccer moms! :icant:

5 hours ago, A Real Panda said:

Angel Down has such a beautiful message and Gaga's voice is just amazing especially the switch from the "angry" chorus to the sad ooh-oohs sounds so beautifully haunting.

YEEESS! I consider this part the climax of the song! 

Kindness Punk
  • Love 1

Nessun Dorma
5 hours ago, 2School4Cool said:

One of my favorite albums! Severely underrated, but it has some of her most touching music. I've always been a fan of when artists strip things down and just sit with an acoustic guitar or a piano, so moments like Joanne and Million Reasons were instant standouts to me. Angel Down is also one of the highlights of her catalogue for me.

Same here! Gaga’s best moments for me are the ones she’s only singing and playing the piano. Your comment made me think of her stripped down performance of HMH at the Oscars. That moment was insane, it gave me goosebumps! 

Kindness Punk
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Nessun Dorma
5 hours ago, GagaGame said:

Although I think that the production is basic and rushed, I love the album (it's not my favorite tho)

I’m curious now, do you mind if I ask you why do you think it’s rushed? It never occurred to me before.

Kindness Punk

Nessun Dorma
5 hours ago, BabylonChristmas said:

They're just so healing to me :ally: I can't help but cry when I listen to the piano version of Joanne though.

I relate to you in this matter! I truly believe music in general helps healing the soul. As a matter of fact, music is what makes my life bearable is several moments! 

Kindness Punk
  • Love 1

PartySick
57 minutes ago, Flippy said:

**** YOU :tony:

This is all I saw :traumatica:

The worst part is this'll get censored in my quote 'cause only CC and bronze mods can cuss for some reason :traumatica:

💚
  • Shook 1

Nessun Dorma
5 hours ago, ryansamonster said:

Loved A-yo and Sinner’s Prayer since the first dive bar performance! They remain favorites off the album. Also A-yo on SNL is probably one of my fav performances from the era. Dancin in Circles, John Wayne, and of course DIAMOND HEART are standouts. Joanne and Million Reasons are very moving and beautiful.

Oh that’s right, I forgot to mention the Dive Bar Tour! This was such a wise promotional strategy! Her performance at The Bitter End is one of those full circle moments! 
One of my favorite performances from the era is Million Reasons at Howard Stern. The magic she can do with her vocals and a piano always blows my mind. 

5 hours ago, ryansamonster said:

I also especially loved seeing Gaga go a little more natural, and fully embraced the band t and jeans kinda gal, since that’s usually my everyday look too. I felt even closer to Gaga because of this era! My Grandma was named Joanne and I also have an Aunt Joanne so by the name alone I instantly felt connected. 

I felt this connection too. She became so much more relatable to me, that’s when I was able to recognize and appreciate Stefani and not only the persona she created.

Kindness Punk

Nessun Dorma
5 hours ago, PartySick said:

Shall I rewrite my short thesis on Joanne as a narrative?

Lemme copy+paste from my notes app.

Reveal hidden contents

Diamond Heart: Literally, it's about a breakup and Gaga exclaiming she knows her own worth and her heart is strong despite her flaws and pain. However, narratively, I consider this to be her immediate response to a painful situation. She stands defiant but clearly damaged. I also find the lyric "you want a good thing? put the money down first" interesting. It's almost as though she herself doesn't believe this new "person" will be there for her in the long term. Or rather, she doubts her own self worth. She gets the "money" up front because she believes when the man gets the "product" she's "selling", he'll be dissatisfied.

A-Yo: In this song, Gaga shrugs off the experience and acts playful and joyous. There's a darker feeling beneath the silly lyrics and boppy music though. It almost feels like she's in denial. This song is her "I'm fine!" statement.

Joanne: This song means three different things to me. First and most obviously, it's a tribute song to her aunt. Second, it's a song about herself (her own middle name is Joanne) and transformation. At my JWT date, she brought me to tears explaining how she felt she never knew her true dad because the pain of losing his sister changed him so dramatically that he became another person. Third, this could be seen as the bargaining stage. "Heaven's not ready for you / where do you think you're going?". It's a Gaga that's not ready to let go.

John Wayne: After bargaining comes anger, which itself has multiple phases and flavors. In this song, Gaga experiments with self destruction and self medication. "Baby, let's get high / I'm strung out on John Wayne".

Dancin' in Circles: The apathy and isolation phase of anger. Here, Gaga indulges in herself while shunning others, opting to imagine a perfect scenario and please herself rather than rely on somebody else for pleasure or happiness.

Perfect Illusion: Finally the anger stage in its pure form. Not much to say about this one other than it's (the painful situation) finally hit her and she feels cheated, angry, and maybe even powerless. So she rages.

Million Reasons: As cathartic as anger is, it leaves you feeling empty. The penultimate stage of pain/grief is depression. Gaga's sullen, she's longing for a happiness she's lost, and she feels hollow inside. All it would take is one glimmer of false hope to pull her backwards on this journey, one "good one to stay", but she's smart enough to know better.

Sinner's Prayer: The tears have dried but Gaga remains stoic and cold. That is, until she sees her sister in a similar situation she was in way back in Diamond Heart. She imparts her wisdom onto her sister and by helping her, she comes to a realization herself and finds a bit of peace and, finally, healing. The "baby sister who looks just like me" could also be her reflecting on her past, tracing her mistakes, and learning her lessons.

Come to Mama: The altruism expands in this song and she realizes that pain begets pain. Hurt people have a propensity to hurt people. Here, she finally speaks to the listener directly for the first time, offering the chance to share their pain and lean on her for support.

Hey Girl: A continuation of CTM, but more mutual. Now, she's not only offering to lift up another, she's realizing that she, too, needs support to continue healing.

Angel Down: In my narrative, I like to imagine this as the second painful experience. Rather than immediately jumping to anger, denial, and immature reactions or habits, she laments but in a healthy and intelligent way. Demanding action over reaction.

Grigio Girls: She's not alone this time. She has a support system to help keep her lifted. She knows she's able to cry and experience these negative emotions but unlike before, rage doesn't invade her mind. She processes the emotions, carries them, and moves on.

Just Another Day: The true antithesis of the first half of this album. She's been hurt again but she won't fall back to destructive ways. Instead, she breathes deep, she's easier on herself, and she smiles because she knows even though her heart aches, the world is beautiful and life is a gift. She's able to adjust and adapt to changing situations. She's found an inner peace and stability that she didn't have before. She's learned to let herself heal.

Deserved to be a visual narrative album tbh

When you said thesis I didn’t expect an actual thesis! I’m awestruck by your analysis! It’s so conscious and sensible! I loved how you connected each song to a feeling, each plot to an experience. The stages of bargain, anger, apaphy, pain, altruism and finally healing made so much sense to me. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Joanne, I had a great time reading it and ended up with tears in my eyes (she’s learned to let herself heal:traumatica:

Kindness Punk
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

PartySick
10 minutes ago, Nessun Dorma said:

When you said thesis I didn’t expect an actual thesis! I’m awestruck by your analysis! It’s so conscious and sensible! I loved how you connected each song to a feeling, each plot to an experience. The stages of bargain, anger, apaphy, pain, altruism and finally healing made so much sense to me. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Joanne, I had a great time reading it and ended up with tears in my eyes (she’s learned to let herself heal:traumatica:

Pink hat haters could never get it :bradley:

The way that clicked in my mind one day at work while listening to the whole album though. I had to sprint away, hide, and write it down :ladyhaha:

Joanne does so much for me :traumatica: she lets me rage when I need to but always keeps one hand on my shoulder reminding me to breathe and be easy on myself :traumatica:

💚
  • Love 1

ThisGuyTony

I hope it goes viral and people start appreciating it - just like Born This Way is now one of her most beloved eras with soooo many songs off it going viral. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

KindnessPunk

This album was everything I wanted from Gaga at the time. I wanted her to do a totally new sound, and she delivered. I also think this album was very needed, a breath of air after the ARTPOP era. 

some of my faves: 

Joanne - listening to this track now, and it really feels and sounds like Gaga takes a very much needed pause to reflect on her family. A really really touching piece of music, so so lovely. Especially after loosing someone this year this song means more to me now. 

Come to Mama - Look what that rainbow did! This song makes me so happy, such a positive message. I really love Gaga’s vocals on this one. I just realized that her vocals kinda sound like her vocals on “Oh Well” , love the background vocals as well (especially during the chorus) 

Hey Girl - MY GOOODNESS. THIS song is everything I wanted from Gaga for LG5, I wanted something mature, funky, and groovy. And that’s this song. I honestly don’t understand why the fanbase is so dismissive of this song. It’s truly gorgeous, the message is lovely, the production, vocals, Florence, what more could you want? And that BRIDGE. My goodness the first time I heard that bridge I felt like I was flying. One of the best songs Gaga has ever made, argue with the wall!!!!! 

Just Another Day - ahhh what can I say, just listen to the lyrics. Don’t take life so seriously, take it easy, enjoy life. What a great song to close out this chapter. She sounds so happy, her vocals so raw, it’s like she’s singing in the room. 

Side-note: would love to go a concert where she only does Joanne songs, maybe for the tenth anniversary? Which is CRAZY to think how time has quickly flown by, almost 10 years since this incredible album y’all. 

• Love 1

GagaGame
5 hours ago, Nessun Dorma said:

I’m curious now, do you mind if I ask you why do you think it’s rushed? It never occurred to me before.

I always thought Joanne was rushed because the melodies repeat a lot more than her past albums, some elements are missing on the production of songs, and some songs feel empty, I don't know how to describe it but yeah. I love the album though

LG7? CANCELLED

Nessun Dorma
11 hours ago, PartySick said:

Pink hat haters could never get it :bradley:

I know right?! They’re missing so much! 

The way that clicked in my mind one day at work while listening to the whole album though. I had to sprint away, hide, and write it down :ladyhaha:

So you actually wrote your thesis all at once? This is what I call a moment of enlightenment! You chose your words so beautifully :kara:

Joanne does so much for me :traumatica: she lets me rage when I need to but always keeps one hand on my shoulder reminding me to breathe and be easy on myself :traumatica:

Stop you’re making me cry again! I’m such a softie lol. But yeah, that’s the exact feeling. Listening to Joanne feels like sitting with a dear friend just having a good time (and some tears now and then) :traumatica:

Kindness Punk
  • Love 1

Nessun Dorma
13 hours ago, KindnessPunk said:

This album was everything I wanted from Gaga at the time. I wanted her to do a totally new sound, and she delivered. I also think this album was very needed, a breath of air after the ARTPOP era. 

This! I Believe Joanne was exactly what she needed to come back to herself after ARTPOP. 

Joanne - listening to this track now, and it really feels and sounds like Gaga takes a very much needed pause to reflect on her family. A really really touching piece of music, so so lovely. Especially after loosing someone this year this song means more to me now. 

This song always makes me think how family plays an important role in her life. I find this so beautiful. She remains faithful to what really matters in life.

Sorry to hear about your loss. May your heart find consolation in this difficult time :heart:

Come to Mama - Look what that rainbow did! This song makes me so happy, such a positive message. I really love Gaga’s vocals on this one. I just realized that her vocals kinda sound like her vocals on “Oh Well” , love the background vocals as well (especially during the chorus) 

This song always increases my dopamine levels! 

Hey Girl - MY GOOODNESS. THIS song is everything I wanted from Gaga for LG5, I wanted something mature, funky, and groovy. And that’s this song. I honestly don’t understand why the fanbase is so dismissive of this song. It’s truly gorgeous, the message is lovely, the production, vocals, Florence, what more could you want? And that BRIDGE. My goodness the first time I heard that bridge I felt like I was flying. One of the best songs Gaga has ever made, argue with the wall!!!!! 

Same here! Sometimes (actually most of the times ngl :laughga:) I don’t get this fanbase at all. 

I love the fact they sing to each other instead of separating the song in two halfs. It feels like a real a dialogue between friends. This bridge is life giving, the register change in Gaga’s voice to a softer tune is one of my favorite parts! 

Just Another Day - ahhh what can I say, just listen to the lyrics. Don’t take life so seriously, take it easy, enjoy life. What a great song to close out this chapter. She sounds so happy, her vocals so raw, it’s like she’s singing in the room. 

Couldn’t agree more! My favorite track from Joanne! 

Side-note: would love to go a concert where she only does Joanne songs, maybe for the tenth anniversary? Which is CRAZY to think how time has quickly flown by, almost 10 years since this incredible album y’all. 

That would be epic! Also I would love an acoustic piano version of the album!

And I’ve been thinking about it lately: a compillation of Gaga’s greatest hits on piano would be amazing. 

Off topic: your username matches my signature :kara:

Kindness Punk
  • Love 1

M i K E Y

Come to Mama and Hey Girl do NOT deserve the slander they get. CTM is beautifully uplifting and HG is a dreamy cute song about females sticking together. Overall this album really grew on me the most out of all Gaga albums