Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

How do you feel about Gaga's activism choices?

mic

Featured Posts

GipJo

Because you don't have to voice your opinion on everything. In fact, It's stupid to do so, because you don't know everything. Expecting someone to do so is also stupid.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

LordByron28

Extremely appreciative of it. She’s been to White House meetings advocating on behalf of removing DADT and gay marriage. Biden was one of the few that listened. She’s also done a lot of work in anti-bullying, empowerment, and mental health through the born this way foundation. Was a leading voice when talking about sexual harassment and violence within the industry a number of years before the ‘Me Too’ movement. 

I also think one of her biggest things she’s ever done is arrange the ‘One World’ concert for Covid relief. She did that choosing to shelve her marketing plans for Stupid Love for a greater purpose. In addition to that shelving her marketing plans for Chromatica in favor of supporting BLM and letting them take over her socials.

I do wish she was a bigger advocate or at least mentioned climate change and environmentalism though. 

Madame Goo Goo

Gaga has not performed in Israel since 2013

Lady Gaga doesn't owe us anything
  • Thanks 1

StressedOut

While her activism for the LGBTQ+ community is definitely something I admire about her, I don't necessarily expect her to necessarily branch off into different areas especially if it's not something she's passionate or knowledgeable about. 

I go to her for music/entertainment purposes, while I'd like to imagine maybe politically we skew in the same direction (even if at differing intensities), I'm not actively looking for her view on international politics. Yeah it'd be cool if she said something about what's going on, but that's under the assumption she'd condemn the ongoing war and the US funding of it. I'm sure everyone asking her to be more vocal would switch up if she instead actively supported it. 

So ultimately I'm in the position where I either give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she's aligned with what I believe and is/isn't doing her own work surrounding that. Or I don't and take her silence as being complicit/Pro-Israel and stop supporting/platforming her which is also fine. 

Her basically being a mouthpiece for the DNC is a whole other topic, but most of the country is in a "lesser of two evils" relationship with the democratic party... but yeah we should collectively hound or representatives and government for this change rather than celebrities, and if socially we're saying "you HAVE to have an opinion on this issue as a person who has a lot of followers and is 'influential'" then we can just be more discerning with who gets our support...

Dennis
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mic said:

- she actively supports zionist politicians and performs regularly in israel. She did not say a word about the injustice done in Palestine, Yemen and other locations in the region. One could say 'well she is just a postar', but then - look above what I wrote,

Zionist means someone who believes in Israel's right to exist btw, and that's 90% of the Jews.

I really don't understand what's the obsession with using this word? Are you casually expecting her to come out against politicians who believe in Israel's right to exist like Biden or what am I missing here? She's not stupid. She's actually smart enough to understand the issue here. And same goes for Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, Adele etc they all understand. Y'all come for her but not a single pop star spoke out against "Zionism".

Also Yemen civil war had nothing to do with Israel, it was a proxy war between Houthis (funded by Iran) and Saudi Arabia.

So start by condemning Iran and Saudi Arabia if you care about Yemen.

Edited by Dennis
  • Thanks 4

PartySick
35 minutes ago, LordByron28 said:

Was a leading voice when talking about sexual harassment and violence within the industry a number of years before the ‘Me Too’ movement.

Really, this is why I'm still in love with her.

I became a fan when she gave a speech before debuting Swine and it was obvious what she was talking about.

Then her work with Biden and The Hunting Ground team in 2015, along with Til It Happens to You, kept hitting me pretty deeply.

And now, she speaks from a place of somebody who's largely healed from her experiences.

As a victim of multiple types of SA, she's inspiring.

💚

PartySick
4 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Zionist means someone who believes in Israel's right to exist btw, and that's 90% of the Jews.

I really don't understand what's the obsession with using this word?

I always conflated it with an American term ('cause putting things in a domestic context helps to mold my thoughts and  feelings about it).

The US "manifested its destiny" all across the North American continent and left millions of indigenous people dead in its wake.

The definition of zionism seems to be different depending on who you ask so I stopped using the word entirely, but I do still have the understanding that it means "Jews have a right to the 'promise land'" which, according to some Israeli government officials, including the one that referred to Palestinians as "animals", includes all of Palestine, Lebanon, and some of Syria, Egypt, Iran, and Saudi Arabia. And to take those places would require mass death, war, and displacement, just as they're doing to Gaza right now.

To keep it related to the topic, I have to stress again that anyone who thinks Gaga is just ok with how Gazans are being treated by Israel is a fool :laughga: mother just knows she's not qualified to speak on it. She clearly supports peace and respect among people though and has never given anyone a reason to think otherwise.

💚
  • Like 3

Dennis
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, PartySick said:

The definition of zionism seems to be different depending on who you ask so I stopped using the word entirely, but I do still have the understanding that it means "Jews have a right to the 'promise land'" which, according to some Israeli government officials, including the one that referred to Palestinians as "animals", includes all of Palestine, Lebanon, and some of Syria, Egypt, Iran, and Saudi Arabia. And to take those places would require mass death, war, and displacement, just as they're doing to Gaza right now.

Exactly.

There are better words to use; Israeli far-right, Israeli nationalists, settlers, Netanyahu supporters etc,  all of these words would identify specific groups within Israel that are perpetuating violence and would be more effective communication-wise.

But "Zionists" has many different groups under its umbrella, it can range from people who believe in two-state solution (like Biden, or Israeli left) to extreme far-right like Ben Gvir etc..

Tal Mitnick is an 18 year old "Zionist" (by definition) who has been in jail for months for refusing to serve in the IDF.

People need to separate Israelis who live in Tel Aviv and places recognized by the U.N as Israeli territory, and Israelis who are actively colonizing Palestinian land (settlers who are settling in the West Bank and other places in violation of international laws)

Edited by Dennis
  • Like 3

Ziggy
2 hours ago, KeepOnSwimming said:

actually I am glad she doesn't support hamas. Good for her. Better to have a complex opinion in private then just posting #freepalestine. Because thats just an easy-on-the-mind way out that just keeps on with the hate and has literally no impact or solution whatsoever. I mean, dont get me wrong, please free Palestine...from Hamas. 

I am happy Gaga isn't just jumping on every popular train just to stay relevant or make people happy. Activism is best, when authentic. 

…is her stance complex? Lmao saying “I wish there was peace here” is basically the general sentiment of the last 40 some odd years :laughga:

Aren
2 hours ago, mic said:

- she actively supports zionist politicians and performs regularly in israel. She did not say a word about the injustice done in Palestine, Yemen and other locations in the region. One could say 'well she is just a postar', but then - look above what I wrote,

This could go both ways. She didn’t say anything about October 7.

Also, Zionist is not a bad word. The first person to use it in a derogatory manner was actually white supremacist David Duke.

• Like 3

StrawberryBlond

I think it's very wise of her to not speak out about every social issue because these days, you can't say anything online without someone blasting you for apparently saying the the wrong thing and attempting to cancel you. What's considered right today is considered cancellable tomorrow. You just can't win. It's partly why I don't participate on social media. If you're knowledgeable about an issue and and have a good group of open minded people to discuss it with, fair enough, but talking about anything controversial online with strangers is a minefield that anyone (and especially celebrities) with an ounce of sense shouldn't engage in. Gaga is smart enough to know there isn't an objective right and wrong to most issues and you can't please everyone and knows what side her bread is buttered. People who make a habit of running their mouth over everything controversial are not popular people.

Right now, celebrity worship is the lowest it's ever been, we're so much more jaded to them and immune to their BS, I've never seen so much backlash. I think after all these years of  people getting exposed through MeToo has caused us to realise that so many celebrities are secretly awful people who shouldn't be preaching to us about morality and what's the right way to think and feel. Celebrities don't have the power to end wars. People living in poverty in disadvantaged countries know political leaders are the only ones who can make a difference. It's high time privileged, sheltered people in the west realised this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CautiousLurker
5 hours ago, mic said:

- she collabs with Dylan Mulvaney then faced with media criticism she lashes out saying it is 'backlash'. People may love or hate Dylan, but without doubt Dylan's online presence has made reputation of trans community suffer tremendously.

Gaga specifically called out people calling what happened 'backlash' saying the reason people were upset was because they hate trans people - it was hate and NOT backlash - she really didn't mince words on this point.

I don't want to say definitively this is covertly transphobic but there's something in this statement that I'm uncomfortable with - so far as I know all Dylan has done is become a target of a transphobic mob - this just sounds like an excuse to express disdain for them.

• Thanks 3

highwayunicorn9

I think that at the end of the day we have to remember celebrities are people and personally I feel like I have not been as “activist” as I once was because of constantly feeling like I am not allowed to enjoy anything. It gets old and life is short. I care about all human life and I’m passionate about certain things but I cannot feel constant negativity about just living. We have to find some common ground and stop holding people to such high standards. Gaga has and always will be a major activist for the LGBTQIA+ so I think we should just take that as a win and move on.

• Thanks 1

Agunimon

I don't really give it much thought beyond appreciating the efforts she makes.

Flippy
6 hours ago, DitaDolla said:

1) she performed there only 2 times, the latest one was 2014 (a DECADE ago) - not regularly.

2) I rather anyone to stay silent rather than publicly speaking about it when the person is not educated on the situation - relevant to A LOT of people rn and A LOT of topics.

Exactly! Very much this.

Plus let’s not forget that when movies are coming and such, certain topics are off limits when the actors sign their contracts, including political things. Would I love for her to speak up about it? Absolutely. Either way, I’m sure she feels some time of way about it since we’ve seen what she stands for and has stood for for years! 

TMBT 3.22.11 // TBTWB 1.17.13 // ArtRAVE 6.3.14 // C2CT 5.28.15 // TJWT 8.13.17 // Chromatica World Tour 9.8.22