💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

CEREMONY | artRATE: the ARTPOP rate

Cruelty

Featured Posts

Juliandante
2 minutes ago, PMM said:

that look is one of the most underrated ever! 

I know! She looks fabulous. I also love her long white hair look from the same videoo

• YAAAS 3

ModernEcstasy

Oh Gosh! That excerpt made me tear up. 
All of the Darkness aside, ARTPOP was an absolutely beautiful moment during Gaga’s career and it is forever buried deep into my soul. 
I wish that we were able to have the celebration that its 10th anniversary deserved. But it is what it is. We still have the album to cherish and I can respect Gaga’s reasons for not wanting to revisit that dark chapter in her life. 

Edited by ModernEcstasy
  • Love 5

Ophelia

okay brb i'm going to get some 

artworks-000094032269-x932en-t500x500.jp

(i'm not sending any links nor asking for one, feds please do not delete this cult website)

...has anybody seen my disco stick?
  • YAAAS 2

Auralegends
6 minutes ago, heygurlhi said:

here to se G.U.Y. take it rightful top place 

2 minutes ago, Donatellah said:

same here!

Just now, SimonBaetens said:

me too!

Can't wait for this song đŸ„°

Cruelty

Greetings Himeros,
god of sexual desire, son of Aphrodite
Lay back, & feast
as this audio guides you through new & exciting positions

—‘G.U.Y.’ (2013)

Let’s go girls.

MyIg.gif

Accessibility notice: this ceremony includes gifs with flashing text. Every effort has been made to adhere to Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 as specified at https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/ :pawsup:

• Like 3
  • YAAAS 5
  • Love 4

Cruelty

18JND.gif

15 JEWELS N’ DRUGS – average 4.88

The highs: 10 x 2 [ @phantasmas @sillynate]

The lows: 1 x 21 [ @Batwings @Bronco @HIMe @Shipper @Space Cowboy @n1kos @Zed @Joshua81 @Ororo Munroe @GrandeAvenue @whoresup @monstertoronto @Jose Alberto @SpadesToStart @Zeitgeist @Scarlet Bitch @Tobcho @bionic @SpiritBunny @marrytheminogue @rinasawachanta]

5com.png

The rate claims its first victim, & is anyone honestly surprised? Under-loved & overlooked, ‘Jewels N’ Drugs’ settled in last place immediately, & stayed there for the duration of the voting period. I wanted to spotlight @Juliandante's comment, which really engaged with the spirit of the song. Gaga has always been a chameleon, an experimenter, dabbling in pop or rock or jazz, bringing in influences from disco or country or EDM. Under the tutelage of DJ White Shadow, ‘Jewels N’ Drugs’ sees Gaga dive headfirst into trap, & she’s bringing three of the all-time greatest rappers along for the ride.

That makes the song a predictable first out, since Gaga isn’t actually on much of it. But to be fair, she does shine in her sections, her bridge lyrics “don’t want your jewels, I want your drugs, don’t want your money, want your love” reformulating the principles of ‘ARTPOP’ & ‘Mary Jane Holland’ for the rap soundscape in which she finds herself. The three rappers—T.I., Too $hort & Twista—deliver killer lines, with Gaga praising their “totally fearless” willingness to “make a record that was inclusive” & to collaborate with an artist known for her LGBTQ+ fanbase.

My hot (& correct) take is that there are several worse songs on the album. DJ White Shadow’s production on ‘Jewels N’ Drugs’ is immaculate: expansive without overwhelming, clean without feeling sanitised, the instrumental tightly constructed from start to finish. Twista’s verse, in particular, is thrilling in its runaway-train loquacity. The iTunes Festival performance, beginning with the hilarious exclamation “they wouldn’t let him into the country, poor thing!” about a US-bound T.I., is an absolute scream. This is just another of Gaga’s divisive experiments, like ‘Cake’ or ‘Stache’ or no doubt countless demos sat rotting on hard drives. But the difference is that, thanks to its glossy production & famous features, this one made it onto an album – & Gagadaily has collectively decided that it just doesn’t belong.

Comments:

Spoiler

@TheSine A lot of people dislike the song, but it’s not bad when you’re in the right mood. If this was blasting in a club full of neon lights, I’d definitely start feeling it.

@HIMe Her worst song ever

@Werewolves Wanted I don’t care that this song is hated, it’s a really good one in my opinion. Love the killer family vibes she goes for lyrically.

@Onlygaga Monsters are waaay too harsh on this song. It’s definitely experimental for Gaga at the time, but it’s still catchy!

@Ultimecia DJWS went nuts on this one, and I love every dizzying second of it!

@Clarity I hate this song

@allanrocks I’m not a big fan of the song, but her vocals are amazing here.

@Julien Lockhart Clearly underrated

@ImMatt The main problem is the song doesn't have a proper chorus. The featured artists were poor choices and they don't add much. It's not a bad song though.

@JazzGa Not a fan of this one. The hook is so goofy it's throwaway, the rappers she "picked" (I mean DJWS picked for her) are totally random and TI is a problematic gross misogynist. She should have done her research for this one. 

@Gangie Interesting. Doesn’t deserve the hate it gets

@Joshua81 Huge mess. I only listened to this once maybe.

@TwistedTeeth A song that I personally think gets a lot of flack for no reason. Yes, it's a departure from Gaga's usual sound, but that's what the essence of ARTPOP is about. It's a fun song and DJ White Shadow breaks this song up in sections that keep it exciting. That said, I prefer the live version that was played during ArtRAVE. This song is definitely MEANT to be heard live.

@whoresup Disaster, enough said. 

@dimitristhe A bop, but quite mediocre compared to anything else Gaga released. Props to DJWS for the production, because he killed it here.

@ARTGOD This song slaps, the girls who get it get it. It’s not perfect but for an electronic trap song by Lady Gaga it’s as good as you can hope for. Production absolutely carries it though.

5cd9d1f82100005900d06bc3.gif?ops=scalefi

• Like 5
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 5
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 3

ARTPOPe

Either Dope or Jewels & Drugs out first, right? :reductive:

Edit: Welp... :mark:

Edited by ARTPOPe
Stream The Love Invention
  • Like 1