💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Will DVD, Blu-Ray, 4K Blu- Ray, and CD’s make a come back?

BARKDANGER

Featured Posts

bpmMonkey

I hope not.
At least not for CDs, DVD and Blu-Ray. I‘m not strongly into the „the earth is dying“-vibe, but no one needs these products anymore and no one uses them. It was fun to get a DVD for Christmas in 2004, you watched your favorite movie a couple of times and then shelved it with the others but then they just sit there. 
Vinyl always had a collector quality to it, the larger format makes sense to use for artwork, you can easily put them on display since the cover is almost like a poster. CDs on the other hand are super small, in a trash plastic case, with a trash plastic inside. There is just no appeal to them other than consumerism. 
I also don’t really get the argument „CDs are smaller, so they are more easy to handle than Vinyls“… either of these products aren‘t used to play the music because you wanna listen to a song/an album. Nowadays it is so much easier to use streaming services, your cellphone in general or even to look the song up on youtube (or vevo.com … does anyone remember?). 
So the primary reason for CD and Vinyl is to collect them and enjoy their present… wouldn‘t I then like it to have some present and therefor go for the Vinyl and not the CD, which i easily can just trow in a draw and then be done with it? 

Anywayyy.. its 6:40am and I shouldn‘t go on GGD before coffee 😅:iamfair:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SpadesToStart

I still buy physical copies of all my video games and if I really like a tv show or movie, I get the blu ray/dvd. 
It’s paid off, two of my favorite shows that I rewatch every few years (the Office and Battlestar Galactica) have left the streaming services I subscribe to. Also I have the Always Sunny episodes that aren’t on Hulu :trollga: 

M i K E Y
39 minutes ago, The BPD Monster said:

I think Madonna has released every one her tours on it so yeah 

Except Madame X 🥲 and I still haven’t seen AHS 10 on DVD :crossed:

Retro Dance Freak

I personally will continue to buy CDs. I collect them sort of, but use them also. 
I always buy CDs, mostly second hand, and that’s how I found TFM, The Fame and Born This Way! 

I love looking at the booklets inside, and the other physical designs and features. Overall, CDs are a different listening experience than streaming for me. I cant wait to get a car and fill it with CDs and go on long drives :sis:

Don't be insecure if your heart is pure.

NATAH
3 hours ago, gypsy Hero said:

I hope not.
At least not for CDs, DVD and Blu-Ray. I‘m not strongly into the „the earth is dying“-vibe, but no one needs these products anymore and no one uses them. It was fun to get a DVD for Christmas in 2004, you watched your favorite movie a couple of times and then shelved it with the others but then they just sit there. 
Vinyl always had a collector quality to it, the larger format makes sense to use for artwork, you can easily put them on display since the cover is almost like a poster. CDs on the other hand are super small, in a trash plastic case, with a trash plastic inside. There is just no appeal to them other than consumerism. 
I also don’t really get the argument „CDs are smaller, so they are more easy to handle than Vinyls“… either of these products aren‘t used to play the music because you wanna listen to a song/an album. Nowadays it is so much easier to use streaming services, your cellphone in general or even to look the song up on youtube (or vevo.com … does anyone remember?). 
So the primary reason for CD and Vinyl is to collect them and enjoy their present… wouldn‘t I then like it to have some present and therefor go for the Vinyl and not the CD, which i easily can just trow in a draw and then be done with it? 

Anywayyy.. its 6:40am and I shouldn‘t go on GGD before coffee 😅:iamfair:

i use my CDs in my cd player :poot:

but with digital/streaming formats being unreliable, having my favourite movies and shows on blu ray means i can watch them whenever i want instead of waiting for netflix to bring it back

there are a need for these products because they are the highest quality and forever yours, something streaming can't do

mother, what must i do?

NATAH
5 hours ago, RAMROD said:

Audio media are usually romanticized as it gets more vintage. Just like our generation now to cassette and vinyls, I think CD can always make a return 20-30 years from now. 

Not so sure about the visual media though, never see instances such as VHS or Laser Discs making a return. And  AFAIK no new movies were sold in this format for even niche markets.  

wtf is a laser disc? :bradley:

mother, what must i do?

bpmMonkey
46 minutes ago, NATAH said:

i use my CDs in my cd player :poot:

but with digital/streaming formats being unreliable, having my favourite movies and shows on blu ray means i can watch them whenever i want instead of waiting for netflix to bring it back

there are a need for these products because they are the highest quality and forever yours, something streaming can't do

Interesting.. like truly. I personally haven’t had a TV (and therefor a dvd or blu ray player) in over 10 years, I watch on my movies and shows on my computer and all of it via streaming. I never miss not having the movie or show physically in my possession.

Music on the other hand I like to own, but thats why I buy vinyls. I love the idea of going through them in 20-30 years from now and remember when I used to listen to the songs. In my believe you dont trow away vinyls because they feel really substantial and have an aesthetic to them, where CDs, for me, have never been appealing. I don‘t like the plastic and the over all lack of presents they have so I got rid of all of them over the years.. you might store vinyls at one point in the basement or storage unit or what ever, but I wouldnt discard them in the trash. 

Defmix100

I still buy blu-rays but not dvd's. And I get Gaga's albums on CD but no other artists, I hope the'yre still around for quite a while

The BPD Monster
3 hours ago, M i K E Y said:

Except Madame X 🥲 and I still haven’t seen AHS 10 on DVD :crossed:

I download ahs illegally so :stalkga: also didn't she recently released madame x tour on some platform or sumn? I think i saw a trailer 

RAMROD
1 hour ago, NATAH said:

wtf is a laser disc? :bradley:

It's like vinyl for movies. It is in the same material as cd/bluray disc, just huge and double sided. 

november-2019-mecklenburgwestern-pomeran

laserdisc2.jpg

9373547904_13881d8859.jpg

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

gypsy101
8 hours ago, BARKDANGER said:

It might be because I’m an older millennial, but there is nothing like going to the store on home media release date, after waiting some time, and picking up a new DVD or CD, and still having that sense of excitement, like I hit the jackpot, and the joy it brings me of nostalgia. :enigma:

wow really i always found that waiting to be excruciating

tomsches

I never stopped buying CDs. I have a huge collection of hundreds of CDs. I haven't bought DVDs since 2010 or something.

Versace

As a physical media collector myself, unfortunately not. My fav childhood spots for dvds have all shut down and grocery stores that once carried them no longer do. I think also they’re still an expensive form of consuming media, many people would rather stream, digital rent or illegally download something. Many people see no use of owning something when they only want to watch it once, especially when its 25% the price of physical media. Then you have to consider the hardware you’d need, dvd quality and HD tvs don’t cut it anymore. You’d need a 4K HDR compatible TV and a 4K Blu-ray DVD player to enjoy the latest releases the way they were meant. Many households don’t upgrade their TVs/DVDs for 10 years or more. Whereas upgrading smart phones, tablets and laptops is a more frequent thing, so it allows people to enjoy latest releases without additional hardware upgrades. Also a big one is most releases hit digital media outlets before they’re available in physical, and as we all know people are impatient beings. 

If physical media wants to make a mainstream comeback it needs more competitive prices and manage a way to release before digital releases (sounds impossible but it is what it is). As of now, physical media is instead a niche market for collectors, they’ll come in expensive collector editions/steel books and that’s how they’re making profit. 

I'm an avid believer that if you enjoy media enough to never want another person to decide if you're allowed to have it ever again... buy the physical.

Imagine your favourite movie leaves streaming because its not popular... so you can never see it again like wtf

Archived