Sign in to follow this  
politics

$15 Minimum Wage Officially Dead

JRCF29

The Senate on Friday blocked an effort by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) to overrule the Senate parliamentarian and include a $15 minimum wage hike in the COVID-19 relief bill currently being considered. 

The amendment needed 3/5 support, or 60 votes, but only garnered 42, meaning 8 Democrats joined every Republican in voting to keep the wage increase out of the bill. 

While the writing was on the wall for some time, this marks the official end of the $15 minimum wage fight as it relates to its passage via reconciliation (a procedural tool being used by Democrats to bypass a filibuster), and key progressives are already responding to the development: 

The Senate is currently considering a series of amendments to the COVID-19 bill, a process expected to wrap up some time tomorrow. 

Don't Call Me Gaga
  • LMAO 5
  • Sad 9

JusKeepBreathin
Posted (edited)

It's not dead. It's not happening on this bill. This is exactly why Harris didn't vote, to not show party division. Nice showboating Bernie. I guess Bernie has a new book coming out soon. Make some more millions off people's  naivety.

Edited by JusKeepBreathin
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Like 5
  • LMAO 5
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 9
  • Thanks 4

Galactic Mess

I'm not american nor defending Biden, but isn't this a long-term goal of his administration? I mean, he just took office. If this fails now, they can still try to pass is in the following months or years... Or is there some legal impediment to presenting a bill within the same year or 4-year period ? I don't know anything about american legislative process.

• Like 2

gabeoz
2 minutes ago, Galactic Mess said:

I'm not american nor defending Biden, but isn't this a long-term goal of his administration? I mean, he just took office. If this fails now, they can still try to pass is in the following months or years... Or is there some legal impediment to presenting a bill within the same year or 4-year period ? I don't know anything about american legislative process.

Yes, it's still one of his and and other dem leader's top priorities. It's unfortunate that it wont pass in the COVID stimulus bill, but there will be more opportunities in the coming years. 

Unfortunately, there are people that think this is an end-all and are getting mad at Biden because  they think that he's going to just give up on the minimum wage even though him and congressional leaders have repeatedly expressed their commitment to it even if it fails in this package. 

• LMAO 1
  • Thanks 5

Galactic Mess
3 minutes ago, gabeoz said:

Yes, it's still one of his and and other dem leader's top priorities. It's unfortunate that it wont pass in the COVID stimulus bill, but there will be more opportunities in the coming years. 

Unfortunately, there are people that think this is an end-all and are getting mad at Biden because  they think that he's going to just give up on the minimum wage even though him and congressional leaders have repeatedly expressed their commitment to it even if it fails in this package. 

Got it! Thanks :)

Morphine Prince
Posted (edited)

8 Senators from a center right party voted against something related to increasing the minimum wage? I’m shocked. 

The Republicans will win the House and possibly Senate in 2022. Warnock could easily lose Georgia in 2022. Might as well throw Biden’s presidency in the trash. 

He must win a battle for an increase in minimum wage before next year. 

Edited by Morphine Prince
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5

PEZ

Worried that this will take so long to pass that by the time it does, inflation will make $15 look like peanuts and it won't be a livable wage either :saladga: Especially since so many Dems wanna dig their heels in about this, too.

Like, I get that it wasn't gonna happen right this second, but :saladga: Idk I'm all nerves and zero optimism, bleh

⚡ Gaga, Rammstein, Aphex Twin, Autechre, Kraftwerk, Machine Girl, & Death Grips 🐲

HuffsAhoy

A wage increase this high during a pandemic would annihilate so many small businesses. Raising the wage can wait until the virus is under control. 

Rain on Me

Morphine Prince
Just now, HuffsAhoy said:

A wage increase this high during a pandemic would annihilate so many small businesses. Raising the wage can wait until the virus is under control. 

The minimum wage wouldn’t magically increase tomorrow. There is a transition period up until 2025, I believe. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

StarstruckIllusion
24 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

It's not dead. It's not happening on this bill. This is exactly why Harris didn't vote, to not show party division. Nice showboating Bernie. I guess Bernie has a new book coming out soon. Make some more millions off people's  naivety.

Mmm yes denying campaign promises just for fake good reputation points. Good luck booking those 60 votes yall speak of :ladyhaha:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

MikelAS
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

The minimum wage wouldn’t magically increase tomorrow. There is a transition period up until 2025, I believe. 

This. It was a gradual increase over the next few years. The democrats are really getting themselves in trouble here. So far, they have not accomplished any of the major campaign promises that got them elected and it's looking less and less likely they will within the next two years. Good luck to them in 2022, because I have a feeling it's going to be a blood bath. 

No student loan relief.

No $2,000 checks ($1,400 to LESS people than the Trump administration gave money to. :fail:)

No $15 minimum wage (looking impossible now unless the filibuster is abolished, and it's highly unlikely it will be). 

No consequences for Trump & his allies.

This was literally their one chance to really accomplish many of their goals and they really screwed it up. 

Edited by MikelAS
  • Like 11

Morphine Prince

Republicans are going to try to obstruct every single thing Biden does. Despite the fact some of these things will help Americans. 

The sooner you realize the Republicans are against democracy and are hell bent on keeping people poor to benefit the wealthy, the better. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Mister G

Of course 2 of the Senators that voted against this were Coons and Carper from Delaware. They are such morons.

StarstruckIllusion

Imagine having an incoherent meltdown over centrist Dem’s reputation and not the fact workers won’t get a raise wage...

• Like 2
  • LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 3