🌎 𝔤𝔞𝔤𝔞 𝔡𝔞𝔦𝔩𝔶 𝔰𝔥𝔬𝔭 - 𝔫𝔬𝔴 𝔰𝔥𝔦𝔭𝔭𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔴𝔬𝔯𝔩𝔡𝔴𝔦𝔡𝔢 🌏

Sign in to follow this  
sports

Tokyo Olympics 'unlikely to go ahead' in 2021

PunkTheFunk

_116579736_sirkeith.jpg

The former chief executive of the London 2012 Olympics says it is "unlikely" that the Tokyo Games will take place this summer due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Entrepreneur Sir Keith Mills told the BBC that organisers should now be "making plans for a cancellation". Tokyo is currently in a state of emergency after a surge of coronavirus cases in the Japanese capital. It is due to host world sport's biggest event in just six months time.

The showpiece has already been subject to an unprecedented year-long postponement as a result of the crisis. The official cost has increased by 22% to £11.5bn, with the renegotiation of contracts and more security measures adding £2.1bn to the bill.

Speaking exclusively to Radio 5 Live's Wake Up To Money, Sir Keith said, "I think they'll leave it to absolutely the last minute in case the situation improves dramatically, in case the vaccinations roll out faster than we all hoped. It's a tough call.

"Personally, sitting here looking at the pandemic around the world, it looks unlikely I have to say.

"If I was sitting in the shoes of the organising committee in Tokyo, I would be making plans for a cancellation and I'm sure they have plans for a cancellation. They've got another month or so before they need to make a call."

The Olympics are scheduled to run from 23 July to 8 August, with the Paralympics due to follow from 24 August to 5 September, but ten months on from their postponement, there is growing concern over the viability of the rescheduled events.

Last week, Taro Kono became the first Japanese cabinet minister to admit a decision on hosting the Games was uncertain, admitting it "could go either way".

The Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga has vowed to forge ahead with plans despite mounting public opposition.

A recent Kyodo News survey found around 80% of Japanese people want a cancellation or postponement.

Sir Keith, who now chairs the Invictus Games for wounded military veterans, said: "It's not just the infections in Tokyo, it's the infections in all the competing nations.

"The challenge is whether enough competitors and enough countries can visit Japan and make it a really viable games.

"We shouldn't forget the Paralympics. Many of the competitors have underlying health conditions so flying around the world competing will be a challenge for them."

More than 11,000 athletes from around 200 countries were scheduled to take part in the 2020 Games.

It is not clear how travel restrictions might hit their participation as Japan's borders are currently largely closed to foreign visitors. Last year, International Olympics Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach told the BBC the Games would have to be cancelled if it cannot take place this summer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55722542

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

julz

Yup not yet this year. Everybody would understand. Safety first, period.

• Like 4

TimisaMonster

Uh...you think? :smh:

Stream my new single 🔥"Sapphire Phoenix"🔥 on Spotify!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Bonkers

If I can't get lap dances in strip clubs, why should talented athletes be allowed to win medals?

Right?

tumblr_nk7f2rqb0p1rijmvyo1_540.gif

Edited by Bonkers
Remember to like and subscribe, and click on the bell icon to get the latest updates
  • LMAO 3

Franch Toast

Poor Tokyo. I think it's hard to say how things will be this summer, but realistically, I don't think Covid will be under control worldwide by then, especially due to the unequal distribution of the vaccine.

I feel bad for everyone who's worked so hard to make this event happen. I wish Tokyo could host the 2024 Summer Olympics instead and just bump everything back by a cycle. 

(And if y'all are still expecting a Chromatica Ball this year, well...) 

She/Her/Hers
  • Like 8

Serial Chiller

Chromatical ball hopefuls aren't ready :bradley:

• Like 3

Chromatican

Having an Olympics anytime soon is a disastrous idea. Hopefully this might make people rethink the Olympics and their model entirely. It’s always relocating every four years, as opposed to staying in one country and retaining the structures and not building anew in another country and causing an economic boom or bust. The Olympics is also a massive distraction from real issues in the world. 

gabeoz
9 minutes ago, Chromatican said:

Having an Olympics anytime soon is a disastrous idea. Hopefully this might make people rethink the Olympics and their model entirely. It’s always relocating every four years, as opposed to staying in one country and retaining the structures and not building anew in another country and causing an economic boom or bust. The Olympics is also a massive distraction from real issues in the world. 

*Every 2 years actually. The Olympics is fun but the cost of relocating the games for every other year is just too much. Look at places like Athens, Brazil and Sochi where the massive venues built for the events are now completely abandoned and costed the host country billions for little return when that money is vital for other areas. It has costed hundreds of thousands of peoples their homes because they were forcefully demolished for the Olympic parks and the surrounding areas.

Even if it means only using a few host cities, the country/city in question needs to be able to prove the viability of the venues for public use in the years after the games instead of just knowingly let them sit as ghosttowns when they're over

• Like 1

weed

I just feel bad for how much Tokyo/Japan invested in the games, stadiums, etc.

• Like 1

Kadikaado

One of my best friends live in Japan near Tokyo, she spent the last year telling us how the government is ignoring covid, pretending everything is ok so the Olympics happen. It would be better to postpone it for another year.

I am authistic, so don't be offended if I make a mess sometimes.

CreamyBagel
1 hour ago, julz said:

Yup not yet this year. Everybody would understand. Safety first, period.

And yet some delulus here think Gaga will pull through with her delayed tour :billie:

StarstruckIllusion

2022 I hope. Japan has built literal servant robots for this. They’re such a serve. They cant go to waste. 

bionic
2 hours ago, weed said:

I just feel bad for how much Tokyo/Japan invested in the games, stadiums, etc.

I'm sure they had insurance

buy bionic

Chromatican
2 hours ago, StarstruckIllusion said:

2022 I hope. Japan has built literal servant robots for this. They’re such a serve. They cant go to waste. 

2 hours ago, Kadikaado said:

One of my best friends live in Japan near Tokyo, she spent the last year telling us how the government is ignoring covid, pretending everything is ok so the Olympics happen. It would be better to postpone it for another year.

Postponing 2020 Olympics to 2022? Why not just give Tokyo 2024 at that point. 

• Thanks 2

Kitana

people need to stop postponing and just cancel at this point. no one will die with one less time of the olympics. that goes for everything else aswell.

You will learn respect!
  • Like 1