⛈ RAIN ON ME OUT NOW ⛈

Sign in to follow this  
politics

India Bans TikTok And Dozens Other Of Chinese Apps

RAMROD
Posted (edited)

The Indian government on Monday evening said it was banning 59 apps developed by Chinese firms over concerns that these apps were engaging in activities that threatened “national security and defence of India, which ultimately impinges upon the sovereignty and integrity of India” in what is the latest standoff between the world’s two most populated nations.

Among the apps that India’s Ministry of Electronics and IT has ordered to ban include ByteDance’s TikTok, which counts India as its biggest overseas market; Community and Video Call apps from Xiaomi, which is the top smartphone vendor in India; two of Alibaba Group’s apps (UC Browser and UC News); Shareit; CM Browser, Club Factory, which claims to be India’s third-largest e-commerce firm; and ES File Explorer.

This is the first time that India, the world’s second largest internet market with nearly half of its 1.3 billion population online, has ordered to ban so many foreign apps. New Delhi said nation’s Computer Emergency Response Team had received many “representations from citizens regarding security of data and breach of privacy impacting upon public order issues.”

Tarun Pathak, an analyst at research firm Counterpoint, said the order would impact roughly one in three smartphone users in India. TikTok, Club Factory and UC Browser and other apps put together had more than 500 million monthly active users in May, according to one of the top mobile insight firms.

And, 27 of these 59 apps were among the top 1,000 Android apps in India last month, according to the mobile insights firm — data of which an industry executive shared with TechCrunch.

It’s unclear what exactly the “ban” means and how mobile operating system makers and internet service providers are expected to comply. At the time of writing, all of the aforementioned apps were available to download from Google  Play Store and Apple’s App Store in India.

Google said it had yet to receive the order from New Delhi. Apple  said it was reviewing the order. The companies have traditionally complied with such app removal requests.

Anti-China sentiment has been gaining mindshare in India in recent weeks, since more than 20 Indian soldiers were killed in a military clash in the Himalayas earlier this month. “Boycott China” — and variations of it — has been trending on Twitter in India ever since as a growing number of people posted videos demonstrating destruction of Chinese-made smartphones, TVs and other products.

india-ban-apps-china.jpg?resize=768,923

Source:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/06/29/india-bans-tiktok-dozens-of-other-chinese-apps/

Edited by RAMROD
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥ visual ♥ rock ♥ and ♥ metal ♥ kind ♥ of ♥ guy ♥
  • YAAAS 6
  • Shook 2

TSUNAMI

Indians did it :air:

Cancel culture is strong with them.

Poltergeist

Banning TikTok should've already been a worldwide procedure

Yaaas India, so innovative :vegas:

I've been getting messages from my deep waters
  • Like 2
  • YAAAS 3

Dramatica

So basically all countries surrounding India are now enemies :messga:

China, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Myanmar, Nepal.

Miss India should listen to My Biggest Enemy Is Me :ally:

I didn't ask for a free ride, I only asked you to show me a real good time.

coolninjaguy
6 minutes ago, Poltergeist said:

Banning TikTok should've already been a worldwide procedure

Yaaas India, so innovative :vegas:

why should it be banned tho? have y'all even been on tiktok ...

• LMAO 1

Poltergeist
1 minute ago, coolninjaguy said:

why should it be banned tho? have y'all even been on tiktok ...

I'm joking, some videos are really funny and have the Vine spirit, but there's also a shitton of cringefest I can't stand

I've been getting messages from my deep waters
  • Like 1

coolninjaguy
Just now, Poltergeist said:

I'm joking, some videos are really funny and have the Vine spirit, but there's also a shitton of cringefest I can't stand

haha true true 

Daylight Jokers
Posted (edited)

I had no idea Tiktok was a Chinese app. It's so huge in Western countries.

Edited by Daylight Jokers
  • Like 1

Randomaccessmemory

Proud of my country:poot:

Rain on me

Randomaccessmemory
18 minutes ago, TSUNAMI said:

Indians did it :air:

Cancel culture is strong with them.

It is extreme, you know people were throwing their Chinese LEDs and LCDs from their balconies, burning their Chinese phones! :air:

Rain on me
  • YAAAS 1

TSUNAMI
1 minute ago, Randomaccessmemory said:

It is extreme, you know people were throwing their Chinese LEDs and LCDs from their balconies, burning their Chinese phones! :air:

Are we surprised? 2020 is a Pandora Box

thet1234

I think its good they banned TikTok. Its so addictive and time consuming

RAMROD

Surprised they didn't ban grindr tho :billie:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥ visual ♥ rock ♥ and ♥ metal ♥ kind ♥ of ♥ guy ♥

Eido
15 minutes ago, Daylight Jokers said:

I had no idea Tiktok was a Chinese app. It's so huge in Western countries.

I mean... There is a reason for that :huntyga: it was surely created on that purpose since it is gathering a lot of date in China 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1