brownie 5 Posted March 29, 2020 Share Posted March 29, 2020 6 minutes ago, Economy said: That's why I made it a seperate post and said "I heard" and I didn't put it in OP. I know it isn't a fact. Pplake side points all the time. My mom is the one that heard it so I just said "I heard". I never stated it as a fact And I did not agree with Trump's talk I said "I wonder" which is very different do not appreciate my words being twisted around Not really twisting your words when you say “I'm seriously starting to wonder if it will get to a point where for once in his life he said something with some degree of point.” Yeah you said wonder but you also said seriously which implies you are seriously leaning towards agreeing with him. Lol you cant use semantics to get out of everything and constantly get so offended so easily man Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,173 Posted March 29, 2020 Author Share Posted March 29, 2020 2 minutes ago, brownie said: Not really twisting your words when you say “I'm seriously starting to wonder if it will get to a point where for once in his life he said something with some degree of point.” Yeah you said wonder but you also said seriously which implies you are seriously leaning towards agreeing with him. Lol you cant use semantics to get out of everything. “Twisting my words” lol. It is twisting Being unsure about where I stand is not agreeing Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
brownie 5 Posted March 29, 2020 Share Posted March 29, 2020 Just now, Economy said: It is twisting Being unsure about where I stand is not agreeing “I’m seriously starting to wonder” does not equal “unsure” to most people. A lot of this thread is fear-mongering, man. We should we working together to provide trusted news sources, not just repeating things we heard and posting it online! Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
ode 1,534 Posted March 29, 2020 Share Posted March 29, 2020 Not sure about suicides, but the pandemic is definitely making things worse for those with existing mental health disorders: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/coronavirus-personal-nightmare-people-ocd-anxiety-disorders-n1164066 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Francesca Cipriani 1,668 Posted March 29, 2020 Share Posted March 29, 2020 12 minutes ago, Economy said: I don't know how accurate the part about the suicides is given it was second hand info Googling to see if I can find anything from a reliable source I'm Italian, I found this article. It speaks about 3 people who commited suicide, all of them being tested positive to the virus. Honestly the media isn't really talking about suicides, which is a shame. All the spotlight are on the virus. https://www.periodicodaily.com/covid19-i-primi-suicidi-in-italia-legati-al-nuovo-virus/ Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Franz Ferdinand 2,359 Posted March 29, 2020 Share Posted March 29, 2020 6 minutes ago, Economy said: I want to believe that... But the vast vast majority of people end up being worse off Not to mention deaths that poverty causes too directly and indirectly On an overall basis harm vs good I seriously question if the degree of lockdowns are really worth it For me, im gonna have to manage with 0 income starting next month and good luck to me finding a job right now I'm not trying to downplay the economic impact of a lockdown, it's really terrifying. But without it, we're looking at a solid 60-70% of the population becoming infected in a matter of two or three months. With a 1% mortality rate, that's around 70 million people around the world, and a 1% mortality rate is being very optimistic, because such high rate of infection would induce a complete breakdown of healthcare systems everywhere, as it is happening in Italy now, where the mortality rate is closer to 5%. Even with a softer lockdown, we'd be looking at millions of infections and deaths happening too quickly. The stricter the lockdown, the more controlled the infections will be and the better in the long run. These are really scary times, though. I do hope you can find something soon, or that your government can provide assistance, or both. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,173 Posted March 29, 2020 Author Share Posted March 29, 2020 Just now, brownie said: “I’m seriously starting to wonder” does not equal “unsure” to most people. A lot of this thread is fear-mongering, man. We should we working together to provide trusted news sources, not just repeating things we heard and posting it online! The OP is not fear mongering it's literally news. The post I made that u don't like I made seperately as a comment Anyway I'm a little too pissed right now to argue cuz my life is falling apart and just as I thought I was gonna get a chance to start rebuilding now I can't even get a job I'm starting to think why be on this dam earth? Hard work and effort never pay off and as soon as u start to get up something else has to come to crush u down and it's not like the Government is gonna help I don't wanna argue about this anymore. If ur not someone being very affected by the shutdown maybe u don't understand the frustration Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,173 Posted March 29, 2020 Author Share Posted March 29, 2020 Just now, Melissa Vandella said: I'm Italian, I found this article. It speaks about 3 people who commited suicide, all of them being tested positive to the virus. Honestly the media isn't really talking about suicides, which is a shame. All the spotlight is on the virus. https://www.periodicodaily.com/covid19-i-primi-suicidi-in-italia-legati-al-nuovo-virus/ Yeah me included. After 2 hospitlizations and a toxic relationship and a layoff I was finally making plans to try to rebuild my life Not so thanks to this virus Now I have to be kicked down yet again. I'm beyond annoyed at this point it's like a higher being is just looking for opportunities to see when I'm making progress somewhere to make sure it tears me right back down I know the virus isn't about me it's about everyone. I'm just saying it's like a last straw. Just had to get this cherry on top Seriously thinking I should give up. Almost a decade of trying to make something of my life never goes anywhere so who cares in even trying Should just become one of those useless 30 year olds in their parents basement doing nothing but play video games all day Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,173 Posted March 29, 2020 Author Share Posted March 29, 2020 5 minutes ago, Franz Ferdinand said: I'm not trying to downplay the economic impact of a lockdown, it's really terrifying. But without it, we're looking at a solid 60-70% of the population becoming infected in a matter of two or three months. With a 1% mortality rate, that's around 70 million people around the world, and a 1% mortality rate is being very optimistic, because such high rate of infection would induce a complete breakdown of healthcare systems everywhere, as it is happening in Italy now, where the mortality rate is closer to 5%. Even with a softer lockdown, we'd be looking at millions of infections and deaths happening too quickly. The stricter the lockdown, the more controlled the infections will be and the better in the long run. These are really scary times, though. I do hope you can find something soon, or that your government can provide assistance, or both. I doubt it. The problem is I got laid off right before this shenanigans began. The amount of time your entitled to Unemployment benefits in Canada is determined during the time of application based on hours work and unemployment rate in your area Unemployment was at a 40 year low in my area when I applied which means I get only 3 months The fact that unemployment spikes right after you apply (and the fact that u can't really find almost any hiring right now) doesn't make u untitled to more weeks So I'm only gonna get 3 months total (so I have a month and a half) and then it expires unless the government chooses to extend those already on EI (which they have not mentioned anything about) My parents may wave my rent and Grocery contributions once my EI ends but my car and medical expenses will probably have to go on credit Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
brownie 5 Posted March 29, 2020 Share Posted March 29, 2020 10 minutes ago, Economy said: The OP is not fear mongering it's literally news. The post I made that u don't like I made seperately as a comment Anyway I'm a little too pissed right now to argue cuz my life is falling apart and just as I thought I was gonna get a chance to start rebuilding now I can't even get a job I'm starting to think why be on this dam earth? Hard work and effort never pay off and as soon as u start to get up something else has to come to crush u down and it's not like the Government is gonna help I don't wanna argue about this anymore. If ur not someone being very affected by the shutdown maybe u don't understand the frustration Dude you’re missing my point — yes everyone’s anxiety is going up and yes I’m VERY affected by this lockdown. But I’m not gonna go on a major online forum and start saying things like “youth suicides in countries are going up!!” with zero proof at a time like this. Tons of impressionable people or kids read this site and you’re a trusted source for many readers here, so instead of getting so triggered you should instead just be watching what you post and only post verified facts. Too many people are on edge right now and believing everything they read. And you think I don’t have it bad? I’ve been climbing my way through the film industry for 6 years now, finally had moved to LA and just gotten the biggest contract of my life when this all started. You thought you were affected by all this? Try watching the job you worked years for suddenly go away overnight as all of LA and Hollywood film production froze production. Now is not the time for people like you to be spreading unsubstantiated rumors and negativity though. We need to be posting only facts, or ways we can help each other! Like, if you hear there may be a rise in the suicide rate for your country, maybe let’s start a GGD therapy group of something? One main thread where users can talk to each other about mental health? All I was trying to say was that if something can’t be sourced at the moment, this is not the time to post it!! You’re like the CNN of this site so just wanna keep you credible Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,173 Posted March 29, 2020 Author Share Posted March 29, 2020 8 minutes ago, brownie said: Dude you’re missing my point — yes everyone’s anxiety is going up and yes I’m VERY affected by this lockdown. But I’m not gonna go on a major online forum and start saying things like “youth suicides in countries are going up!!” with zero proof at a time like this. Tons of impressionable people or kids read this site and you’re a trusted source for many readers here, so instead of getting so triggered you should instead just be watching what you post and only post verified facts. Too many people are on edge right now and believing everything they read. And you think I don’t have it bad? I’ve been climbing my way through the film industry for 6 years now, finally had moved to LA and just gotten the biggest contract of my life when this all started. You thought you were affected by all this? Try watching the job you worked years for suddenly go away overnight all of LA and Hollywood film production froze production. Now is not the time for people like you to be spreading unsubstantiated rumors and negativity though. We need to be posting only facts, or ways we can help each other! Like, if you hear there may be a rise in the suicide rate for your country, maybe let’s start a GGD therapy group of something? One main thread where users can talk to each other about mental health? Well I apologize for the suicide comment without being sure. I didn't try to pass it off as a fact tho that's why I made it a seperate comment and said I heard. Ppl here literally do it all the time Also that contract do u at least get it back after lockdown ends? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mister G 10,533 Posted March 29, 2020 Share Posted March 29, 2020 Now is also not the time for you both to be clawing at each other’s throats either. @brownie @Economy you both are going to be okay. Just try to remain positive no matter how grim things look. The minute you cower to fear and hysteria, you lose. Both of you are stronger than you think. You got this. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
blankpaper 21 Posted March 29, 2020 Share Posted March 29, 2020 @Economy I feel you on the wanting to give up part. I’m super lucky I still have my job and it’s not an industry that’s very sensitive to economic issues, but god I hate it so bad and finally had plans to change it next year, and that’s gone. Plus I’ve had severe mental health issues for as long as I can remember, and have been varying degrees of suicidal since I was probably 6 or 7. The only things keeping me from that edge are gone indefinitely, so it’s just like what’s the point now? Be really extremely miserable for awhile just to go back to my baseline of still pretty fcking miserable? Suicides among young people will go up if they haven’t yet. There’s going to be a lot of people just ending it because there’s really no point in fighting it anymore im going to get so dragged for being selfish or making this about me, but where there’s one there’s more reality’s tight if the music is right Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,173 Posted March 29, 2020 Author Share Posted March 29, 2020 22 minutes ago, blankpaper said: @Economy I feel you on the wanting to give up part. I’m super lucky I still have my job and it’s not an industry that’s very sensitive to economic issues, but god I hate it so bad and finally had plans to change it next year, and that’s gone. Plus I’ve had severe mental health issues for as long as I can remember, and have been varying degrees of suicidal since I was probably 6 or 7. The only things keeping me from that edge are gone indefinitely, so it’s just like what’s the point now? Be really extremely miserable for awhile just to go back to my baseline of still pretty fcking miserable? Suicides among young people will go up if they haven’t yet. There’s going to be a lot of people just ending it because there’s really no point in fighting it anymore im going to get so dragged for being selfish or making this about me, but where there’s one there’s more I agree I don't think this is rare at all The timing couldn't possibly be worse for me either. Laid off and off a marriage and no finally focus on just rebuilding And bam this happens And my EI won't last long because when I got laid off in February unemployment was low and that's what they use in Canada to determine how long u get But once it expires if lockdowns are still going on or the economy tanks and there's no jobs... I'll have no income im really stressed and worried. I'm still paying off debt that came from my relationship Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
brownie 5 Posted March 30, 2020 Share Posted March 30, 2020 1 hour ago, Economy said: Well I apologize for the suicide comment without being sure. I didn't try to pass it off as a fact tho that's why I made it a seperate comment and said I heard. Ppl here literally do it all the time Also that contract do u at least get it back after lockdown ends? And I apologize for coming across so harshly — you’re just a trusted source here and there’s so much fake news and maybes going around with this virus that I just want everyone to be safe and knowledgeable and not let our anxieties get the best of us! A lot of my family is believing in weird coronavirus conspiracies or quoting exaggerated numbers and stats so lately I’ve just kinda been harsh towards anything without a source. Main problem with the contract: who knows if the company survives this virus? Hollywood / film industry could be a very different landscape when it all returns... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Featured Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.