Featured Posts

OG Gaga Stan
1 minute ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

This is the last few weeks in a nutshell:

White mainstream democrats and centrists: "Everyone LOVES Pete Buttigieg"

Black people, latinos, and progressives: "We don't love Pete Buttigieg"

White mainstream democrats and centrists: "Yes, you do"

:deadbanana: 

Progressives: “Here are specific reasons why we object to Buttigieg rooted in the deficiencies in his record and his policy proposals.”

White mainstream democrats on GGD: “Pointing out his record is an unfair attack and I’m going to pretend that all of that doesn’t exist! Any ignorant comment he’s made in the past has been taken out of context, and no, I won’t listen to you when you explain how it wasn’t!”

:rip:

• Like 6

PunkTheFunk
5 hours ago, OG Gaga Stan said:

The root of the inequities in the American education system isn't that black Americans and other communities of color don't have role models to look up to. 

You are missing my point. It is the systemic barriers that are the problem, not the absence of role models. 

Pete's words: "There isn’t someone who they know personally who testifies to the value of education.” == No one in their community has been able to reap the benefits of a good education, i.e. they don't know anyone who has benefited from the system because the system has failed them. If they don't know anyone who has benefited from the system, what motivation does that give them to participate in said system? Is that not a valid point, or will your fervent hate for Pete prevent you from accepting that?

#Marianne2020
  • Like 2

ltlmnstr
24 minutes ago, OG Gaga Stan said:

No one is twisting his words. The article is objecting to exactly what he said. Read the article.

All these Pete stans were nowhere to be found in the climate change denial staff member thread lmao

• LMAO 5

OG Gaga Stan
19 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

You are missing my point. It is the systemic barriers that are the problem, not the absence of role models. 

Pete's words: "There isn’t someone who they know personally who testifies to the value of education.” == No one in their community has been able to reap the benefits of a good education, i.e. they don't know anyone who has benefited from the system because the system has failed them. If they don't know anyone who has benefited from the system, what motivation does that give them to participate in said system? Is that not a valid point, or will your fervent hate for Pete prevent you from accepting that?

I didn’t miss your point. You just repeated, nearly verbatim, what I’ve addressed four or five different times.

No, it is not valid to blame a “lack of role models” for systemic underperformance in the US education system. That is obviously what he’s saying. They don’t know someone who can testify to the value of education? Literally what else could that mean? Again, as I’ve said multiple times, that places the burden onto these communities themselves, making the case that if only they had more role models to look up to, more people from those communities would be successful.

Black women are the most educated demographic in the US. There are PLENTY of success stories, plenty of role models for people from marginalized communities to look up to, plenty of people that attest to the value of education. That isn’t the problem. The problem is systemic underfunding of majority black schools, institutional racism that prevents black students from succeeding.

Do you not understand why someone who is black (like the author in the piece cited and the multiple black writers that have criticized Buttigieg over the course of the day) would object to rhetoric that puts the onus of inequality in education on those communities and their inability to produce role models for younger students? Or is your love for this mayor with an atrocious record on issues that affect the most marginalized people in the US, my country, preventing you from acknowledging that?

Edited by OG Gaga Stan
  • Like 3

SKANK

Examples of Kamala Harris implying it is a lack of role models which holds minorities back from sucess, and not just larger systemic issues - one of those examples being virtually identical to the argument Pete was making. Perhaps The Root can do an on going series, about how all the candidates in 2020 are "lying mother ****ers."

Edited by SKANK
  • Like 1

Florin
54 minutes ago, OG Gaga Stan said:

No one is twisting his words. The article is objecting to exactly what he said. Read the article.

I've read this topic and all I see is people who scream their agenda. It reminds me a lot of Bernie supporters from 3 years ago. The Republicans didnt need to  demonize Hillary. Democrats did it better.

I see it the same way here. One issue can have a lot of causes. He presented one. Maybe there are more important factors than the one he presented, but trying to put such a negative spin on his opinion screams Fox News. 

Be angry. Scream louder. Accuse him first. You won? Well, let's hope that Trump won't win again just because some democrats want Jesus himself or no one. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Gov Hooka
6 hours ago, PoshLife said:

I think by now it's becoming clear to everyone reading this thread that, much like the author of the original screed, OG Gaga Stan is oversimplifying Mayor Pete's words so as to distort their meaning, in order to get you to think Mayor Pete said something racist. They're begging their own claim: "Don't you agree that this worse version of what Pete said is bad?"

Or maybe Mayor Pete is not well versed in racial politics and doesn't fully understand such issues... As a result, he ends up saying the wrong things... :ohwell:

• Like 2

SKANK
17 minutes ago, Gov Hooka said:

Or maybe Mayor Pete is not well versed in racial politics and doesn't fully understand such issues... As a result, he ends up saying the wrong things... :ohwell:

Which of course would be an example of ignorance rather than "mother ****ing lying."

PoshLife
6 hours ago, Bae said:

Washington loves him because he supports business as usual. That's why the last debate he had so much time to talk. No political institution is holding him back. The only thing holding him back is his horrible record with black people. 

There's... a lot wrong with this tiny paragraph.

To start, there's no single, unified "Washington" conglomerate. Keep in mind half of Washington is Republican and most of them hate gay people. You think they're propping up a gay dude they've never heard of before? I could see arguing that Washington likes Biden (even far-right Republicans like Lindsey Graham have praised him), but Buttigieg? No.

Second, Buttigieg had the third-highest amount of speaking time at the debate, which is pretty reasonable for someone who's polling fourth place in the polls. Booker had a WAY outsized role in the debate, and Sanders wasn't given enough time vis-a-vis his polling. Source: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-fifth-democratic-debate-in-6-charts/

Third, it's not accurate to say "no political institution" is holding him back - as we know, the well-funded Justice Democrats are activated against him, and while they aren't an insider group they are definitely a thought leader for a large part of the Dem electorate. Like I said before, there is certainly a well-coordinated effort to kill Buttigieg's momentum; just because you LIKE that group doesn't mean that's not what they're doing.

creek creek butter cartman yaoi kyle creek creek
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

PoshLife
1 hour ago, SKANK said:

Examples of Kamala Harris implying it is a lack of role models which holds minorities back from sucess, and not just larger systemic issues - one of those examples being virtually identical to the argument Pete was making. Perhaps The Root can do an on going series, about how all the candidates in 2020 are "lying mother ****ers."

This is great oppo research, good work.

PoshLife
2 hours ago, ltlmnstr said:

All these Pete stans were nowhere to be found in the climate change denial staff member thread lmao

This is deflection on your part, but even so I just scrolled down the entire first page of the World News forum which goes back four days and didn't see anything about this. 

Like I said before, I'm not a Pete stan. He's, like, my eighth choice in this primary. But the far-left has a habit of cutting off their nose to spite their face and when they're gonna get PARTICULARLY petty about it (see: OG Stan Gaga's refusal to acknowledge that they are inaccurately portraying what Pete said), then I see it as my duty to point that out.

• Like 1
  • LMAO 3
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1