Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
politics

Warren says she will soon release plan to fund 'Medicare for All'

Featured Posts

Born To Slay

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/warren-says-she-will-soon-release-plan-fund-medicare-all-n1069251

Democratic presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren said Sunday that she will soon release a plan detailing how to pay for "Medicare for All" after facing criticism from some of her 2020 rivals for declining to get into specifics about how her health care plan would be funded.

"What I see though is that we need to talk about the cost and I plan over the next few weeks to put out a plan that talks about, specifically, the cost of Medicare for All and specifically how we pay for it," the Massachusetts senator said during a campaign stop in Indianola, Iowa.

"What I see though is that we need to talk about the cost and I plan over the next few weeks to put out a plan that talks about, specifically, the cost of Medicare for All and specifically how we pay for it," the Massachusetts senator said during a campaign stop in Indianola, Iowa.

• Like 3
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1

Matangi

I mean she started her campaign by saying she co-sponsored an already very detailed single-payer bill, actually called Medicare for All. Then she called M4A a "framework." Now she is releasing a plan months after every other candidate.

Honestly it's pretty strange for a candidate who has been so policy heavy on most other issues to remain vague on one of the most important ones. Like saying, "I'm with Bernie on that," isn't going to carry you to the White House... clearly.

• Like 9
  • LMAO 1
  • Thanks 2

MJHolland

I mean... yeah, about time.

This is probably the biggest issue voters care about and it's rather strange that the frontrunner — who prides herself on being policy-specific — won't go into detail about how she plans to pay for it to the magnitude of trillions of dollars. 

27 minutes ago, Arturo said:

I'm perched :heart: Now Buttigieg's egg head ass can shut the **** up.

No matter what you think of the other candidates, we owe it to them for pressuring her to release her plan on how to pay for the trillions of dollars it would cost.

Like, if they didn't really pressure her during this last debate on Tuesday, who know how long she would have been dodging this question. 

I just find it strange that we're weeks away from when she is going to tell us who is going to pay for it. I understand the whole "well, you'll pay more in taxes but less in premiums/deductibles," but Warren even has a calculator on her website for how much her college tuition plan will save me. I want to know exactly what I'll be paying under this plan.   

• Like 5

M Monstre

I'm glad. I love Liz to death, but her answer in the last debate was very dodgy. 

• Like 1

Morphine Prince

Bernie has been clear on taxes going up but premiums/deductibles being eliminated. 

I’ll be interested to see what she comes up with considering this is the biggest domestic policy issue people care about. 

We cannot continue with this current insane healthcare system. 

The friends I've had to bury, they keep me up at night
  • Like 3

FATCAT
3 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

Bernie has been clear on taxes going up but premiums/deductibles being eliminated. 

I’ll be interested to see what she comes up with considering this is the biggest domestic policy issue people care about. 

We cannot continue with this current insane healthcare system. 

I almost wonder if the reason she was vague on that answer is because she has something else in the works? Maybe something that coincides with paying the IRS instead of your insurance provider?

█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓ This püssy grabs back. █▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓
  • Like 1

Born To Slay
43 minutes ago, Matangi said:

I mean she started her campaign by saying she co-sponsored an already very detailed single-payer bill, actually called Medicare for All. Then she called M4A a "framework." Now she is releasing a plan months after every other candidate.

Honestly it's pretty strange for a candidate who has been so policy heavy on most other issues to remain vague on one of the most important ones. Like saying, "I'm with Bernie on that," isn't going to carry you to the White House... clearly.

Here’s the thing tho, the Medicare For All itself doesn’t have a pay for in it. So Warren can still support that bill while also saying how she’d pay for it. 

Morphine Prince
14 minutes ago, FATCAT said:

I almost wonder if the reason she was vague on that answer is because she has something else in the works? Maybe something that coincides with paying the IRS instead of your insurance provider?

Whatever it is, she should’ve had at least the basics down. It’s not a good look and makes you a target when you can’t explain how you’re going to pay for something. 

Biden and all the centrists went after her like vultures at the debate. 

The friends I've had to bury, they keep me up at night
  • Like 1

FATCAT
6 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

Whatever it is, she should’ve had at least the basics down. It’s not a good look and makes you a target when you can’t explain how you’re going to pay for something. 

Yea, it was definitely not the best look, but maybe they think the soundbite is worse? hmmm guess we'll find out at some point

█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓ This püssy grabs back. █▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓

mauvais

I don't blame her for refusing to utter 'your taxes will go up but-' (I know it, you know it, whatever) but I wonder how this will alleviate that particular problem for her. Like, just say it Liz! 

MJHolland
2 hours ago, Morphine Prince said:

Ok, but "vultures" makes it sounds like an unfair criticism. It is a 1000% valid question to ask Warren and Bernie how much my taxes will go up. 

I get it, a single-payer system may be more efficient, but voters deserve a straight answer on which of us will be paying more than we are right now in terms of overall dollars out. 

Whispering

The question is who experiences the cost. Union members and people in group policies on average have their company shoulder over 70% of the premium's burden.

That means if you make middle class people's taxes go up by half of the average premium, they lose...they pay more for their insurance.

Bernie plows over these issues and says costs will go down. They won’t for many middle class people. Warren is trying to figure out how to make up for that 70% that companies are pouring into premiums, without rising taxes on the middle class. 

Nobody is getting elected if they campaign on “a modest tax increase”.

ItsTommyBitch
5 hours ago, Whispering said:

The question is who experiences the cost. Union members and people in group policies on average have their company shoulder over 70% of the premium's burden.

That means if you make middle class people's taxes go up by half of the average premium, they lose...they pay more for their insurance.

Bernie plows over these issues and says costs will go down. They won’t for many middle class people. Warren is trying to figure out how to make up for that 70% that companies are pouring into premiums, without rising taxes on the middle class. 

6 hours ago, MJHolland said:

Ok, but "vultures" makes it sounds like an unfair criticism. It is a 1000% valid question to ask Warren and Bernie how much my taxes will go up. 

I get it, a single-payer system may be more efficient, but voters deserve a straight answer on which of us will be paying more than we are right now in terms of overall dollars out. 

9 hours ago, Morphine Prince said:

@Matangi is correct. Bernie's Medicare 4 all bill is QUITE expansive and detailed and it lists a wide variety of possible ways to finance it that are somewhat fungible and up for debate when it comes down to implementation. Some of these ideas are more politically expedient than others, but multiple are required and some are more popular than others.

I seriously suggest you read or skim the actual bill he wrote with Pramila Jayapal's parallel in the House.

That being said, this move made me question if she's actually read it because its not vague on how it will be paid for.

Here's literally some of the options to pay for this from the bill out of context and put on a document released by Bernie Sanders and co. in the Senate, It has been up for MONTHS: (that ire is directed at Warren's camp, not you all lol) Please read it its like 6 pages

https://www.sanders.senate.gov/download/options-to-finance-medicare-for-all?inline=file

The support for the bill over in the House ALSO has been looking into other methods to finance it, so by the time he were to actually be elected, there would be even more options. That being said, nothing Bernie has said about the bill has been a lie - it is certainly possible to finance and our current system WILL cost more in 10 years. This WILL save some hundred billion dollars in the long run. There are about 3 studies that analyze the gross costs of enacting this plan, and 2 of them agree that it will be less expensive than our current system. The one that doesn't that has been cited indirectly by Biden and Buttigieg in debates and questions should be noted as its research was spearheaded by a propaganda organization funded by the Kochs and big corporations (or Koch, singular). So it is quite literally a Republican talking point.

~~~

To that matter, it could be that Warren doesn't like some of these options entirely and that's why she's been wishy-washy, or it could be that she doesn't support getting rid of private insurers but wanted the progressive "Medicare 4 all" cred that comes with supporting a policy that is populist and highly popular with voters across the political spectrum. We don't know, but if its the former and she just didn't want to campaign on "modest tax increases" then hopefully her plan takes some of these options and either fleshes them out (perhaps looking for a way to not tax people, though its not like Bernie + the writers of the bill didn't look for that :rip: ) or she comes up with new ideas.

Furthermore, the point of not getting hung up on a "modest tax increase" is because the majority of the taxation WILL be affecting the wealthy, as u can see under that part of the proposal in this word document. However, individuals who make above a certain threshold (that threshold is well above the poverty line of course) will pay more in taxes. That being said, the average amount of money someone spends on premiums, co-payments, deductibles, and hospital visits in a year COULD cancel this out and allow that person to ultimately be paying less. This isn't a controllable factor. You could make $50,000 a year and end up paying $2000 more in taxes but never get sick, have no family, never go to the doctor, etc. and you might just be minus $2000 that year. Another year, you might break your leg or get into a car accident, etc and be up $3000 from a $5000 you would have spent on premiums, deductibles, co-payments, etc. for the treatment of this.

This makes who *exactly* will save money and who will pay marginally more money amongst the middle working class hard to exactly pinpoint. That being said, this framework would most likely if not certainly benefit working class families, as insurance for children, relatives, etc. is much more likely to come into play there. In fact, the document above says they would save $4,400 on average

Bachelors making $60,000 a year however, MIGHT pay more. People making $250,000, $500,000, $1 million and so on will be paying the BULK of this.

I feel pretty confident in saying that its a net gain for the majority of people when u consider the income and types of jobs "most" people in America work, the amount of working class families, demographics of income,  and the amount of people in poverty and slightly above it for whom this tax will not apply to in the first place. Union workers wont be unduly hit by this tax increase but it also depends on their jobs and how much money they make in the first place AND their health.

Another thing to consider is that in countries without expensive individual costs for health care, people are freer to actually go to the doctor for check ups - preventing many illnesses, diseases, and injuries that otherwise would have avoided detection because the fear of going to the doctor and having to pay for the visit if something is wrong could CRIPPLE people financially. People also do not have to fear being actually sick, injured, etc. and having to weigh "should I go to the doctor or not? This will be expensive, but I can deal with it on my own to save money" etc. - A very real concern for many people. We know that upwards of 40% of Americans may not even have $500+ in savings for an emergency, how can we expect them to be on top of their health in holistic ways. Medicare 4 All would solve this problem and lead to a generally healthier populace in those regards, and for people that this phenomenon is currently an issue, they are much much more likely to save money in the long run.

There is a bit of this tax plan that has more specific numbers on the cut offs to the point I was making, but I'm too tired to look right now, I will look later.

Finally, here's a modestly accurate breakdown of some of the health care plans that these candidates support on specific issues in the bills. Some of it isn't accurate anymore because political flip flopping but the bills proposed are mostly these: I can't recall anyone who came up with a health care plan in the last few months that doesn't borrow heavily or literally copy paste these proposed ideas. Feel free to tell me who did though:

https://www.vox.com/2018/12/13/18103087/medicare-for-all-explained-single-payer-health-care-sanders-jayapal

Edited by ItsTommyBitch
私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから
  • Thanks 1

Born To Slay
6 hours ago, Whispering said:

Well here’s the thing tho, under Medicare For All employers will likely be hit with a payroll tax while also losing their tax break for health insurance. So employers, at least under a Sanders plan, would pay a significant amount of the cost of the bill.