Jump to content
LG6
tech

Facebook employees had access to millions of user passwords

Featured Posts

Scathach

Who is surprised ? And it’s the same for every social media plateform. They all know our passwords, birthdate, location...

  • Thanks 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
hg1171
6 minutes ago, Scathach said:

Who is surprised ? And it’s the same for every social media plateform. They all know our passwords, birthdate, location...

If you read the article, Facebook reportedly stored the passwords in plain text which must not be the case as it must be encrypted and not to be accessed by anyone. But oh well, Facebook has been always a nightmare in terms of user privacy so this shouldn’t come as a surprise.

perpetually lonely

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
highlikegaga

delete your FB account challenge 

  • Like 2
  • LMAO 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mardy

Like anyone would have searched your password from millions pages long text files? 

There’s no need to make everything so dramatic. The facebook employees doesn’t give a f*ck of yours or your neighbors passwords.. 

  • Like 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
iAstroLeo
18 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Like anyone would have searched your password from millions pages long text files? 

There’s no need to make everything so dramatic. The facebook employees doesn’t give a f*ck of yours or your neighbors passwords.. 

There is a need to make this dramatic. Millions of passwords leaked yesterday in a ****ing text file :rip: Now, strangers have access to people's passwords, and most people use the same password.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mardy
8 minutes ago, iAstroLeo said:

There is a need to make this dramatic. Millions of passwords leaked yesterday in a ****ing text file :rip: Now, strangers have access to people's passwords, and most people use the same password.

Nope, nothing got leaked. The employees only had access to them. They do not have access to the passwords anymore. Not like I could go and search for them. I don’t think many or any of employees even knew they could find those passwords. 

Did you even read the article? :saladga:

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Economy
45 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Like anyone would have searched your password from millions pages long text files? 

There’s no need to make everything so dramatic. The facebook employees doesn’t give a f*ck of yours or your neighbors passwords.. 

I think this is one of those situations where ppl blow the risk out of proportion... I mean the chances an employee found out they could access these passwords and then specifically go after your account out of millions just because he wants to be a creep...

 

I mean the odds are quite low....

 

But still, it's still a vulnerability nevertheless especially if anyone has anything sensitive in private messages or something

 

I personally don't use FB much except for the occasional chat and I have nothing special in conversations so I really don't get phased by this cuz there's nothing anyone could do with my account :emma:

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
uo111
58 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Like anyone would have searched your password from millions pages long text files? 

There’s no need to make everything so dramatic. The facebook employees doesn’t give a f*ck of yours or your neighbors passwords.. 

People who might use these passwords are not going through them individually. They use computers to go through them.

Then, since people use the same password for everything, they will use this massive list of known passwords to break into a LOT of different things. And it’s all computerized (and very quick). It takes pretty savvy companies to fight something like this.

Now who knows if any employee leaked any passwords, but they could have and honestly some people would be willing to pay for them. Also, it would be very easy for someone else to steal passwords that are being stored in plain text, so it doesn’t have to be an employee.

The main message here is, facebook storing passwords in plain text IS dangerous, even if you don’t understand why.

Edited by uo111
  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
iAstroLeo
24 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Nope, nothing got leaked. The employees only had access to them. They do not have access to the passwords anymore. Not like I could go and search for them. I don’t think many or any of employees even knew they could find those passwords. 

Did you even read the article? :saladga:

Who said I was talking about this artcle? :saladga:

I saw a news article this morning that millions of passwords leaked yesterday from Facebook and Instagram.

giphy.gif

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mardy
6 hours ago, iAstroLeo said:

Who said I was talking about this artcle? :saladga:

I saw a news article this morning that millions of passwords leaked yesterday from Facebook and Instagram.

giphy.gif

Well, I did look it up. No traces were found that anything got leaked. Maybe you should get your facts checked? Only news about this, where nothing got leaked. 

 

7 hours ago, uo111 said:

People who might use these passwords are not going through them individually. They use computers to go through them.

Then, since people use the same password for everything, they will use this massive list of known passwords to break into a LOT of different things. And it’s all computerized (and very quick). It takes pretty savvy companies to fight something like this.

Now who knows if any employee leaked any passwords, but they could have and honestly some people would be willing to pay for them. Also, it would be very easy for someone else to steal passwords that are being stored in plain text, so it doesn’t have to be an employee.

The main message here is, facebook storing passwords in plain text IS dangerous, even if you don’t understand why.

Facebook already fixed their problem, and there is no storing passwords in plain text anymore. Also, there shouldn’t have been in the first place.

As I already noted, I dont think many or any employees knew they could find the passwords.

This is just the news and media creating hysteria out of nothing. The main point is that absolutely none gives a single **** of our passwords.

I would understand that people would be scared if nuclear launching codes were leaked, or military satellites were hacked. But in reality none of that is possible. Who cares if your facebook password was visible to some employees? 

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
hg1171
5 hours ago, Mardy said:

Who cares if your facebook password was visible to some employees? 

Wouldn’t you care if someone you don’t know have access to your door keys of your house? If privacy matters to you in your life, it should matter on your online accounts too. 

Edited by hg1171
perpetually lonely

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
LanaDelGrant

i don't have a facebook, never regretted it :)

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mardy
2 hours ago, hg1171 said:

Wouldn’t you care if someone you don’t know have access to your door keys of your house? If privacy matters to you in your life, it should matter on your online accounts too. 

I wouldn’t care if the same person had 600 million other keys and they did not even know they had those keys. What are the chances they would ever use the key on my door?

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...