Apple Music
tech

Juul Labs to pull social media accounts, restrict flavor sales

Featured Posts

LateToCult

WASHINGTON — Facing mounting government pressure and a public backlash over the epidemic of teenage vaping, Juul Labs announced on Tuesday that it would stop selling most of its flavored e-cigarette pods in retail stores and would discontinue its social media promotions.

The decision by the San Francisco-based company, which has more than 70 percent of the e-cigarette market share in the United States, was made as the Food and Drug Administration moved forward with a plan to ban sales of flavored e-cigarettes in convenience stores and gas stations. The agency was expected to announce its formal plan, which also included stepping up the requirements for age verification of online sales of flavored e-cigarette products, later this week.

In recent months, the F.D.A. has mounted an increasingly aggressive campaign against the major manufacturers of vaping products that appeal to youths, focusing particularly on Juul. The company’s sleek product resembles a flash-drive and has been sold in flavors like creme and mango, leading public health officials to criticize the company and others for appearing to market directly to teenagers who are especially vulnerable to nicotine addiction.

“Our intent was never to have youth use Juul,” said Kevin Burns, chief executive of Juul Labs in a statement emailed to reporters. “But intent is not enough. The numbers are what matter and the numbers tell us underage use of e-cigarettes is a problem.”

But critics and public health advocates said the company had no choice, especially after the F.D.A. raided its headquarters last month seeking documents related to marketing and it came under scrutiny by some states investigating whether its tactics were directly aimed at minors.

Caroline Renzulli, a spokeswoman for the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, called Juul’s announcement too little too late. “Juul’s social media marketing fueled its popularity with kids,” she said. “Now that it has captured 75 percent of the e-cigarette market, Juul no longer needs to do social media marketing because its young customers are doing it for them.”

Mr. Burns said that as of Tuesday, Juul would stop accepting retail orders for mango, fruit, creme and cucumber Juul pods, but would continue to sell menthol, mint and tobacco flavors that are also available in regular tobacco cigarettes. Buried in the back of the announcement, however, the company said it would renew sales of those products at retail outlets that invested in age-verification technology. A timetable for resuming those sales was not announced.

In addition, Juul said it would shut down its Facebook and Instagram accounts in the United States that promoted use of the flavored pods. According to its release, the company said it would ask the major social media companies, including Twitter and Snapchat, to help them “police” posts that promote the use of e-cigarettes or cigarettes by underage users.

more here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/11/13/health/juul-ecigarettes-vaping-teenagers.amp.html

Can people just move on to the next fad already? Juuls are so annoying.  :madge:

Edited by LateToCult
  • Like 2
  • YAAAS 1
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 2

Shipper

Wow so someone in the government is actually working.  I thought all of them play golf and go to tan salons like the national head. 

Good for the FDA! 

Box me up
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 1

Gladys622

It is a serious problem. It’s so sad going to a game and seeing guys helpslessy run around because they need nicotine. Girls will hide them in their bra and ask to go to the bathroom just to take a few hits.

boom boom cherry

GaGaSwift

Thank god. I'm in high school and we have such a big vaping/juul problem. Little freshman are getting these things (god knows where) and getting addicted to nicotine and it's so sad to see. I have a friend who had a seizure from nicotine overdose and it's so scary. I just don't know why people need this as an outlet. 

Edited by GaGaSwift
Snow White is my main
  • Sad 1

Satans Ex Wife

I wonder why the Juul brand specifically is so popular with underage ppl

Today I was rummaging around in the office desk at the school where I work and I found 2 confiscated Juuls :smh:

I'M GONNA HEAL YOU ANYWAYS!!!!!

LateToCult
10 minutes ago, Satans Ex Wife said:

I wonder why the Juul brand specifically is so popular with underage ppl

Today I was rummaging around in the office desk at the school where I work and I found 2 confiscated Juuls :smh:

It’s sleek design and marketing was probably what made it stand out from the rest of the e-cigs brands. From then on just word of mouth.