DJ White Shadow
🎤 Use code GAGAVEGAS at SeatGeek.com to get $20 off tickets 🎤
society

Chanel Debuting First Men’s Makeup Line

Featured Posts

Kween

Diving into the swelling men’s grooming trend, Chanel is launching its first makeup line for guys, a three-product range, starting in South Korea on Sept. 1.

ma2018_22_01181.jpg?crop=0px,623px,1686p

The collection includes a tinted fluid, coming in four colors; a matte moisturizing lip balm, and four shades of eyebrow pencil.

“Just as Gabrielle Chanel borrowed elements from the men’s wardrobe to dress women, Chanel draws inspiration from the women’s world to write the vocabulary of a new personal aesthetic for men,” the company said in a statement. “Lines, colors, attitudes, gestures… There is no absolutely feminine or masculine prerequisite: Style alone defines the person we wish to be."

Contribution from @Rainbow1:

South Korean actor Lee Dong Wook will be the face of the campaign.

lee-dong-wook_1534772998_20180820-leedon

This is the very first time that a Korean celebrity has been chosen to model for Chanel rather than act as a brand ambassador.

Source:

Edited by Kween
  • Like 8
  • LMAO 5
  • YAAAS 4
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

Miracle

this is stupid.

make up has no gender.

(i can't believe this consists of an eyebrow pencil, a lip balm and a watered down foundation. Tragique)

Edited by Miracle
  • Like 23
  • LMAO 1
  • Thanks 3

elijahfan
1 minute ago, Miracle said:

this is stupid.

make up has no gender.

That's the whole point of this line

• Like 1
  • LMAO 3
  • Thanks 1

Miracle
Just now, elijahfan said:

so what's the point of releasing three items you can get on every normal make up store (one of them is not even a make up product, but a lip care one)? why don't they release lipsticks or eyeliner for men? Or just change their campaign and promote their usual products towards everyone? This is absolutely ridiculous

• Like 22

arrtpop
4 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

there shouldn’t have to be a whole separate collection

aphrodite
  • Like 1

Miracle

Different make up brands base their campaigns on make uo being for everyone, and promote their products with models with models within every range of the gender spectrum. That's actually interesting. This is bullshit 

• Like 1

elijahfan
2 minutes ago, Miracle said:

so what's the point of releasing three items you can get on every normal make up store (one of them is not even a make up product, but a lip care one)? why don't they release lipsticks or eyeliner for men? Or just change their campaign and promote their usual products towards everyone? This is absolutely ridiculous

Because the concept of men putting makeup on is still far from being universally accepted/embraced, and that's called baby steps. Coming from a big brand like CHANEL, it is something to applaud.

• Like 22
  • YAAAS 2
  • Thanks 3

Miracle
1 minute ago, elijahfan said:

Because the concept of men putting makeup on is still far from being universally accepted/embraced, and that's called baby steps. Coming from a big brand like CHANEL, it is something to applaud.

I think it's divisive and a way to profit from insecure men who think buying women products is gay

• Like 11
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 1

neptugne

basically the same products in a new package lol

I'd more be here for marketing the products they already have but with men, bc now there could be a whole "male makeup" section when.... chemicals in makeup are the same.. gender doesn't change anything...

• Like 7
  • LMAO 1

arrtpop
2 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

to me, something to applaud would be chanel putting boys in their makeup ads and campains, not launching a whole new campaign exclusively for boys.

aphrodite
  • Like 4

elijahfan
4 minutes ago, arrtpop said:

there shouldn’t have to be a whole separate collection

It's amazing that you guys are so beyond the point of considering makeup a female-only thing. If only the whole world could think like you.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

witchcocktor

I can't help but wonder who the main demographic for this product is. Men who already use makeup probably have their favorites and don't need a product that '' caters '' to them to buy makeup. And I don't see any man who doesn't use makeup getting interested in makeup because OH EM GEE CHANEL RELEASED MAKEUP MARKETED TOWARDS MEN/EVERYONE!!! EEK, LET ME GET SUM! 

So really it just comes down to (male) instathots and labelwhores who are obsessed with labels and luxury, who'll buy the product to showoff and use as an accessory. That doesn't seem like a big enough market.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

elijahfan
Just now, arrtpop said:

to me, something to applaud would be chanel putting boys in their makeup ads and campains, not launching a whole new campaign exclusively for boys.

They were the first to have a male ambassador for their landmark female perfume. Give them a break, they're trying.

data.jpg

• Like 4
  • LMAO 2

geopang

Makeup has no gender. I find this nothing but a tragic attempt to cater to toxic masculinity. 

• Like 2
  • LMAO 1

Kween
2 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

It's amazing that you guys are so beyond the point of considering makeup a female-only thing. If only the whole world could think like you.

Exactly, here on GGD where bottoms rule, the concept of men wearing makeup is more acceptable, but outside in real life I haven't seen many men wear makeup and it's mostly considered 'too feminine'. I think this is a great step towards it being accepted, as men wanting to shop for makeup won't have to look at 'products for women' (as the world says), but look at something that is made for them.

• Like 6
  • YAAAS 1