💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Madonna gets backlash for her tribute to late Aretha Franklin

stupidrain71

Featured Posts

zakariah

i felt that it was a bit too long and a little repetitive because it's like she's always telling the same story of her starting out and being held at gunpoint etc.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hausoffame
5 hours ago, Miky said:

Why does she speak with a lisp? What's wrong with her? 

It's the grills she's wearing. I love Madonna, but she needs to keep the grills at home lol

Glamourpuss
2 hours ago, Adakam said:

"Fake news outlets" What are you? 8?

I do feel that he/she blaming it on fake news outlets is incorrect. 

But you acting like they don't exist shows your ignorance, not theirs. 

TheAlpha

I really liked that tribute Madonna did for Madonna.

You know this is just my opinion, right?

3 hours ago, Adakam said:

"Fake news outlets" What are you? 8?

Really? That's all you (and many others) got from my comment. Great...

Again, ppl don't seem to get that it was NOT a tribute, only her decision to say something about Aretha. Madonna was there representing herself and talk about herself. She just added something about Aretha to that. Jeez. How hard is it to get!? Obviously the speech therefore was mainly about her 'cause that's why she was there originally. It was nice of her to say at least something whilst others and MTV basicly said nothing. 

It's unbelievable how ppl don't get this. It not that hard. Not a tribute😬

GhettoFabulous
4 hours ago, That J said:

I'll prolly get hate for this but it's worth saying. 

Some folks here is crazy hating on a woman for telling a cool story. Same folk who get all wound up about people and appropriation...

After watching tonight in full, I dont wanna hear it.  Ya had black folk goin full ignorant ghetto trying to get laughs and there were none, ya had white men on FULL BLAST HOOD and you know they arent that.  

Yet ya watched.  Everything sounded EXACTLY the same and ya mad cuz the one person that showed up looking different had a backdrop of Ms QUEEN Aretha on her? 

Ain't nobody else did Aretha and they all had a chance to.  

It ain't about Madonna.  It's about people are losing our legacy by accepting nothingness as something.  Continue that?  And you wont be able to peel music off concrete.  At least she had something to say!   That's all I saying.  It was poseur central with everybody else tonight.  

Nah.  I ain't entertaining any new thread about appropriation when tonight was allowed.  

Did you REALLY sit down and actually type this **** out? :awkney: WHEEEEEW CHILE THEEEE....💀💀💀💀💀

dlioncourt91

She was there to present an award. She decided to give a nod to Aretha's passing and somewhat correlate her rise with Aretha's legacy even if it was tone deaf. MTV could have had a performance, a video package or even a banner before the show honoring which they did not do. She was never advertised to be giving a full on tribute as was the case with Prince. She could have worded things differently but nowhere in the show or ads was it ever "a special tribute from Madonna."

She did the same for the MJ speech at the VMA after he passed. I I I Me me me is all I remember hearing.

Grigio Guy
7 hours ago, Snow said:

At least Aretha got tribute from the biggest star on Earth so that alone is something.

While I can see your perspective on the situation, you do realize Aretha is also one of the biggest stars on Earth? This sentence makes it seem like Madonna is above Aretha... 

:saladga:

Religion is a product to sell.

androiduser

Madonna has a history about making every speech she does all about herself... I still remember her Malawi speech for Unicef (or something like that) where she mentioned Malawi one or two times and "me" "myself" "mine" was used all the time

sipthistea

There should not be any kind of tributes at the VMAs 'cause first of all, the VMAs are a mess and they don't know how to honor a person properly. There's no respect and the people who are in the audience just don't care (A bunch of influencers, celebrities, etc). Maybe the Grammys are a more proper place, as there are musicians at the audience who DO care for it.

And Madonna was just not the right person to honor Aretha. She always makes it about herself. And that "Bitch Im Madonna" comment was out of place. 

skaxboy

In all fairness, there was plently of talk of artists coming from nothing and now they are at the VMAs performing. They mentioned Post Malone how he lived in his friends living room, now he’s a big artist. I think Madonna was speaking to the new artists (like that cute boy band) or any youngster trying to achieve something, to not give up because rejection is inevitable. And that even her, Madonna, was rejected multiple times. I could see Camila nod her head in agreement, only to receive the top award a few seconds after. 

As as far as the Aretha tribute goes, Aretha isn’t really an MTV artist. Sure she was nominated in 1986 then in 87, but I don’t think Aretha ever attended the shows herself. I now place the VMAs at the same level as the Teen Choice Awards Or Nickelodeon Kids Awards. I expect the Grammys to have a full fledged tribute.  

People would have expected a tribute with “Respect” and “I Say A Little Prayer” or “A Natural Woman.” It would have felt out of place to have someone sing classic soul music on a station that used to be known for rock and pop music in its heyday. If an actual performance were to have been the tribute, none of those artists attending would have been able to pull it off. 

The least MTV could have done was have a small 3 minute video montage of her music and videos. Then a shorter version of Madonnas speech. 

Archived