A Star Is Born - Pre-order
🎤 Use code GAGAVEGAS at SeatGeek.com to get $20 off tickets 🎤
celeb

Madonna gets backlash for her tribute to late Aretha Franklin

Featured Posts

Mad Onna

It felt unintentionally disrespectful. I love Madge but I think she went off on a tangent that was a bit much. 

What I'm confused about is why MTV's "tribute" is just someone talking about Aretha for a minute with the VOTY award presentation right after. It deserved more.

EDIT: guess I was wrong!

I'm glad she cleared this up!.

Edited by Mad Onna
Born this whey
  • Like 24
  • LMAO 1
  • Thanks 1

geopang

People will never be satisfied. The VMAs paid Aretha dust with no tribute, and Madonna decides to give Aretha a moment, yet it backlashes because people are ungrateful. 

• Like 18
  • LMAO 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 3

iCpro

It was a nice sentiment, it showed how Aretha’s music inspired others and gave people the confidence to follow their dreams. However I do think the story went on for too long and the tribute felt poorly placed within the ceremony. It was basically just a lead-in to VOTY.

Gaga | P!nk | Sia | Demi Lovato | SOPHIE | Tove Lo | Katy Perry
  • Like 14

F AM E

i need to see the full vid before i can give my unwanted, pretentious input :poot:

EDIT: ok read the full transcript on harpers bazaar. I think it was odd, puzzling, and selfish. She could’ve reduced that story into two sentences and use the rest of the time to actually paying tribute to Aretha :madge: also she looked like post malone

Edited by F AM E
  • Like 3
  • LMAO 8
  • YAAAS 1

TheodoreRx

Hot take: These award shows need to cut the tributes. They never please anyone and always seem unsatisfactory. 

• Like 6
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 1

OracleMonster

What was Madonna wearing....... 

8 minutes ago, geopang said:

People will never be satisfied. The VMAs paid Aretha dust with no tribute, and Madonna decides to give Aretha a moment, yet it backlashes because people are ungrateful. 

People will never be satisfied but if they couldn’t give Aretha a proper tribute then they should have kept it :madge:

• Like 9

Sharyu
31 minutes ago, geopang said:

Madonna was in the wrong, she made Aretha's death about herself. If it was anyone female artist that gave the "tribute" y'all would have dragged her from a to z.

Warrior of the Monkey, Killing Peacefully
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Miky

Why does she speak with a lisp? What's wrong with her? 

Too many people here with moral superiority complex.
  • Like 1

daddybunny

I can’t believe people are defending Madonna lmao

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Sharyu
5 minutes ago, Miky said:

Why does she speak with a lisp? What's wrong with her? 

I don't think she actually has a lisp, having one myself. I think she just speaks in a faux British accent, much how many other artists do it to sound "cool" or more "educated."

Warrior of the Monkey, Killing Peacefully
  • Like 1

Miky
Just now, Sharyu said:

I don't think she actually has a lisp, having one myself. I think she just speaks in a faux British accent, much how many other artists do it to sound "cool" or more "educated."

Yeah, true. She does this so often, can she stop. It's annoying when she does it :sweat: 

Too many people here with moral superiority complex.

Blue Madonna

I thought the 'Bitch I'm Madonna' part was really disrespectful so yeah, I do see their point.

Proud member of Fall Out Boy's cult following
  • Like 14
  • Love 1
  • Shook 1

Snow
1 hour ago, geopang said:

Indeed! This was a nice thing from Madonna but since it's Madonna, what else type of opinions can you expect here. 

• Like 4
  • LMAO 2