💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why wasn’t Born This Way explicit?

whore

Featured Posts

elijahfan

Actually, those words are censored on TFM (she says "bitch", but we actually here "bit-"), but the explicit version album was made available afterwards I believe.

As for BTW, I assume this was just a marketing strategy - Interscope definitely wanted to pull all the stops with this one. And I think they censored it cleverly, like, the end of Government Hooker would be a whole other thing without those beeps. They didn't just cut the words short but actually made the censorship a part of the production.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Creyk
48 minutes ago, Born To Slay said:

She was less family friendly back then 

No

I think it was more of a "style" choice than really...censoring the whole thing.

I mean you can feel it on GH, it's really... aesthetic-wise nn

Bad Kids aswell. (TBH I NEVER REALIZED SHE WOULD SAY "BITCH" TIL THEY "LEAKED" (fanmade probably) THE "EXPLICIT" VERSION)

I mean, at least for sure they thought about keeping it "clean".

Otherwise we would get stuff like:

For the money. To sell the album especially in departments stores that do not sell explicit.

hausoffame

What's really bizarre is that I just checked her albums on Amazon music and BTW is labeled explicit. So are The Fame and ARTPOP. They also have the clean version of ARTPOP labeled explicit. :blink:

RAMROD
3 hours ago, ryanripley said:

couldn't she just have them on the jewel case so they can be removed?

You can't, the law require you to put it on the cover. Not something removable. So parents and adult would  know not to get/play it for their kids any younger audience and get/play the clean version instead.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ with birds I share this lonely view (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Haroon

I thought most of the censoring on Born This Way was intentional? :confused: Like in Government Hooker it was to highlight government censorship, then in Bad Kids it was to show that the kids are trying to be censored because they're bad, and so on :huh: 

whore
8 hours ago, elijahfan said:

Actually, those words are censored on TFM (she says "bitch", but we actually here "bit-"), but the explicit version album was made available afterwards I believe.

As for BTW, I assume this was just a marketing strategy - Interscope definitely wanted to pull all the stops with this one. And I think they censored it cleverly, like, the end of Government Hooker would be a whole other thing without those beeps. They didn't just cut the words short but actually made the censorship a part of the production.

I don’t know about you but she’s clearly saying “bitch”

whore
5 hours ago, RAMROD said:

You can't, the law require you to put it on the cover. Not something removable. So parents and adult would  know not to get/play it for their kids any younger audience and get/play the clean version instead.

I have a couple albums in which the parental advisory label is just a sticker on the jewel case, I remember one of them being True Romance by Charli XCX, and Night Time, My Time by Sky Ferreira. The label is for in-store use. 

RAMROD
Just now, Possibly Maybe said:

I have a couple albums in which the parental advisory label is just a sticker on the jewel case, I remember one of them being True Romance by Charli XCX, and Night Time, My Time by Sky Ferreira. The label is for in-store use. 

Oh, is that US release? That is new. 

You know, weird stuff FCC does "to protect the kids" :madge:

BeIIadonna
10 hours ago, ThisGuyTony said:

Wasn't there a rumor that she didn't want the "Explicit Lyrics" sticker ruining her album artworks? Or am I confusing her with someone else? :duck:

I doubt it seeing how ARTPOP has the explicit tag on the digital and physical artwork :laughga: 

whore
6 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

Oh, is that US release? That is new. 

You know, weird stuff FCC does "to protect the kids" :madge:

The Charli XCX was probably an import, but I bought the Sky Ferreira in-store in the US :duck:

RAMROD
Just now, Possibly Maybe said:

The Charli XCX was probably an import, but I bought the Sky Ferreira in-store in the US :duck:

Ah, that is cool. They should do it often sksksks

Italian

But if it's because sales in the stores, can't they just sell the clean version of the album (like ARTPOP and Joanne - they have a clean version)

ChromaticaPunk
3 hours ago, Possibly Maybe said:

I don’t know about you but she’s clearly saying “bitch”

They said the explicit version was made available after... not never.

Archived