I'll Never Love Again
economy

EarthQuakes Force Netherlands To Shut-Off Biggest Gas Field

Featured Posts

Economy

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Natural-Gas/Europes-Biggest-Gas-Field-To-Close-Over-Quake-Risk.html

Increasing earthquakes over the years have forced the Government of Netherlands to conclude that their largest Natural Gas Field must be shut off as a matter of safety

The massive gas field that has been tapped for decades currently produces nearly 98% of Netherlands consumption plus some exports and as a result it cannot be fully shut off at once

The starting soon production will gradually be reduced as new powerplants are constructed to compensate for reduced natural gas

The goal date of complete shutdown is 2030

Edited by Economy
jesse_batista

DutchHooker

I am devastated, we earned so much money from that gas.. 
Now we have to scrimp on other parts in our budget like education, because of Groningen..

Now we also have to import more gas from other country's..

:saladga:

We need DarkGa with Bops so we can rule the industry again and learn the other popgirls how to snatch 'em wigs to ultimate baldness!!
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Economy
19 minutes ago, DutchHooker said:

Now we have to scrimp on other parts in our budget like education, because of Groningen..

Helping the environmental damage of anything unfortunately often causes deep economic damage

Here in Canada we have the world's 3rd largest oil reserves but the population is very against pipelines especially in the Province of British Columbia (and that's the Province with the west coast we need to access sea ports)

For  years one pipeline after the other gets delayed due to legal challenges until companies get fed up and just cancel and build pipelines in the US instead

As a result due to lack of Capacity our Oil is landlocked and companies must take what they can get for their oil because they are lucky if they can ship at all... Others resort to expensive shipments by train which congests other goods that are now behind in shipments like grain and conola oil :air:

As a result... Globally oil is at $60/barrel but Canada's benchmark is at $35/barrel :sis:

People complain we are back in budget deficits and Oil Companies should pay more taxes but then they block every means they have of making money :rip:

Edited by Economy
jesse_batista

RAMROD

Wait, there’s Earthquake in Netherlands? :diane:

I thought most EU are not susceptible to that, guess not! :diane: 

edit: it is more hazardous than I think :diane:

http://www.geographical.co.uk/places/mapping/item/2125-danger-zones-mapping-europe-s-earthquakes

Edited by PartySick
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥ keep ♥ on ♥ dancing ♥ til ♥ the ♥ world ♥ ends ♥
  • LMAO 1

Luc
On 2-4-2018 at 1:30 AM, Economy said:

@Luc did u tell ur government to do this? :sis:

:sis: I didn't but these people did:

fakkelanp.jpg

Most money has already been made anyways. Too bad it hasn't gone to the relatively poor Groningen. It should not be a surprise that rural Groningen is a left-wing and in past even communist stronghold. What was said above about the 2 billion cut requiring cuts in other fields is not true, we could also just revert the tax cuts on foreign dividends and big companies to make up for it :sis:

• Like 1

Economy
15 hours ago, Luc said:

:sis: I didn't but these people did:

fakkelanp.jpg

Most money has already been made anyways. Too bad it hasn't gone to the relatively poor Groningen. It should not be a surprise that rural Groningen is a left-wing and in past even communist stronghold. What was said above about the 2 billion cut requiring cuts in other fields is not true, we could also just revert the tax cuts on foreign dividends and big companies to make up for it :sis:

How big would the tax on big companies have to be? Cuz that can be harmful too

jesse_batista

Luc
On 23-4-2018 at 8:55 PM, Economy said:

How big would the tax on big companies have to be? Cuz that can be harmful too

We had a dividend tax like every country does. Yearly profita around €1.4 billion, but they're going to abolish that tax :shrug: not a good plan imo. 

Magneto
On 2-4-2018 at 1:40 AM, DutchHooker said:

Are you for real?!:what:

Also, @Economy it's The Netherlands, but thanks for covering this issue. I live in this area and it's a very hard issue both politically and economically 

Edited by Magneto
Free my mind

Economy
7 hours ago, Luc said:

We had a dividend tax like every country does. Yearly profita around €1.4 billion, but they're going to abolish that tax :shrug: not a good plan imo. 

Oh I see...

Here in Canada I think our dividend and capital gains tax is efficient

50% of your earnings are tax free but the other 50% counts as income and the taxes your pay on it depends on your income bracket. So the average joe making $50,000 a year will only pay an effective tax on dividends of like 10% or so but a high income earner might pay almost 20% on it

Also gains on the the tax free savings account don't count towards taxes and since there's a yearly contribution limit on the account, average people can make money tax free but those with tones of money would only be able to take a small fraction tax free

jesse_batista

Economy
7 hours ago, Magneto said:

Are you for real?!:what:

Also, @Economy it's The Netherlands, but thanks for covering this issue. I live in this area and it's a very hard issue both politically and economically 

We have a somewhat similar issue in Canada tho it isn't shutting down a specific field

We have the world's 3rd largest Proven Oil reserves and that's not counting large shale reserves up north that we haven't bothered to explore in detail yet and so they don't count towards our proven reserves as of right now

But we can't build pipelines to increase capacity quickly because many are against it and the Province of BC for example has successfully blocked every major project for pipelines despite Federal Approval

Problem is reduced investment by companies here is money moved to invest in US shale and in the US their environmental standards are lower 

jesse_batista