💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

About what's a single and what't not a single

PatrickMonster

Featured Posts

PatrickMonster

Hi guys! With this thread I would like to discuss with yall what is considered a single, a promotional single and an album track nowadays. I've been editing Wikipedia articles for years now, and I have some knowledge about this topic, but I would like to hear your opinion about this stuff.

So in my opinion a song can be considered a single if: it is released officially in at least one major country and/or have a physical release and/or the artist or the team-label of the artist specifically says the song is a single.

For an official airplay release mostly bigger countries matter like the US, UK, Australia, Italy, France. They announce when a single is getting a radio release, so everyone knows. A song doesn't need to be released worldwide to be considered a single, its enough if one country has an airplay release of it. For example Dance in the Dark was released in Australia, Chunky by Bruno Mars was released in Australia, Talking to the Moon was released in Brazil (a very special case I must add) etc. As I stated before Italy is one of the countries to declare that a song is specifially released as a single through airplay there. For example we have Joanne by Gaga, Hold Tight by Madonna and Hey Hey Hey by Katy Perry. The commercial performance of the song after its release doesn't matter as all as HHH couldn't chart in Italy for example, but its still considered a single.

Physical releases are obviously very rare nowadays as they don't produce much CDs or Vinyls for singles. Digital releases dont automatically mean that a song becomes a single. Most artists decide to release songs before an album's release to get more hype for their upcoming record. They release these songs for iTunes and streaming but they never send them to radios. These are called promotional singles. Examples: A-YO, Venus, Dope. Once a promotional single gets a radio release anywhere it becomes a full-on single. Examples: Alejandro, MR, Dark Horse etc.

The third way is to have an official announcement from the artist that a certain song is to be released as a single. For example Bitch I'm Madonna never got an airplay release, but Madge announced via Intagram that she is going to release it as a single.

A music video only definitely doesn't prompt a single release: they might be gifts for fans or just a special way to promote the album. Good example for this is John Wayne which never got an airplay release or any announcment about being a single thus staying an album track only that has a music video.

AlexanderMagno

It's a single when it's successful.

It's a promo single when it flops.

:giggle:

I think it depends on the treatment it gets. If it's pushed to the radios, and official playlists, it's a single. Promo singles are mostly album tracks that are available earlier.

PatrickMonster
2 minutes ago, DiamondFart said:

So would we consider Joanne (piano version) a single? Or just the album track that was released in Italy?

giphy.gif

As long as they don't release the piano version for the radios in any country (or Gaga's team don't announce it as a single), I think it stays just a "remix" or a special release of the song as a gift for the fans. The album track was sent to radios in Italy so for now its an Italian only single. Italian monsters wont really feel its a single as I heard only smaller stations started to play the song, and the big ones are ignoring the release. Unfortunately they can't force the big stations to play it, especially when the 2nd single from the record was such a long time ago and the hype kinda died for the album. They probably thought its a good way to promote the tour in the country that's why the label released it. Maybe they had info about the piano version getting released so they went ahead and released it before anywhere else.

I think also a easier way is to watch if it's release as a standalone song. If it's a standalone song, then, it's a "single" if you go for the logic.

The concept for "Promotional Single" kinda changed after years. Back in the 80's and 90's, promotional singles would be sent for radio airplay (not really all the formats, but some at least) but they wouldn't get a music video. Nowdays with new platforms like "Spotify" and "iTunes" if the artist wants to promote a song, they can just drop it there and not actually release it as an official single with radio airplay + music video.

Joanne was released as a single, yes. It was sent for Italy radios, Gaga announced a special cover, it's a special own release inside iTuns & Spotify....Just like The Cure. (+ this time we got a beautiful music video) but it doesn't mean it needs to be a hit or a success now guys. Joanne (the album) already did what it had to do, it's still selling but after 15 months after the last official release is not like people will pick up songs from an "dead album" now. Yes, it's a single, but more likely just for the fans. We can't expect it to get any "commercial boom" because of timeline of events etc.

Archived