Jump to content
society

Ontario College Strike Ends!


JudasIsAHolyFoo

Featured Posts

JudasIsAHolyFoo

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/11/19/ontario-mpps-vote-to-end-college-strike-sending-students-back-to-school-starting-tuesday.html 

After three days of debate, Liberal government and Progressive Conservative MPPs joined forces Sunday to pass legislation sending strike college teachers — and their students — back to class over NDP objections.

“I am pleased we are finally at the end of this process,” Deputy Premier Deb Matthews said as the Legislature wrapped up a rare weekend sitting.

“This has been very difficult for students,” she added, describing the back-to-work law as a “last resort” to save the semester.

About 12,000 college faculty are slated to report for work Monday with 500,000 students returning to their campuses starting Tuesday.

“It is unfair to keep them out any longer,” said Matthews, who blamed New Democrats for forcing a delay on a final vote on the bill, which her government first proposed Thursday after college faculty rejected a “forced vote” from their employers.

The two sides were given until 5 p.m. Thursday to reach a deal, but could not break the impasse.

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said her party’s insistence the six-page “anti-worker” legislation be properly debated postponed a return to class by just one day, given that the government had hoped to have school resume Monday.

Sending the labour dispute for binding arbitration for a solution won’t solve deep-seated issues like the high proportion of part-time faculty members, she added.

“One of the basic rights of workers is to withdraw their labour,” said New Democrat Labour Critic Cindy Forster (Welland). 

 

Personally here are my thoughts: 

As a college student in Ontario that has been out of the classroom for 5 weeks there is nothing left to do to save the semester. We're going to go back on Tuesday and be ridiculed for the assignments we were not expected to do during the strike because there being no grading and there being a pause on what was being learned. No refunds have been spoken about at the 5 weeks we have been out of the classroom. I'm currently taking the Digital Photography and Imaging course at Georgian College here in Ontario and so far I am out $753 dollars from this strike (A lot of money to spend just to binge watch the office if you ask me :poot:) and around $80 for my parking pass. Students have also been told that they're extending the semester until December 22nd (from what I've been told... It could be later) and that means while my family gets to do christmas festivities, I get to study! We've also been told that our Winter Break in semester 2 (March Break) is a no go now, and there is a possibility that they could be stretching the semester into the summer. I also have a strong feeling my professors aren't going to be sympathetic to my Camera Gear being stolen and are going to give me a hard time while I wait for the insurance claim money to come through. So I'm preparing for my stress levels to sky rocket in the next few days and I'm hoping that Gaga can come through tonight and Cure me and serve me with Frankenstien'd because I need something to calm my nerves about all of this! 

Have any of you fellow Canadian monsters been affected by this strike? Or even international Students? If so.... Tell me your thoughts! 

Monster Ball 2010, Monster Ball 2011, Born This Way Ball 2013, artRAVE 2014, Joanne World Tour 2017 (Both Nights in Toronto)
Link to post
Share on other sites

bloody g
1 minute ago, ZacharyMark said:

How do they expect to save the school semester after missing 5 weeks? That's crazy...

watch me

『𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝』
Link to post
Share on other sites

Teal Ambition

Luckily I haven't been affected since I'm in Uni, but I've been following the news and it's an utter mess. I feel so bad for everyone in college right now :( 

▌│█║▌║▌║ before I am Canadian, I am Chromatican ║▌║▌║█│▌
Link to post
Share on other sites

JudasIsAHolyFoo
5 minutes ago, ZacharyMark said:

How do they expect to save the school semester after missing 5 weeks? That's crazy...

If any of my profs expect some crazy The Flash speed work out of us Imma loose my **** on them because I work at the pace of a turtle going up hill on an oil slick :bon:

 

Monster Ball 2010, Monster Ball 2011, Born This Way Ball 2013, artRAVE 2014, Joanne World Tour 2017 (Both Nights in Toronto)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...