howlerfox 139 Posted May 4, 2017 Share Posted May 4, 2017 Just now, Saint Laurent said: There is a massive difference and that difference is culture. Being proud of your culture is what patriotism is really, which is why I see nothing wrong with it. I understand But it still bothers me, especially when it comes from Americans (you must know why). I think "proud" is a strong word to describe where you came from. I don't know, it always reminds me of arrogance and superiority when someone says "I'm proud of being American" but it might be in my mind because as a Latin American I feel oppressed by your country. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Saint Laurent 4,862 Posted May 4, 2017 Share Posted May 4, 2017 14 minutes ago, howlerfox said: I understand But it still bothers me, especially when it comes from Americans (you must know why). I think "proud" is a strong word to describe where you came from. I don't know, it always reminds me of arrogance and superiority when someone says "I'm proud of being American" but it might be in my mind because as a Latin American I feel oppressed by your country. I totally understand the negative connotations attached to patriotism, but really the people who perpetrate hate with 'patriotic' motives are definitely in the minority. P.s. I'm British not American. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
howlerfox 139 Posted May 4, 2017 Share Posted May 4, 2017 1 minute ago, Saint Laurent said: I totally understand the negative connotations attached to patriotism, but really the people who perpetrate hate with 'patriotic' motives are definitely in the minority. P.s. I'm British not American. So I think we both understand each other point of views, haha. As I said it is in my mind this way for some reason, but I assume that I might don't understand because I wasn't "taught". Thanks for your explanation btw And sorry for your nationality mistake lol Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Whispering 18,865 Posted May 5, 2017 Share Posted May 5, 2017 On 5/4/2017 at 1:40 PM, Modern Ecstacy said: My sister lives in Iowa and she's on a student Visa there. What effect will this have on her? She might have much more concerning issues to worry about. Bannon and Trump's agenda is to “Sunset our visa laws so that Congress is forced to revise and revisit them.” People are having trouble renewing and keeping their visas. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Modern Ecstacy 3,890 Posted May 5, 2017 Share Posted May 5, 2017 2 minutes ago, Whispering said: She might have much more concerning issues to worry about. Bannon and Trump's agenda is to “Sunset our visa laws so that Congress is forced to revise and revisit them.” People are having trouble renewing and keeping their visas. Well she works there now so I don't if she still has a student visa or a green card or what Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
DeleteMyAccount 11,881 Posted May 5, 2017 Share Posted May 5, 2017 Can we please stop making these threads without understanding the issue? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Whispering 18,865 Posted May 5, 2017 Share Posted May 5, 2017 1 hour ago, Modern Ecstacy said: Well she works there now so I don't if she still has a student visa or a green card or what Possibly the same situation. Times are changing. On a positive note, she might have employer based healthcare. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Modern Ecstacy 3,890 Posted May 5, 2017 Share Posted May 5, 2017 Just now, Whispering said: Possibly the same situation. Times are changing. On a positive note, she might have employer based healthcare. Yes =) I asked her yesterday and she told me that her company provides her with healthcare Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
DeleteMyAccount 11,881 Posted May 6, 2017 Share Posted May 6, 2017 So now Iowa is going to doubledown on Medicare because of the new bill? Good thing we're still blaming Obama.... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Featured Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.