Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Entertainers VS Artists

Quark

Featured Posts

Considering  Lady Gaga has been cancelling performances, and everything about this "era" has been pretty meh, when it comes to visuals that is. She'll be just an artist this era.

By the way, what exactly are we supposed to discuss here? 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haroon
3 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Madonna is not known as a great instrumentalists or a great vocalists and she doesn't rely on any of these to entertain. At least not in general. However, Beyonce has relied on her vocals skills just as much as her entertainment props to entertain.

I know, I don't think Madonna's a great instrumentalist or vocalist and I didn't say she was :laughga: But I do still disagree with her not being part of both categories because of the difference in "artist" definition :tongue: 

Just now, Cerny said:

Considering  Lady Gaga has been cancelling performances, and everything about this "era" has been pretty meh, when it comes to visuals that is. She'll be just an artist this era.

By the way, what are we supposed to discuss? 

Whether or not you agree with me or just in general to decide who belongs in what category.

Whitney was a entertainer mostly because she didn't write that much and everything was just about her diva persona... but she had THE VOICE :poot: so I'm kinda confused.

tryna go ask Alice, tryna catch that rabbit

12 minutes ago, notamember said:

Not really. I'm saying that Madonna isn't only an entertainer, she writes and composes all of her music, so she indeed does belong in the Both category. Beyonce doesn't belong in both, she belongs where Madonna is in the list. That's why I used the same terms. 

12 minutes ago, Haroon said:

They aren't contradicting themselves :laughga: They're saying that Madonna's in both categories because she writes and composes all of her music and uses visuals and props, whereas Beyoncé only uses visuals and props and so can't fit into both categories :tongue: 

I was only slightly joking :flop:. I do agree that Madonna should be in the both category, but so should Beyoncé. Writing credits shouldn't be the only requirement met to be an artist. Besides, Madonna has taken many demos before and crafted them into her own songs (ex: "Like A Virgin," "Nothing Fails," "Heartbeat," and "Gang Bang"). An artist should be defined by how much creative control they have over their career and how high of quality the content they have is, and both artists have reached those standards. 

2 minutes ago, Haroon said:

I know, I don't think Madonna's a great instrumentalist or vocalist and I didn't say she was :laughga: But I do still disagree with her not being part of both categories because of the difference in "artist" definition :tongue: 

I do think Madonna is an artist in the sense that she creates many things with her visuals and videos and she also has some input in the direction of her music. However strictly based on my definitions she would only be part of the entertainment side.

3 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Whether or not you agree with me or just in general to decide who belongs in what category.

Alrighty, Sam Smith fits the artist category. Also, is this pop stars only? I only see pop stars in your list.

4 minutes ago, Gohan said:

Whitney was a entertainer mostly because she didn't write that much and everything was just about her diva persona... but she had THE VOICE :poot: so I'm kinda confused.

I forgot about her but I would put her in the artist category because she had a mastery in using her vocal instrument. And she did not rely choreography or props to entertain. She would not make the entertainment side though.

Haroon
2 minutes ago, Possibly Maybe said:

I was only slightly joking :flop:. I do agree that Madonna should be in the both category, but so should Beyoncé. Writing credits shouldn't be the only requirement met to be an artist. Besides, Madonna has taken many demos before and crafted them into her own songs (ex: "Like A Virgin," "Nothing Fails," "Heartbeat," and "Gang Bang"). An artist should be defined by how much creative control they have over their career and how high of quality the content they have is, and both artists have reached those standards. 

Oh I wasn't disagreeing/agreeing with either of you about the overall thing because I don't know enough about Beyonce's contribution to her work to :duck: I was just disagreeing with the post being called contradictory but if it was jokey anyway then disregard that :laughga: I do agree with the creative control thing and stuff :flutter: 

2 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I do think Madonna is an artist in the sense that she creates many things with her visuals and videos and she also has some input in the direction of her music. However strictly based on my definitions she would only be part of the entertainment side.

That's fair enough then :happy: 

3 minutes ago, Cerny said:

Alrighty, Sam Smith fits the artist category. Also, is this pop stars only? I only see pop stars in your list.

I forgot about him but I would also put him on the artists category. And yes, only pop stars. Many here wouldn't care to discuss non pop stars :giggle:. Also David Bowie would be both.

KingRedd
25 minutes ago, notamember said:

Not really. I'm saying that Madonna isn't only an entertainer, she writes and composes all of her music, so she indeed does belong in the Both category. Beyonce doesn't belong in both, she belongs where Madonna is in the list. That's why I used the same terms. 

But Madonna cannot sing.... so She can sit still look pretty on that list. Beyoncé is more of a total package than Madge.

May I Read You? 😎

CherryPi3

Add my queen Shakira to the both section :sis:

She dances, plays multiple instruments, writes her own songs (Her better ones are her old school Spanish songs), has awesome stage visuals, has an amazing voice (when she uses it correctly and that's coming from a stan :spin:) , works behind the scenes directing things and coming up with ideas, and an overall talented woman :firega:

notamember
Just now, KingRedd said:

But Madonna cannot sing.... so She can sit still look pretty on that list. Beyoncé is more of a total package than Madge.

But that doesn't matter. She sings better than Taylor Swift, which is in the Artist category, which is where Taylor belongs because she isn't really the best entertainer, but she writes and co-produces all of her music and is in charge of her concepts, videos, and material. Madonna belongs in both because she has those qualities that Taylor has, and she is a great entertainer. 

Beyonce is undeniably incredible at everything she does, but she isn't the "total package," because she doesn't come up with the music, the concepts, the videos, the Choreography, really anything. She can sing the music, do the Choreography and everything to PERFECTION, but she has an amazing team that does most of that for her, and that makes her the ULTIMATE Entertainer (total package in the entertainment category).

That is the way I look at it anyway. I'm not bashing her, because I love her. 

Archived