💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Entertainers VS Artists

Quark

Featured Posts

o<(0_0)>o

I have always said that there are two types of music stars. Some are musical entertainers and other are musical artists. And then there are some that are both.

Musical entertainers: People that provide big spectacles and stage shows. They rely on choreography, Dance, fashion, props, and in general big visuals to entertain

Musical artists: People show big skill with instrumentals, lyrics, and song composition. They rely on vocal and instrumental talent to entertain. So here are some popular pop artists and where I think they belong.

NOTE, many of the following artists are not strictly in one category but at will only put them in a certain category if they are good enough at such category.

Entertainers:

-Britney Spears

-Madonna

-Rihanna

-Selena Gomez

-Justin Bieber

-Katy Perry

-Fifth Harmony

-Justin Timberlake

Artists:

-Adele

-Christina Aguilera

-Kelly Clarkson

-Ed Sheeran

-Taylor Swift

-Sia

-Mariah Carey

-Arianna Grande

-Demi Lovato

-Ellie Goulding

Both

-Lady Gaga

-Bruno Mars

-Beyonce

-Michael Jackson

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
notamember

I don't like Madonna, but she definitely belongs in the "both" section. She writes and composes all of her music and she uses tons visuals and big stage props. 

And I love Beyonce, but she belongs in musical entertainers, because she does not write or compose her music, and she uses tons of compelling choreography, stage props, visuals, to entertain. She's an amazing vocalist, and dancer but that doesn't make her a musical artist. 

Haroon

I disagree with your definition of an artist :laughga: I don't see how playing an instrument or vocal talent makes someone more or less of an artist :huh: In my opinion the artist side means input into their work, whether that's songwriting or being a part of the creation of the album or having a say in the music videos and performances and etc.

3 minutes ago, One Armed Man said:

so what about people on Broadway???

Yes they could be both. But I said in my OP that this was about popular pop artists.

2 minutes ago, notamember said:

I don't like Madonna, but she definitely belongs in the "both" section. She writes and composes all of her music and she uses tons visuals and big stage props. 

And I love Beyonce, but she belongs in musical entertainers, because she does not write or compose her music, and she uses tons of compelling choreography, stage props, visuals, to entertain. She's an amazing vocalist, and dancer but that doesn't make her a musical artist. 

What a reverse contradictory experience :poot:

notamember
3 minutes ago, Possibly Maybe said:

Not really. I'm saying that Madonna isn't only an entertainer, she writes and composes all of her music, so she indeed does belong in the Both category. Beyonce doesn't belong in both, she belongs where Madonna is in the list. That's why I used the same terms. 

5 minutes ago, Haroon said:

I disagree with your definition of an artist :laughga: I don't see how playing an instrument or vocal talent makes someone more or less of an artist :huh: In my opinion the artist side means input into their work, whether that's songwriting or being a part of the creation of the album or having a say in the music videos and performances and etc.

This

Haroon
2 minutes ago, Possibly Maybe said:

They aren't contradicting themselves :laughga: They're saying that Madonna's in both categories because she writes and composes all of her music and uses visuals and props, whereas Beyoncé only uses visuals and props and so can't fit into both categories :tongue: 

6 minutes ago, Haroon said:

Maybe the label I used wasn't necessarily the best, but this is just a way to differentiate the two descriptions that I have in mind. Plus in general, a musical artists have always been seen as a musicians with great talents in singing and in playing instruments.

notamember
Just now, Haroon said:

They aren't contradicting themselves :laughga: They're saying that Madonna's in both categories because she writes and composes all of her music and uses visuals and props, whereas Beyoncé only uses visuals and props and so can't fit into both categories :tongue: 

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Haroon said:

Madonna is not known as a great instrumentalists or a great vocalists and she doesn't rely on any of these to entertain. At least not in general. However, Beyonce has relied on her vocals skills just as much as her entertainment props to entertain.

Archived