💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

GLAAD releases it's annual "Where We Are On TV" STATISTICS Report

ARTPOPdidntflop

Featured Posts

ARTPOPdidntflop

GLAAD has released its annual Where We Are On TV report, and while it found that broadcast, cable and streaming series are including more LGBT characters, they’re still largely lacking in diversity. 

The Where We Are on TV report; a comprehensive review of lesbian, gay, bis-xual, and transgender (LGBT) primetime characters in the 2015-16 television season. This season marks the 20th year that GLAAD has tracked the presence of LGBT characters on television and this year, for the first time, we have counted LGBT characters on original series which have premiered on the streaming content providers Amazon, Hulu and Netflix.

Of the 881 regular characters expected to appear on broadcast primetime scripted programming in the coming year, 35 (4%) were identified as gay, lesbian, or bis-xual. There were an additional 35 recurring LGB characters. The highest percentage of LGBT characters GLAAD has ever counted on primetime scripted broadcast programming was 4.4% in the 2012-13 season.

"Each of us lives at the intersection of many identities and it's important that television characters reflect the full diversity of the LGBT community," said Sarah Kate Ellis, CEO & President of GLAAD. "It is not enough to just include LGBT characters; those characters need to be portrayed with thought and care to accurately represent an often tokenized community."

tumblr_nwxjskGiPU1qcqoybo1_540.png

tumblr_nwxjskGiPU1qcqoybo5_500.png

tumblr_nwxjskGiPU1qcqoybo8_500.png

Gaga x Nicki x Azealia x Ariana x Kesha x Bey

Didymus

All of this is so boring. People should invest in getting CHILDREN to embrace different s-xualities by changing the content they're exposed to (incl. children's books, tv shows, educational programs, you name it) so that they will naturally reject later media content that doesn't reflect how they see the world. That is how worldwide media will change the most effectively and the fastest.

ARTPOPdidntflop

All of this is so boring. People should invest in getting CHILDREN to embrace different s-xualities by changing the content they're exposed to (incl. children's books, tv shows, educational programs, you name it) so that they will naturally reject later media content that doesn't reflect how they see the world. That is how worldwide media will change the most effectively and the fastest.

This is what the report is trying to do.

I suggest reading the report (even though it's 30 pages :sweat:)

:popcorn:

Didymus

This is what the report is trying to do.

I suggest reading the report (even though it's 30 pages :sweat:)

:popcorn:

Really? :flutter:

Now that's good news! Thanks for letting me know, I judged too quickly :air: I will read that, actually, I'm very passionate about the subject.

JustPokeHerFace

I mean, the LGBT population in most places is equal to or less than 4% of the general population. So it pretty accurately reflects real-life demographics in that regard.  

Didymus

I mean, the LGBT population in most places is equal to or less than 4% of the general population.

That seems absurdly low.

ARTPOPdidntflop

Really? :flutter:

Now that's good news! Thanks for letting me know, I judged too quickly :air: I will read that, actually, I'm very passionate about the subject.

Not specifically as in there's a children section 

but several times it talks about the exposure to women/men as well as boys/girls.

Wait :giveup: 

sorry if I misled you, there isn't a specific children's section but it is children inclusive and how they're exposed to this type of media. 

This report is just for statistic purposes, i'll include that in the OP

"Animated programming has been slow to reflect the diversity of the real world, but recent years have seen significant developments. One of those is Cartoon Network’s animated series Steven Universe, which has found popularity among viewers of all ages. One of the show’s main characters is alien superhero Garnet, who is the physical form of two female-presenting Gem beings who are in love."

JustPokeHerFace
ARTPOPdidntflop

Didymus

Agreed. I mean, please, I'm sure millions of people don't even understand their s-xuality properly. Everyone knows those "straight/gay/bis-xual" categories are ****ing laughable anyway now.

JustPokeHerFace

That's assuming all Gay people are out :sweat:

Also these stats are about 3 years out dated, the lgbt community has made significant steps forward in those 3 years from 2012-2015

The Gallup article states that the statistics taken in 2012 were similar to those from the last 10 years. Despite the fact that LGBT rights have progressed vastly from 2012 to 2015, I don't think the population of the community has massively grown. More people might have come out (as you have stated), but I don't think that's led the statistic to grow much more than that 3.8% statistic. Even if three million people that didn't identify as LGBT in 2012 did in 2015, that would only move that percentage up by 1% because the US is so massive. Also, that Washington Post article came out in May 2015 and utilized 2013 statistics. These surveys often take a while to gather information for and organize it from, so until another reputable organization runs another study and (no pun intended) comes out with more recent data, this is what we have to go off of. 

Agreed. I mean, please, I'm sure millions of people don't even understand their s-xuality properly. Everyone knows those "straight/gay/bis-xual" categories are ****ing laughable anyway now.

But remember that the United States is a country of over 318.9 million people. Millions of people would probably equate to one percentage point in the United States. If 3.8% of the population of the United States identified as LGBT, that is still over 12 million people. Which is why I think that a percentage of around 4% is accurate. 

Archived