Apple Music

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incest a 'fundamental right', German committee says

Featured Posts

Morphine Prince

Laws banning incest between brothers and sisters in Germany could be scrapped after a government ethics committee said the they were an unacceptable intrusion into the right to s-xual self-determination.

“Criminal law is not the appropriate means to preserve a social taboo,†the German Ethics Council said in a statement. “The fundamental right of adult siblings to s-xual self-determination is to be weighed more heavily than the abstract idea of protection of the family.â€

Their intervention follows a notorious case in which a brother and sister living as partners in Saxony had four children together. The couple had been raised separately and only met when the brother, identified only as Patrick S, was an adult, and his sister Susan K was 16.

Patrick S was sentenced to more than three years in prison for incest and the couple have since failed in their bid to have the guilty verdict overturned by the European Court of Human Rights.

The family was forced to live apart after the courts ruled that there was a duty to protect their children from the consequences of their relationship.

Two of the couple’s children are disabled, and it is believed that incest carries a higher risk of resulting in children with genetic abnormalities.

But the Ethics Council dismissed that argument, on the basis that other genetically affected couples are not banned from having children.

The Council said it based its recommendation on extensive research, in which it found many incestuous couples are forced to live in secret.

In one case, it found a woman was being blackmailed by her father and ex-husband, who threatened to depive her of access to her children unless she ended a new relationship with her half-brother.

Incest remains illegal in the UK and most European countries, although France abolished its incest laws under Napoleon I and there has been growing debate over the taboo in Germany.

Around two to four per cent of Germans have had “incestuous experiencesâ€, according to an estimate by the Max Planck Institute.

But a spokeswoman for Angela Merkel’s ruling Christian Democrats indicated the government was unlikely to adopt the Ethics Council’s recommendations.

“The abolition of the offense of incest between siblings would be the wrong signal,†said Elisabeth Winkelmeier-Becker, legal policy spokeswoman for the party’s group in parliament.

“Eliminating the threat of punishment against incestuous acts within families would run counter to the protection of undisturbed development for children.â€

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/11119062/Incest-a-fundamental-right-German-committee-says.html

For the debt I owe, gotta sell my soul, 'Cause I can't say no, no, I can't say no

Raikou

This won't sit well but at the end of the day, it's true.

...If they aren't hurting anybody.  :ohno:

tiffa

If they truly believe incest is okay, they should at least BAN the conception of a child due to ETHICS. Why? Because it is known and proven that it can cause birth defects, mutation and diseases.

Iismetti

If s-x between close relatives would create normal babies then OK, but the children are in a high chance of having all sorts of problems 

I'm Michelle Pfeiffer

SKANK

If they truly believe incest is okay, they should at least BAN the conception of a child due to ETHICS. Why? Because it is known and proven that it can cause birth defects, mutation and diseases.

It is also proven that women over forty are more likely to have children with birth defects. Should we make it illegal for women over a certain age to have s-x?

It should not be illegal for two adults to engage in consensual s-x, regardless of their genes.

tiffa

It is also proven that women over forty are more likely to have children with birth defects. Should we make it illegal for women over a certain age to have s-x?

It should not be illegal for two adults to engage in consensual s-x, regardless of their genes.

I said conceive children. They can boink all they want, I don't care.

Economy

I agree to an extent.

Its a social taboo as they pointed out. I personaly would never support incest.

But it shouldnt be qualified as a "crime" either :shrug:

SKANK

I said conceive children. They can boink all they want, I don't care.

You are totally right, I misread your post.

Pop

Grown ups should be able to have s-x and love other grown ups.

I personally wouldn't date anyone from my family, but if someone wants to why should we stop them? It's their business. 

The Taylor Brigade: KNOCKOUT