💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Gaga's Backing [lead] track (Lip-syncing chorus?)

EvilChromatica

Featured Posts

Whispering

I 100% believe it should be illegal to charge fans for a "concert" while using background vocals or lip synching. 100% no exception. If you can't pull it off live, it isn't live, so don't advertise it as that. Unless you've come up with something where you can pull it off. Singing a few lines here and there while pre recorded vocals play is one thing. But isn't much different than lip syncing.

Thankfully, we don't have to worry about this with Gaga, because she sings live!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SS77

I 100% believe it should be illegal to charge fans for a "concert" while using background vocals or lip synching. 100% no exception. If you can't pull it off live, it isn't live, so don't advertise it as that. Unless you've come up with something where you can pull it off. Singing a few lines here and there while pre recorded vocals play is one thing. But isn't much different than lip syncing.

Gaga fans should re watch this

Live "Mistakes And All" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q18QZiaA4Bg

Sigh. Makes me sad.

HORRORHOLIC

Some of you didn't noticed but Applause pre-chorus, Swine and Aura choruses have all the vocals fron the studio version, not just backings :wtf:

Not cool at all

Interludicrous

Gaga fans should re watch this

Live "Mistakes And All" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q18QZiaA4Bg

Sometimes backing vocals are necessary. A song like Applause: she can't sing both "A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E", as well as "Make it real loud!" at the same time. But in other songs, like Bad Romance or Venus, she uses several layers of vocals. So if she didn't use a backing track, her vocals would sound a lot more 'flat' than in the album version. So in my opinion, these are situations in which backing vocals are necessary.

That said, Gaga does use them too loud and too often. Her own voice is flooded by the backing vocals in a lot of choruses. She does sing most verses solo, but even stuff like "Greetings Himeros..." or "I know that we are young..." in G.U.Y. and Alejandro, which is spoken, are done with backing vocals. And I have no clue why that would be necessary.

Backing vocals should be there to support Gaga in parts where it's impossible for her to sing something. They shouldn't be a noticeable part of the audio. If a song is too difficult to sing while dancing: don't dance so much. If you can't properly reach the high notes: sing them differently, or don't sing the song at all (I'm looking at you, Aura and Lovegame), but DON'T conveniently stop making sound. 

It's like glueing together a broken vase. You know it won't be as perfect as it used to be (like her flawless vocals on the album). The most efficient way to repair it would be to take the glue (the backing vocals) and carefully apply it on the cracks to make it almost invisible. But instead of that, Gaga decides to take the whole bottle and smears it all over the damn thing in hopes that any flaw will be fully covered. And what you and up with is one mess of a vase with the glue still dripping off the sides.

edit: usually I try to nuance my opinions but this topic really pisses me off because I know she has the voice to pull off something much better.

IWasBornThisWay

This is the number one thing I've been critical of Gaga over. She is always going on about lip syncing and how she is so against it, yet she uses a backing track almost all the time now. While it's technically not lip syncing why is it considered so different ? she's still not actually singing live most of the time regardless.

The worst thing about it is how much of a mess it makes the performances look. As much as I'm against lip syncing (and I seriously think it should be illegal to charge fans to see a "concert" and lip sync, at least without it being advertised) I think it would actually make her performances at least look better visually and not be as noticeable if she would just lip sync a whole song instead of having two Gaga voices singing at the same time, and then one cut off, come back on or start talking to fans while the other keeps singing haha!!

It makes me look like an idiot when I say Gaga doesn't lip sync and I'm watching a performance on a show or something and my son asks why she's still singing when her mouth isn't moving.

I don't wanna hear about "oh it's because there is so much dancing" because that's bs. Back in the day pop artists danced and still sang live, even Madonna used to sing 100% live in the 80's and she danced her ass off. Even if that was the case, they should use back up vocalists so it's still live, or let the dancers do the dancing.

Well, tel your son that in some songd there are some parts which includes vocal effects or overlaying vocals! If GaGa sing without any vocals at all, just the band, watch your son asking why the song sounds so empty, when the studio version seems containing more vocal parts (i.e vocals effects or overlaying vocals)

Don't wanna be seen as rude! But its 21st century, music industry is going on. Some sounds hard to mim live! Thats why HaHaHa part on Aura are studio vocals! There is a distortion! Well, she still could sing it with programmer turning on distortion effect echoes, but she may come out of breath, and what if programmer forget to turn on distortion effect and echo? it will sound messy!!! I mean listen to BOSTON MONSTER BALL TOUR 1.0 Fashion skipping back vocals and synths! Thats because the song wasnt mixed before the show, it was a live mixing stems! Hope some audio remixers undsrstand me

SS77

Well, tel your son that in some songd there are some parts which includes vocal effects or overlaying vocals! If GaGa sing without any vocals at all, just the band, watch your son asking why the song sounds so empty, when the studio version seems containing more vocal parts (i.e vocals effects or overlaying vocals)

Don't wanna be seen as rude! But its 21st century, music industry is going on. Some sounds hard to mim live! Thats why HaHaHa part on Aura are studio vocals! There is a distortion! Well, she still could sing it with programmer turning on distortion effect echoes, but she may come out of breath, and what if programmer forget to turn on distortion effect and echo? it will sound messy!!! I mean listen to BOSTON MONSTER BALL TOUR 1.0 Fashion skipping back vocals and synths! Thats because the song wasnt mixed before the show, it was a live mixing stems! Hope some audio remixers undsrstand me

What's the explanation for her older songs then? Songs that she has sung for six years without backing track, especially in the chorus. Why do they suddenly need it?

Kermit the frog

Sometimes backing vocals are necessary. A song like Applause: she can't sing both "A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E", as well as "Make it real loud!" at the same time. But in other songs, like Bad Romance or Venus, she uses several layers of vocals. So if she didn't use a backing track, her vocals would sound a lot more 'flat' than in the album version. So in my opinion, these are situations in which backing vocals are necessary.

That said, Gaga does use them too loud and too often. Her own voice is flooded by the backing vocals in a lot of choruses. She does sing most verses solo, but even stuff like "Greetings Himeros..." or "I know that we are young..." in G.U.Y. and Alejandro, which is spoken, are done with backing vocals. And I have no clue why that would be necessary.

Backing vocals should be there to support Gaga in parts where it's impossible for her to sing something. They shouldn't be a noticeable part of the audio. If a song is too difficult to sing while dancing: don't dance so much. If you can't properly reach the high notes: sing them differently, or don't sing the song at all (I'm looking at you, Aura and Lovegame), but DON'T conveniently stop making sound. 

It's like glueing together a broken vase. You know it won't be as perfect as it used to be (like her flawless vocals on the album). The most efficient way to repair it would be to take the glue (the backing vocals) and carefully apply it on the cracks to make it almost invisible. But instead of that, Gaga decides to take the whole bottle and smears it all over the damn thing in hopes that any flaw will be fully covered. And what you and up with is one mess of a vase with the glue still dripping off the sides.

edit: usually I try to nuance my opinions but this topic really pisses me off because I know she has the voice to pull off something much better.

Im sure you've heard of backup singers.

HORRORHOLIC

I don't think it's ever necessary. If she can't pull it off 100%$ live she shouldn't have recorded it that way, should us backup singers or just sing it different "mistakes and all" and let it sound different from the studio version. That's why it's called a live performance.

This

HORRORHOLIC

watch your son asking why the song sounds so empty, when the studio version seems containing more vocal parts (i.e vocals effects or overlaying vocals)

I wouldn't have to. Because he already understands live performances are not gonna sound exactly the same as the studeo performance. That's why it's called a "live" performance and that's what makes specific performances unique.

Interludicrous

I don't think it's ever necessary. If she can't pull it off 100%$ live she shouldn't have recorded it that way, should us backup singers or just sing it different "mistakes and all" and let it sound different from the studio version. That's why it's called a live performance.

What's the difference between backup singers or a well-designed backing track? If she uses a backing track with ONLY the stems of the vocals that she needs to make it sound well (and NOT all the main vocals), it could sound great. And I don't even need it to sound like the album version: I love alternate versions like Paparazzi on The Fame Ball (which really suited her voice at that point). But what I'm saying is that there are smart ways to use backing tracks. 

And personally I'm not a fan of back-up singers like she used on TMB, because it gives me a musical/broadway-esque vibe, which doesn't always suit her music and definitely doesn't suite the 'rave' theme of artRAVE.

HORRORHOLIC

What's the difference between backup singers or a well-designed backing track?

It's still a live performance that way. I guess I just feel really strongly about things like that. But yeah, if she's gonna use it it would be nice for her to be able to use it so it isn't as obvious and her singing voice blends well with it. The two seperate voices can obviously be really distracting.

Kermit the frog

What's the difference between backup singers or a well-designed backing track? If she uses a backing track with ONLY the stems of the vocals that she needs to make it sound well (and NOT all the main vocals), it could sound great. And I don't even need it to sound like the album version: I love alternate versions like Paparazzi on The Fame Ball (which really suited her voice at that point). But what I'm saying is that there are smart ways to use backing tracks. 

And personally I'm not a fan of back-up singers like she used on TMB, because it gives me a musical/broadway-esque vibe, which doesn't always suit her music and definitely doesn't suite the 'rave' theme of artRAVE.

The difference is that it gives you the 100% live concert feeling and you don't stand there and wonder "omg, is it her voice or is it the album playing? Am I seeing what I paid for or is she going against everything she was so vocal about once again?".

I have rly strict rules as to what counts as a great Lady Gaga performance since I know what she's capable of and I know she can deliver perfectly with it being 100% live, as seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl0N7JM3wZk

Interludicrous

The difference is that it gives you the 100% live concert feeling and you don't stand there and wonder "omg, is it her voice or is it the album playing? Am I seeing what I paid for or is she going against everything she was so vocal about once again?".

I have rly strict rules as to what counts as a great Lady Gaga performance since I know what she's capable of and I know she can deliver perfectly with it being 100% live, as seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl0N7JM3wZk

That's the same thing I'm talking about  :omfgaga: . Because for THAT performance, she still uses backing vocals. You can hear it at 1:26 when she stops singing for a sec. It's still backing vocals, but they're designed so that they add to her natural voice without overpowering it. She sings the main vocal, but the 2nd or 3rd layer of vocals are done with a backing track softly BELOW her real voice, rather than side-by-side or on top of it.

• Bear locked this topic

Archived