• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Americano

• Doot

• Aidenaude

• HANZ

Top Posters In This Topic

freebit

Yeah this number is pretty expected at this point. Born This Way was a sales anomaly for her; she had hit a pop culture zeitgeist at that time which was a cumulative result of one of the most impressive rises to fame (and string of smash hits) in the history of pop music. An inflated number of people were interested in what she was going to do following Bad Romance and Telephone, and the release of BTW was perfectly timed. 

I do think that Gaga started settling into her fame once Born This Way (the song) came out. The Madonna comparisons and the general disappointment people felt was when casual listeners started looking to less challenging pop stars for cheap/disposable music, and she became more of a mainstream cult figure. She was of course still on top throughout that era, even though all her singles from that album cycle didn't quite hit the mark... the momentum she had built up to that point kept her afloat through that era, and the BTW era ended at a point where she had completely exhausted her worth in the public eye. That's completely normal; when you're the talk of the town, that privilege comes with an expiration date. Just like Miley Cyrus is that person right now, eventually people are going to move on and she's going to settle in too. 

So as easy as it feels to want to compare this number to Born This Way's obscene sales performance, this number isn't really that shocking. She's now settled in to her spot in the scene and will now sell just as well as her contemporaries. Her contemporaries, keep in mind, are actually the two flavors of the month, and released albums that included a worldwide smash hit. Applause didn't quite resonate so much (though it did end up being a grower), and even with that she's still on par with the others. It's okay. 

We all want her to be on top of the world but you have to understand that very few pop stars can reach that pop culture zeitgeist more than once in their careers. That Billboard podcast shed light on this perfectly. Beyonce only hit it twice; once in her debut, and once again with Single Ladies. Lady Gaga hit it repeatedly leading up to Born This Way and even hovered there through an entire era. Give her credit for that at least. With such a long hiatus from the public eye, and a comeback single that didn't exactly take over the world, Gaga's having to start from scratch essentially. Let her do it. Do What You Want is having to sell this album now and it hasn't hit its stride yet. She hasn't ridden the airwaves for US promo yet either so we'll get a clearer idea of how the album fares later on.

She obviously is more focused on giving this thing longevity than a front load, and that's fine. I know it's easier (and maybe more gratifying) to wanna call doom and gloom but we shouldn't lose our heads. Just look at this scenario objectively and you see that things are fine. She's just back in a normal place again. lol

/END POST. Pack it up everyone. This is all that needs to be said.^

/END POST. Pack it up everyone. This is all that needs to be said.^

Wow I couldn't agree more. Bless that post!

The Professor

DJWS: "It would be really easy to make another 'Just Dance' and I’m sure people would love it and we’d sell a ton of records. Neither one of us wanna do that."

please? 

SpadesToStart

she's not doing bad. I expected 300k, and I was prepared to be blocked by EMINEM because I'm not blinded by delusion like most of you are. IMO, prism's debut sales are FAR more disappointing than ARTPOP's. Why? Well because Prism is the follow up to a massive album that generated over 1 BILLION impressions in airplay & had countless of #1's + Roar was one of the biggest selling singles of the year. On the other hand, BTW was a completely different story. It whipped off over 50% of Gaga's fanbase, killed her momentum + Applause wasn't nearly as massive as Roar. I'm honestly surprised at how shocked some of you are at the opening figure.

THIS.  ARTPOP is a rebuilding album for her.  The music is good, there's promo coming up, and she still has decent radio support.

:coffee:

I don't know about any of you, but I'm still enjoying this album. 

Me too, I love every single song of ARTPOP, that's victory for me! 

To be honest, this SNL could really make or break her.

I just had a thought. I love ARTPOP and what she artistically is trying to accomplish, but ARTPOP does not feel like a "reverse Warholian experience" in the least. Like wtf gagz? I love it but I kinda agree with what the critics have said. 

Needless to say, SNL could make her IF she makes fun of herself, and really lightens up. If not...well. Use your imagination :flop:

Still love you b---h :hor:  :pawsup:

Givewaytopeds

1 in 1200 Americans will buy ARTPOP this week.   Really not much different to 1 in 800 or 400 or 200.

Most people don't give a ****, but if you are getting paid rich as piss, who cares.

I'm not sure the reverse Warholian experience means what you think it means...

Andy injected the ordinary aspects of pop culture into the art world. For example, the Cambell's soup cans into museums.

Gaga is injecting fine art into pop culture. The song Venus is a primary example of that. The cover art is an example of that. Her fashion is an example of that. Her integrating respected art into her performances is doing that. The small references in her songs are introducing followers of pop culture to things in the art world. I think the concept is pretty plain and right there.

She has little kids who know nothing about Koons singing about him and seeing his gazing ball. The general public is getting a small window into the world of high art, but the album is still primarily a pop album. I truly don't understand how this isn't obvious to some people, especially critics.

I will say it is not a new concept though. Many icons have already done this. I think it is how they became icons. 

what if ARTPOP ends up having Applause's longevity on the charts :legend:

that would be so much better than a strong debut 

My Favs = Lady Gaga, Janet Jackson, Ricky Martin, AKB48

Obviously we all want a huge blockbuster debut because we care so much about LG. But, I think this album could be a slow burner, kind of the way Applause was for a single. It's a huge hit now and still doing really well.

Once DWUW really hits radio hard (which it will, it's such an accessible song for the GP) and once people hear stuff like Gypsy, I think it'll pick up sales. We can't keep comparing this album and future albums to the meteoric first week success of BTW -- that's unrealistic and those numbers are such an anomaly these days. 

For better or worse, she made an incredible album that is so wild and fun and so full of energy and passion. She's a star who's going to burn bright for a long, long time. The haters can hate all they want, we know the truth. "We don't care what people say, we know the truth. Enough is enough with this horseshiiiit" 

HarryTheNight

I'm not sure the reverse Warholian experience means what you think it means...

Andy injected the ordinary aspects of pop culture into the art world. For example, the Cambell's soup cans into museums.

Gaga is injecting fine art into pop culture. The song Venus is a primary example of that. The cover art is an example of that. Her fashion is an example of that. Her integrating respected art into her performances is doing that. The small references in her songs are introducing followers of pop culture to things in the art world. I think the concept is pretty plain and right there.

She has little kids who know nothing about Koons singing about him and seeing his gazing ball. The general public is getting a small window into the world of high art, but the album is still primarily a pop album. I truly don't understand how this isn't obvious to some people, especially critics.

I will say it is not a new concept though. Many icons have already done this. I think it is how they became icons. 

thisss

Givewaytopeds

This is pop music, where naked music videos are the biggest tool to get noticed.   Nobody is a--lysing anything deeper except for people on the internet.