question

Where did Perfect Illusion go wrong?

Nycboy

Featured Posts

Nycboy

It’s shocking to me that Perfect Illusion only hit #15 on the BBH100. What happened? 

Obviously, it’s not her best lead single but in retrospect, it’s pretty strong work. It’s danceable yet rocky and psychedelic. It showcased a totally new side of Gaga. Was there really that low of an appetite for a new Gaga song in 2016? You’d think with streaming demand just from little monsters alone she’d hit the top 10. I certainly played it a lot in 2016. At the time, she hadn’t released solo music since 3 years prior. Why weren’t all eyes on her? And back in 2013, we sent random songs like Dope to #8 on the charts! 

Also, why wasn’t this song played on radio?? I mean, this was a brand new LADY Gaga song and it was upbeat! She deserved way more. 

(Thinking this through, I’m actually now feeling bad for Katy Perry seeing how an entire industry can just forget about you lol 😂 Gaga is very lucky have been redeemed)

Edited by Nycboy
  • Love 2

Red

The fans

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.
  • Like 1

Real Panda

The music climate was Trap music and Rap. And at that time, with the break from mainstream pop (doing Jazz & Tributes) the music consumption was moving to streaming. Gaga had not adjusted yet hence it was 15.

Rarely played on Radio.

NATAH

well she barely promoted it, only doing radio interviews which is really odd

i think it's clear she was way more passionate about MR anyways and put all that effort into a song she really believed in more and wanted to succeed

mother, what must i do?

Massive Monster

The song just isn't that great.

Other songs on Joanne like Diamond Heart, John Wayne and Dancin in Circles are 100x better. 

John Wayne and Dancin in Circles both had lead single potential in a very different way. I really feel DIC could have been a smash hit 

Kind regards
  • Like 7

Economy

Tbh I still find it a very meh song. It was one of the singles i listened to the least.

Like i listened to it a lot first few weeks cuz it was Gagas new lead single but after that I never cared about it again :enigma:

• Like 5

Rahrahbitchson

It was too loud, so much scream and noise going on all at once. I feel like is stuck in the middle of being a pop or a rock song and it doesnt complete the production to be none of those genres completely so it kinda went to nowhere, conclusion? Fire Bloodpop :ohwell:

Quizás bastaba respirar, sólo respirar, muy lento...💙

Stamos

I adore Perfect Illusion, but given the fact that she was going for a more alternative approach musically I can never forgive her or her label for not releasing Diamond Heart as the lead. It is such a stadium anthem and I feel so bad that it got wasted 

• Like 3
  • LMAO 1
  • Thanks 3

Aglaya

I guess 2016 was all about this electronic - chill - chainsmokers sound and PI was seen as loud and exhausting. If you watch the billboard year-end list for 2016, you'll find Love Yourself as n1, Work by Rihanna as n4 or Hello by Adele. I belive that's why Million Reasons did so well. People were not having this big sound

Edited by Aglaya
could mean anything
  • Like 3

VTV
Spoiler

Kevin Parker is an amazing and talented artist but..

im sorry but I have to say it

Kevin Parker and Pop Girls don't mix well. 

The Lady and the Legend coming soon.
  • LMAO 1

Schwerk

Her vocals overpower the music IMO and it's very loud and repetitive. Cool when you hear it live or play it loud, but very annoying in the background or on the radio.

According to Gaga I'm a ****ing rad bitch

scheisseJK

Ups i forgot the song  even existed :messga:

its not good song, forgetable, too loud and too repetitive.. its getting annoying after few listens now.. sorry:traumatica:

i think they ve made it in rush to create something more mainstream because interscope insisting..

and the effect was… :madge:

Edited by scheisseJK
  • Like 2

Auralegends
20 minutes ago, RickMonster98 said:

It is strong but was not mainstream or radio friendly at all

This... the screaming and loudness was totally not radio friendly and Gaga was not popular on streaming.

I think Diamond Heart might've been a better lead single for the album

• Like 2

Quentin
15 minutes ago, Schwerk said:

Her vocals overpower the music IMO and it's very loud and repetitive. Cool when you hear it live or play it loud, but very annoying in the background or on the radio.

Your reputation count has satanic vibes :enigma:

Screenshot-2024-08-29-221100.png

Follow every rainbow till you find your dream