Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Ur So Gay Will Always Prevent Katy Perry From Being A Gay Icon

Just A Holy Fool

Featured Posts

Just A Holy Fool

It’s kind of a forgotten song from early in her career, but the lyrics of Ur So Gay are so beyond cringe. It not only is laden with gay slurs and stereotypes, it really contributes to toxic masculinity thinking as well. I just listened to it again for the first time in a long while, and every time I am shocked that this supposed “gay icon” has a song like this in her catalogue. 

She has tried over the course of her career to correct this perception of her, but she ultimately has always been a panderer to the gay community with her music. Case in point, inserting a gay kiss in the Woman’s World music video, then editing it out in the so called “modesty edit”

okay rant done. 

• Like 9
  • LMAO 1

tylerjs

While I agree personally, the gay community actually loves this song (many of them, anyway). It’s so off the wall stupid and offensive that it’s almost camp, in a weird way. I think it’s a kind of reclamation but also a sign of the times. Idk, I hate her for who she is and I think she lacks any notable talent, but I think that song if anything is one of the few redeeming instances of her true artistry (even if she didn’t mean it in a “that’s actually good” way)

🇨🇺🇧🇸 monica from rhoslc kinda had a point
  • Like 4

Charmz

I think people aren’t feeling her right now cause her current era feels disingenuous. 

There’s a time and place for catchy pop music, I just personally feel if you’re creating pop (visuals+marketing etc) it needs to feel like it came from a place of genuine authenticity. 

Katy Perry is trying to follow an old formulae and probably needs a new team around her. If it was me, I’d scrap this album and do something different, and then in 5-10 years release this as the “lost Katy Perry tapes” or something and package it up like a secret vault release

Always & Forever, 🧚🏻‍♂️🦉CHARMZ🦉🧚🏻‍♂️

Rahrahbitchson

Katy get up!

Pics-Art-07-31-06-40-14.jpg

Quizás bastaba respirar, sólo respirar, muy lento...💙
  • LMAO 12

HelloHangoverz
7 minutes ago, tylerjs said:

While I agree personally, the gay community actually loves this song (many of them, anyway). It’s so off the wall stupid and offensive that it’s almost camp, in a weird way. I think it’s a kind of reclamation but also a sign of the times. Idk, I hate her for who she is and I think she lacks any notable talent, but I think that song if anything is one of the few redeeming instances of her true artistry (even if she didn’t mean it in a “that’s actually good” way)

A little OT but I find it so interesting how something can be reclaimable for one gay but, for another, it's out of the question. Like f@g I understand but Ur So Gay just gives off a kind of disgusting energy to me. Like how are people reclaiming that? :cryga: But it's not a criticism. People probably feel the same way about the word f@g whereas I'm fine with it, it's how it goes.

sometimes he saw his real face, and sometimes a stranger in his place
  • Like 1

Simon

I love Ur so gay at least it is 'something specific'. It doesn't matter if it's good or bad, it has some kind of taste. It's not calculated, it's like old Katy with a guitar. Her authentic side. Campy, quirky, a little bit weird but at least it's not the most unauthentic, boring and desperate attempt to gain success again.

And about lyrics... It just doesn't affect me, despite my orientation.

• Like 1

altern8version

From time to time I go back to the song to try and enjoy it in a silly way, but I just can't get over that "I hope you hang yourself" opening line. Not good.

Didymus

Is "gay icon" still even a thing for non-queer female artists? :rip: I feel like times have changed and we (justifiably) just praise queer people directly vs. women whose teams decide for them to pander to gays to get famous more quickly now. And, yes, there are grounds to put Gaga in the same latter category, don't even come at me, you know it's true.

That song is gross though. It's lighthearted, I guess, but it reinforces so many horrible stereotypes about what it takes to be a real (straight) man. I don't think of it as homophobic as much as I think it's just... anti-man and lowkey anti-woman.

NATAH
37 minutes ago, tylerjs said:

which gay community? cus i don't see anybody talking about this song at all :cheeky:

mother, what must i do?
  • Thanks 1

StupidLoveBis

Katy Perry isn't a gay icon because of this song, but simply because she's never really done anything to be one, and I'm not just talking about taking a position, but also about aura.
Gays like divas, strong women, and she's not that.

• Like 3

Didymus
2 minutes ago, NATAH said:

which gay community? cus i don't see anybody talking about this song at all :cheeky:

When it was released, I remember a lot of gays actually thought it was pro-LGBT somehow. I remember thinking it was "cool" myself that it was an attack on straight men, as if they were failed/fake gay men.

't was a different time, I guess. This is what poor representation does to your brain :rip:

• Like 1

robotvoiceinalice
7 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Is "gay icon" still even a thing for non-queer female artists? :rip: I feel like times have changed and we (justifiably) just praise queer people directly vs. women whose teams decide for them to pander to gays to get famous more quickly now. And, yes, there are grounds to put Gaga in the same latter category, don't even come at me, you know it's true.

That song is gross though. It's lighthearted, I guess, but it reinforces so many horrible stereotypes about what it takes to be a real (straight) man. I don't think of it as homophobic as much as I think it's just... anti-man and lowkey anti-woman.

I'm sorry but what? Like Gaga has always shown up for us, is a queer person herself and has been a staple in our community for over a decade now. What more does she have to do for y'all not say she's "pandering" to us? To me she has nothing to prove, she's always put her money where her mouth when it comes to our community and is a literal acclaimed star who identifies as bi

OT:- honestly I don't think it will. And I say that because if it did then she wouldn't be liked or praised by so many of us. I mean look what happened to Jessie J which is ashame because shes talented but her career in terms of a global popstar is over. Atm nothing of Katy's music and actions come across as genuine or authentic (and its why her music is tanking, that plus its so bad lol) so I think people will look at that aspect of things rather than an old song that was released back before Hot n Cold in a very different political and social climate to now

• Like 1

NATAH
12 minutes ago, Didymus said:

but Gaga hasn't been pandering to gays to get more famous, the target market for her work 2014 to now has been a very wide, general appeal

Joanne was a very US oriented GP era, her tribute acts + Vegas shows were intended to show the GP her talent, ASIB + Joker 2 are hardly targeting the gays too. there's been very few moments in recent years where she's purposely appealed to The Gays for fame 

plus the woman is actually bisexual sooo...

mother, what must i do?
  • Like 2