Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Critic’s Opinions: Woman's World

palma

Featured Posts

Juanlittlem

In Katy's basement of failure there's always another lower floor.

Locked in a basement again?! / I ❤️ Teletubby.
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 1

SHALLOW
1 hour ago, Nessun Dorma said:

I keep remembering ARTPOP too. The downfall must be the most difficult time for an artist. And I feel for her cause she probably had high expectations for her returning and now she’s being slammed everywhere. 

And yes, she should have known better and now it’s time for her to deal with her own hypocrisy. You just can’t praise feminism and associate with people like him. 

But the reviews I read so far are also about her sound and how her career is over. It is not just about dr. Luke anymore and it’s harsh to read this tbh. And I’m not even her fan. 

I was ready to stan if the music was actually good but she really couldn't have made worse decisions. It's all her fault and she completely lost my respect. I genuinely thought she would've learned something from the past 2 eras but she managed to make it worse

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

lastpopicon
46 minutes ago, Anderson123 said:

I can’t believe Katy is that dumb to think she was gonna get away with working with Dr. Luke and not have some backlash about it. Who adviced her to go and finish an album with him??? She really thought she was going to swipe the credits under the rug. 

if the dailymail is to be believed, allegedly her label advised her against working with dr. puke, but she reportedly ignored the concerns, probably because most of her hits are under him and she wants to chart again... which makes her look even worse.

I can't fathom how she and her team thought this was a good idea, especially because even without the controversy I feel like dr.puke lost his midas touch long ago. This is an absolute train wreck that was totally preventable with some common sense.

The melody that you choose can rescue you
  • Like 4
  • Shook 1

lastpopicon
21 minutes ago, Aren said:

But let’s be real, Nicki Minaj has done FAR worse than Katy, but for some reason she never gets this kind of backlash.

because she's a rapper, not a popstar.

The melody that you choose can rescue you

Teletubby
19 minutes ago, Aren said:

But let’s be real, Nicki Minaj has done FAR worse than Katy, but for some reason she never gets this kind of backlash.

Nicki has a big fanbase of people who, like her, have no morals

I'm just a bad girl trying to be good
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

PartySick
17 minutes ago, Aren said:

Nicki's got no more room to fall tbh. Those that stan her now will never not stan her.

Katy's still got plenty of fans to lose and people expected better from her.

💚
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

itsandrewtbh

Now I've had time to digest it here's my 2p:

It's a catchy song, I've been playing it all day. It's one of those songs I'll play during pres or when it comes on in a club I'll bump to it.

The stupid love comparisons are valid as it sounds exactly like it and it's obvious Katy has tried to emulate that for her comeback. SL wasn't gagas best song but it was catchy campy and fun and one thing I will say is that's it's okay for artists to want to try this type of fun catchy pop music and it's clear Katy wanted to go back to the catchy fun era of music with WW.

Where I think they differ is the execution, yes SL is sort of basic, the video is cheesy but it does not pretend to be anything else other than a fun campy pop song. SL is just that, it doesn't take itself too seriously at all and it reflects in the video. It's got no hidden meaning or tried to portray a message. It's just a fun pop song.

Katy has tried to merge the catchy pop song fun with a message and politics and a meaning, she's had two very serious albums with witness; where she tried to go dark and edgy and electro, then smile; where she had the self acceptance message and the birth of her daughter prominent through the body of work. Witness took itself too seriously and whilst she tried to go all dark and edgy she made the wrong decisions which fell flat. Roulette was great and could of been a good way to launch an album, she had the material somewhat but chose bon appetit(?) as a track to push the album (I don't think a pouting pixie cutted head sticking out a dining table and dabbing and flossing in stage screams dark and mysterious) 

I get what she's tried to do but like witness it's fallen flat. First of all having Dr Puke produce the song in the first place is a red flag and that in itself is a whole other can of worms. But having a song like womans world speaks to me that it's going to be filled with positive and empowering messages. Remove how the song sounds the video is dreadful in context... Listen it's a good video the way it's shot and the looks she wears... but, attached to a song about being in a woman's world?? 

I'm all for the construction worker attire and flipping the gender roles and even the sex toys... Like promote sex positivity! But then pretend your pissing in a urinal then doing a half assed tik tok dance before clapping your tits together kinda waters down the message... Then she gets... Squished(?) then she wakes up with robot legs and shoves a petrol pipe in her arse then breaks into another woman's home, ruins her back garden and patio then robs a young woman and fly's off in a helicopter???? It really doesn't narratively  make any sense, you've got a song about woman's world and you don't include Any pioneers of womanhood? You don't even embrace another woman on screen. You have Trisha Paytas and two muscle gays kissing... Make it make sense.

It all just falls very flat. She's not executed it very well whatsoever. SL was silly and so was the video but even the video had a narrative you could follow. It's come across a bit too try hard, you can tell she wants to regain her success she had in the 2010s but it doesn't work, you can see she's trying to hard because it's so obvious. She hasn't moved on at all from what she was, it's nothing new from her it's not a reinvention... It's a rehash.

The last mosquito that bit me had to book into the Betty ford clinic x
  • Like 2

Nessun Dorma
48 minutes ago, SHALLOW said:

I was ready to stan if the music was actually good but she really couldn't have made worse decisions. It's all her fault and she completely lost my respect. I genuinely thought she would've learned something from the past 2 eras but she managed to make it worse

She really made it worse. And it’s beyond understanding how her team/label/family wasn’t able to put some sense into her mind. I bet there were a lot of people against this collab and yet she took it from granted. It seems the craving for charting blindfolded her. 

find your freedom in the music
  • Like 2

HelloHangoverz

omg...it's only #3 on the youtube trending chart. it's flopping severely :enigma:

Does anyone think global warming is a good thing? I love Lady Gaga. I think she's a really interesting artist.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ariannajohnson/2024/07/12/katy-perrys-womans-world-feminist-comeback-song-bombs-with-critics-heres-why-its-so-controversial/

The Guardian gave the single one star out of five and criticized the song and its accompanying music video, calling them a “dated attempt at writing a feminist anthem about how women really can have it all.”

The Cut called Perry’s rollout for her new album “143” “desperate,” adding the song makes her seem like she’s stuck in 2016 “in a la-di-dah dimension in which…‘Male Tears’ mugs make bank on Etsy.”

Vulture said Dr. Luke’s presence “negates the song’s entire message” of feminism, and fans can “hear more compelling takes on womanhood” from new songs by other artists like Billie Eilish, Chappel Roan, Sabrina Carpenter and Ariana Grande.

Pitchfork condemned the pop singer in its review for collaborating with producer Dr. Luke, saying the song’s empowering message “rang false, simply because it was co-written and co-produced by Dr. Luke.”

Edited by Aussie
  • Like 2
  • YAAAS 1

27monster27
1 hour ago, lastpopicon said:

if the dailymail is to be believed, allegedly her label advised her against working with dr. puke, but she reportedly ignored the concerns, probably because most of her hits are under him and she wants to chart again... which makes her look even worse.

I can't fathom how she and her team thought this was a good idea, especially because even without the controversy I feel like dr.puke lost his midas touch long ago. This is an absolute train wreck that was totally preventable with some common sense.

Exactly. If she didn't work with Dr. Luke on this song 50% of the hate wouldn't exist.

he/him/his
  • Like 4

Mirrion Rizzons
2 hours ago, Aren said:

I think it has to do with how their image is perceived. 

Like how they annihilated britney for doing the bare minimum because of her 'sweet image' 

whereas, nicki has always been known as a controversial figure that kids love but parents hate sort of thing