opinion

CEREMONY | artRATE: the ARTPOP rate

Cruelty

Featured Posts

27monster27
2 minutes ago, Cruelty said:

02VENUSNEW.gif

VENUS – average 8.76

The highs: 11 x 18 [ @Chesescake @Lukasson @InsomniaMonster69 @LordByron28 @Werewolves Wanted @DoremonLove @Healed My Heart @huttont @crackpoppodcast @IWantYourLove @Aussie @Zeitgeist @RAMROD @Mizu723 @RebeldeFaith @SpiritBunny @chun li @LaFama]

The lows: 5 x 4 [ @Joshua81 @JustTea @Jose Alberto @bionic

2com.png

Some of these writeups have been analytical, & exploratory, & considered the context of the ARTPOP era and pop culture at large. Sometimes, however, all you need to say is… this is an amazing pop song. & ‘Venus’ is an amazing pop song. Gloriously WTF with a career-best chorus, ‘Venus’ is a love song at its heart, but couched in the ‘weird Gaga’ tropes, & it defies all the rules of the contemporary pop song to create one of the strongest entries in Gaga’s discography. From the juddering disco thump of the verses, to the jangling guitars in the chorus, to the celestial rundown in the bridge, every element of ‘Venus’ bristles with a sense of confidence & vision. It isn’t radio-friendly in the slightest, & yet it’s just an almost overwhelming gauntlet of hooks. It is Lady Gaga distilled into a single piece of music.

There’s so much context surrounding ‘Venus’. It was hilariously performed alongside the Muppets! It was in the running for lead single in late 2012! The song that launched a thousand @AFRODITA mixes! A victim of the second single curse! The first song Gaga ever produced all by herself! Flashing the gays in London! Did they or didn’t they shoot a video?! (they didn’t). But of course, you know all of that already, so let’s just bask in this esoteric, incredible, beautiful mess of a pop song. The only song in the rate never to score below a 5, ‘Venus’ lands as your deserved ARTPOP runner-up.

Comments:

Reveal hidden contents

@Poltergeist A timeless Gaga classic, disco, crazy, quirky. Screams ARTPOP!

@HeavyMetal Halcyon Pure gay joy.

@Daenerys A whole self-produced song??? Yes, please!!

@Onlygaga This songs truly amazing, and the fact that Gaga produced it is so cute! 😭

@Werewolves Wanted Such an incredibly addictive song. I used to play this song in the car and even my grandfather liked it and would sing along to the “VENUS!” parts

@Ultimecia The bridge is the least interesting part of the song.

@Juliandante Although it's a perfect pop song, I'm not really into its bridge. Iconic, yes, but kinda interrupts the flow of the song.

@allanrocks Love the song, but the bridge is kinda cringy.

@Head Empty This song is camp perfection. The chorus is stellar, but to me the verses are the true stand-out. So hypnotic and groovy.

@JazzGa ROCKET #9 TAKE OFF TO THE PLANET (to the planet) #PENUS If you don't appreciate the campy goofy glory of this song, then you just aren't a person I want to spend time around thank u!

@Gangie GaGa in her purest form

@huttont Favorite Gaga song on the album and in her entire discography. It’s a song that screams GAGA through and through. The vocals, the production, the layers. It’s everything I love and desire in a Gaga song. And the fact that it’s her first self produced.

@TXNNXTUS Gaga’s dedication to making Venus perfect makes it stand out

@sillynate Is this song about being in space, Roman mythology, or being a lesbian?? I can’t tell

lady-gaga-aphrodite.gif

Omg thanks for featuring me. :kara: Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that Venus was one of (if not the) last song made for the album. I remember reading that she first started recording it in September 2013.

he/him/his
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Cruelty

01Applause.gif

APPLAUSE – average 9.06

The highs: 11 x 19 [ @KubaM316 @TortureMeOnReplay @tofueism @sexy @AnnTakamaki @artdoll @ChrisGaga @27monster27 @not a member @TwistedTeeth @GrandeAvenue @Ioa99 @monstertoronto @Lady Gaga 2009 @Smother Em Eh @Cruelty @Gorehound @Aglaya @Sarah H]

The lows: 4 x 1 [ @marrytheminogue]

15com.png

In the end, what else could have been our winner? Receiving 19 elevens & a monumental 57 tens (more than anything else in the rate), ARTPOP’s anthemic lead single lands as your favourite track from the album. A propulsive slice of party-ready electropop, ‘Applause’ describes the thrill Gaga feels from the adoration of her fans. Gaga described the track as “full of happiness”, & the song certainly delivers a palpable euphoria as she commands “give me that thing that I love / Put your hands, make ‘em touch”.

I actually think there’s something slightly disingenuous about ‘Applause’. In attempting to embody the experience of being in a room with 15,000 fans chanting your name, Gaga only tells half the story. It’s impossible to separate that experience from the thousands of dollars you’re earning at the same time, & the thousands of critics that helped you get there – in much the same way that there’s an unfortunate double standard in professing to live for the “music not the bling” on the title track of an album with a $20 million budget.

But do you know what? Ultimately, it doesn’t matter. Above all, ‘Applause’ is a monumental pop song. It epitomises the quintessential Gaga spirit of being slightly off-kilter, & yet irresistibly catchy at the same time. Released a little prematurely in August 2013, the track went on to score top 10 peaks in twenty countries, & is now certified 4x Platinum in the US. Put your hands up for ‘Applause’, your ARTPOP tenth anniversary champion!

Comments:

Spoiler

@Bronco I love this song, but of all the singles & potential singles I wouldn’t have picked it first

@Poltergeist While I like Applause, I feel like it doesn't belong on the album sound-wise???? I know it's weird, but anytime I listen to ARTPOP it feels like the album ends, and there's also Applause, not like it's integral with the rest.

@ALittleMonsta most famous anthem of ARTPOP but overrated for me, its okay, its cute, it expresses how gaga lives for the fans and the video has a lot of art references 

@Onlygaga It definitely wasn’t lead single worthy, BUT still a great song!

@ImMatt It takes me back to 2013...certainly the most lead single-worthy. 

@Gangie Best lead single so far.

@Joshua81 Most commercial track from the album, no brainer lead single.

@Ultimecia Her very best lead single!

@27monster27 Lady Gaga brings her signature electro-pop sound out for a powerful end to the album. Lady Gaga takes a camp approach to her also signature raspy "robotic" vocals as she recounts about fame in the verses, and takes a shot at the critics that often don't do as much research as they should. Lady Gaga then belts in the chorus about how much she loves the applause, not for attention, but rather for the simple joy of pleasing people.

@Julien Lockhart Great lead single

@Juliandante I wasn't a fan of it when it was released. I have to be honest: I liked Roar more. I was kinda dissappointed when this was released and it wasn't as fun as other pop songs from the time. However, I can't deny it has become a classic on its own. And I can listen to it today and find it as fresh as the first day... not every song can relate to that!

@huttont This songs gets me HYPED

@Kandy life Remember when I got home from school and found out the song was out. I listened to it non stop that Monday afternoon. Lovely memories. It is still one of my favorites. 

@TwistedTeeth I need to know what the hell Gaga put in this song. How does a song from a decade ago sound so incredibly fresh and new. The energy in this song is revitalizing and incredible! Definitely a song I would NEVER skip. It’s timeless and brings the energy that ARTPOP is all about!

@dimitristhe Ladies, that’s how you make a comeback. A perfect pop song. Yes, it’s perfect and needs no more explanation.

@TXNNXTUS Very unique instrumental, never heard another song like it before

@Scarlet Bitch Banger(z)

@ARTGOD A straightforward pop banger that works as a great encore for the album. The production is relatively clean and the chorus is top tier Gaga. Loved it on first listen, still love it today.

834d85186f8f267d696059c956d0f476.gif

• Like 3
  • YAAAS 10
  • Love 5
  • Sad 1

heygurlhi
Just now, Auralegends said:

Based on the ranking here, can we already say that Million Reasons will be #1 in the Joanne MegaRate in 3 years?

joanne has other songs than MR? 

Ignore me i drink

1 minute ago, Auralegends said:

Based on the ranking here, can we already say that Million Reasons will be #1 in the Joanne MegaRate in 3 years?

i won't be surprise atp

gay are like pokemon evolution

gays -> socer moms

I Am a Joke

Auralegends
2 minutes ago, Cruelty said:

01Applause.gif

APPLAUSE – average 9.06

The highs: 11 x 19 [ @KubaM316 @TortureMeOnReplay @tofueism @sexy @AnnTakamaki @artdoll @ChrisGaga @27monster27 @not a member @TwistedTeeth @GrandeAvenue @Ioa99 @monstertoronto @Lady Gaga 2009 @Smother Em Eh @Cruelty @Gorehound @Aglaya @Sarah H]

The lows: 4 x 1 [ @marrytheminogue]

15com.png

In the end, what else could have been our winner? Receiving 19 elevens & a monumental 57 tens (more than anything else in the rate), ARTPOP’s anthemic lead single lands as your favourite track from the album. A propulsive slice of party-ready electropop, ‘Applause’ describes the thrill Gaga feels from the adoration of her fans. Gaga described the track as “full of happiness”, & the song certainly delivers a palpable euphoria as she commands “give me that thing that I love / Put your hands, make ‘em touch”.

I actually think there’s something slightly disingenuous about ‘Applause’. In attempting to embody the experience of being in a room with 15,000 fans chanting your name, Gaga only tells half the story. It’s impossible to separate that experience from the thousands of dollars you’re earning at the same time, & the thousands of critics that helped you get there – in much the same way that there’s an unfortunate double standard in professing to live for the “music not the bling” on the title track of an album with a $20 million budget.

But do you know what? Ultimately, it doesn’t matter. Above all, ‘Applause’ is a monumental pop song. It epitomises the quintessential Gaga spirit of being slightly off-kilter, & yet irresistibly catchy at the same time. Released a little prematurely in August 2013, the track went on to score top 10 peaks in twenty countries, & is now certified 4x Platinum in the US. Put your hands up for ‘Applause’, your ARTPOP tenth anniversary champion!

Comments:

Reveal hidden contents

@Bronco I love this song, but of all the singles & potential singles I wouldn’t have picked it first

@Poltergeist While I like Applause, I feel like it doesn't belong on the album sound-wise???? I know it's weird, but anytime I listen to ARTPOP it feels like the album ends, and there's also Applause, not like it's integral with the rest.

@ALittleMonsta most famous anthem of ARTPOP but overrated for me, its okay, its cute, it expresses how gaga lives for the fans and the video has a lot of art references 

@Onlygaga It definitely wasn’t lead single worthy, BUT still a great song!

@ImMatt It takes me back to 2013...certainly the most lead single-worthy. 

@Gangie Best lead single so far.

@Joshua81 Most commercial track from the album, no brainer lead single.

@Ultimecia Her very best lead single!

@27monster27 Lady Gaga brings her signature electro-pop sound out for a powerful end to the album. Lady Gaga takes a camp approach to her also signature raspy "robotic" vocals as she recounts about fame in the verses, and takes a shot at the critics that often don't do as much research as they should. Lady Gaga then belts in the chorus about how much she loves the applause, not for attention, but rather for the simple joy of pleasing people.

@Julien Lockhart Great lead single

@Juliandante I wasn't a fan of it when it was released. I have to be honest: I liked Roar more. I was kinda dissappointed when this was released and it wasn't as fun as other pop songs from the time. However, I can't deny it has become a classic on its own. And I can listen to it today and find it as fresh as the first day... not every song can relate to that!

@huttont This songs gets me HYPED

@Kandy life Remember when I got home from school and found out the song was out. I listened to it non stop that Monday afternoon. Lovely memories. It is still one of my favorites. 

@TwistedTeeth I need to know what the hell Gaga put in this song. How does a song from a decade ago sound so incredibly fresh and new. The energy in this song is revitalizing and incredible! Definitely a song I would NEVER skip. It’s timeless and brings the energy that ARTPOP is all about!

@dimitristhe Ladies, that’s how you make a comeback. A perfect pop song. Yes, it’s perfect and needs no more explanation.

@TXNNXTUS Very unique instrumental, never heard another song like it before

@Scarlet Bitch Banger(z)

@ARTGOD A straightforward pop banger that works as a great encore for the album. The production is relatively clean and the chorus is top tier Gaga. Loved it on first listen, still love it today.

834d85186f8f267d696059c956d0f476.gif

No shade but

Spoiler

Angry Man GIF by Sealed With A GIF

Cruelty

artRATE%20thankyou.png

Lastly I just need to say thank you! It was really fun seeing how Gagadaily feels about this especially divisive album ten years on, & to get over 150 votes was amazing – this has been one of Gagadaily’s biggest megarates EVER! Special thanks to the people who left comments – they’re a brilliant historical record of how GGD felt about ARTPOP in 2023, & I’ll post the FULL version of everyone’s comments as my next post. & a massive thanks to Madeon for contributing a special message!

I hope you’ve enjoyed taking this trip down memory lane with me. & if you were here for the ceremony, thanks for sticking around!

Until the next time!
Cruelty :pawsup:

lady-gaga-artrave.gif

• YAAAS 4
  • Love 26

TheSine

Applause might have won, but we never lose. Complain to us during the ARTPOP watchparty happening at 7PM CST!

🖤Yiiking Out🖤
  • Love 3