opinion

CEREMONY | artRATE: the ARTPOP rate

Cruelty

Featured Posts

KubaM316
1 minute ago, Cruelty said:

09Gypsy.gif

9 GYPSY – average 7.90

The highs: 11 x 6 [ @Batwings @Ultimecia @androiduser @jillianwoj @highongaga @Nite]

The lows: 1 x 2 [ @TMM90 @bionic]

14com.png

Whilst I’m not convinced that ‘I Wanna Be With You’ was written about Gaga’s Little Monsters, ‘Gypsy’ is definitely for us. Written for Born This Way & then reshaped for ARTPOP, the song espouses the beautiful message that “I don’t wanna be alone forever, but I can be tonight”, optimistically suggesting a sense of gradual spiritual recovery after the nadir of ‘Dope’. Don’t get me wrong, it’s definitely also for Taylor Kinney, but I suppose for a couple of years Taylor was sharing Gaga with all of us. & that’s the point of ‘Gypsy’ – when Gaga misses Taylor, she has us to keep her company, & when she misses us, she has Taylor. ‘Gypsy’ is the story of Gaga realising she has the best support network in the world, & in turn accepting her identity as a wanderer.

If ‘Gypsy’ was made for us, it was a wonderful present. The thunderous instrumental sounds like Springsteen produced by Avicii, as Gaga plants her feet on the ‘road to nowhere’ & blazes a trail through the night. Although it received a euphoric live outing—as the show closer for the artRAVE tour—‘Gypsy’ wasn’t received too favourably outside of the fanbase; it’s listed on a hype sticker as ARTPOP’s third single, but US radio stations didn’t respond favourably to test plays. These days, the song is also doomed by its unfortunate title.

& yet ‘Gypsy’ still holds a special place in many of our hearts. Although the production is rooted firmly in early-2010s EDM, the piece is lifted by the idiosyncratic lyrics. It’s refreshing to hear a musical behemoth speaking openly about how isolating life can be as a top-level popstar on tour, & it’s comforting to genuinely feel that Gaga’s loneliness was alleviated by meeting new fans every day & feeling welcomed by every country she visited. The global rundown of Gaga’s touring haunts (“Russia, UK, Paris, I’m Italian, Asian”) also feels like a subtle, savvy shaping of Gaga’s legacy as a live artist. A euphoric coda to the journey of ARTPOP (before the encore of ‘Applause’), the live anthem ‘Gypsy’ lands comfortably in Gagadaily’s ARTPOP top 10.

Comments:

Reveal hidden contents

@Bronco I’ve gone from not caring for this song to essentially having it as a personal anthem.

@Lukasson Good song, favourite tour finale yet.

@Born This Way I think my most unpopular Gaga opinion is that I don’t like Gypsy.

@HIMe Hair’s ugly stepsister

@Ultimecia One of the greatest Gaga songs of all time.

@27monster27 The only song to sit inside the late 2013/early 2014 EDM trend due to its sound, the Avicii-esque anthem recounts Lady Gagas love of being on the road to see her fans. With loving lyrics she expresses how she feels like a traveler as she (at the time) had no actual home. In spite of this Lady Gaga says how she loves this life over the hopeful instrumental.

@allanrocks Love it and I live for it.

@Head Empty This is the wrong side of camp for me. The acoustic version is beautiful though.

@Juliandante I really don't like it.

@ImMatt A strong song, makes me dream of the tour (which I didn't attend 😱)

@JazzGa Beautiful song and production, great chord progression! This one begs to be banged out on the piano. The outro is really fun to sing as well! Also in major need of a lyrical update... "I'm i'm i'm i'm i'm i'm a nomad nomad nomad I'm" would be alright or maybe "i'm i'm i'm a wand'rer wand'rer wand'rer i'm"

@Gangie Beautiful and nostalgic

@huttont I want to love this song so much but the slur and the attachment to Taylor Kinney makes that difficult. Although, I always get misty when she lists all the countries and sings “be my home just for the day”

@Joshua81 I don't get why everyone likes this, it's meh to me.

@Bowman Yeah it's fun, it was the best one live at the artrave 

@Tobcho She did it, kids. She did what she started with several tracks on Born This Way, marrying rock to solid hook to EDM and mining the story down to its core. I lived this song for years. She sat at the piano in London and right before the chorus, she looked at me and my partner at the time. I carry this moment as a badge to this day. 

61va.gif

BAAABYYYY FOR LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFFEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• YAAAS 2

Poltergeist
1 minute ago, Cruelty said:

09Gypsy.gif

9 GYPSY – average 7.90

The highs: 11 x 6 [ @Batwings @Ultimecia @androiduser @jillianwoj @highongaga @Nite]

14com.png

Whilst I’m not convinced that ‘I Wanna Be With You’ was written about Gaga’s Little Monsters, ‘Gypsy’ is definitely for us. Written for Born This Way & then reshaped for ARTPOP, the song espouses the beautiful message that “I don’t wanna be alone forever, but I can be tonight”, optimistically suggesting a sense of gradual spiritual recovery after the nadir of ‘Dope’. Don’t get me wrong, it’s definitely also for Taylor Kinney, but I suppose for a couple of years Taylor was sharing Gaga with all of us. & that’s the point of ‘Gypsy’ – when Gaga misses Taylor, she has us to keep her company, & when she misses us, she has Taylor. ‘Gypsy’ is the story of Gaga realising she has the best support network in the world, & in turn accepting her identity as a wanderer.

If ‘Gypsy’ was made for us, it was a wonderful present. The thunderous instrumental sounds like Springsteen produced by Avicii, as Gaga plants her feet on the ‘road to nowhere’ & blazes a trail through the night. Although it received a euphoric live outing—as the show closer for the artRAVE tour—‘Gypsy’ wasn’t received too favourably outside of the fanbase; it’s listed on a hype sticker as ARTPOP’s third single, but US radio stations didn’t respond favourably to test plays. These days, the song is also doomed by its unfortunate title.

& yet ‘Gypsy’ still holds a special place in many of our hearts. Although the production is rooted firmly in early-2010s EDM, the piece is lifted by the idiosyncratic lyrics. It’s refreshing to hear a musical behemoth speaking openly about how isolating life can be as a top-level popstar on tour, & it’s comforting to genuinely feel that Gaga’s loneliness was alleviated by meeting new fans every day & feeling welcomed by every country she visited. The global rundown of Gaga’s touring haunts (“Russia, UK, Paris, I’m Italian, Asian”) also feels like a subtle, savvy shaping of Gaga’s legacy as a live artist. A euphoric coda to the journey of ARTPOP (before the encore of ‘Applause’), the live anthem ‘Gypsy’ lands comfortably in Gagadaily’s ARTPOP top 10.

Comments:

Reveal hidden contents

@Bronco I’ve gone from not caring for this song to essentially having it as a personal anthem.

@Born This Way I think my most unpopular Gaga opinion is that I don’t like Gypsy.

@27monster27 The only song to sit inside the late 2013/early 2014 EDM trend due to its sound, the Avicii-esque anthem recounts Lady Gagas love of being on the road to see her fans. With loving lyrics she expresses how she feels like a traveler as she (at the time) had no actual home. In spite of this Lady Gaga says how she loves this life over the hopeful instrumental.

@Head Empty This is the wrong side of camp for me. The acoustic version is beautiful though.

@JazzGa Beautiful song and production, great chord progression! This one begs to be banged out on the piano. The outro is really fun to sing as well! Also in major need of a lyrical update... "I'm i'm i'm i'm i'm i'm a nomad nomad nomad I'm" would be alright or maybe "i'm i'm i'm a wand'rer wand'rer wand'rer i'm"

@huttont I want to love this song so much but the slur and the attachment to Taylor Kinney makes that difficult. Although, I always get misty when she lists all the countries and sings “be my home just for the day”

@Tobcho She did it, kids. She did what she started with several tracks on Born This Way, marrying rock to solid hook to EDM and mining the story down to its core. I lived this song for years. She sat at the piano in London and right before the chorus, she looked at me and my partner at the time. I carry this moment as a badge to this day. 

61va.gif

evil-defeated.gif

Not really evil though, but it's definitely 2nd half of the tierlist for me

I've been getting messages from my deep waters
  • Thanks 2

Ophelia

byeee Gypsy at the artRAVE was live changing, i thought its ugly and european before too

Edited by Ophelia
...has anybody seen my disco stick?
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Cruelty said:

09Gypsy.gif

9 GYPSY – average 7.90

14com.png

Comments:

Reveal hidden contents

61va.gif

This song is so romantic it just gets to me :traumatica: (in a good way)

Cruelty

08MJH.gif

8 MARY JANE HOLLAND – average 7.93

The highs: 11 x 13 [ @Rhiannon @Noir @Little Monstera @Onlygaga @GagaSkeletonWay @ImMatt @maymay @jackjackjackjack13 @HausofGabo @bionic @asfittingasmcqueen @Ophelia @radioactive]

The lows: 2 x 5 [ @Lukasson @HIMe @evgenigerm2 @Joshua81 @Agunimon]

12com.png

Introducing, ladies & gentlemen
 Mary Jane Holland! ARTPOP’s unabashed weed anthem finishes in a respectable eighth place. Loud & hedonistic, the song represents a paradigm of the ARTPOP formula. Over a tumult of belching electronica courtesy of French EDM wunderkind Madeon, Gaga plays dress-up as the titular ‘Lady of the ‘Dam’, her incognito weed-smoking alter-ego, confessing “I think that I could be fine, if I could be Mary Jane Holland tonight”. She found immense solace & pleasure in marijuana in 2012, commenting “it really became a source of comfort for me that I could smoke & take something that would
 help really bring me down from the pressures of being a star”.

However, there’s something dark & quite uncomfortable beating at the heart of ‘Mary Jane Holland’. Although the song is superficially about cannabis, it’s much more about identity & losing yourself as you’re battered by the pressures of life. Gaga describes this song as being about “dying your hair brown & being able to go out with nobody recognizing you”, but that’s a tragic comment about the claustrophobic, intense life she led – & with Gaga acknowledging that “whenever I smoke, I really forget that I’m famous”, Mary Jane becomes understandable as a kind of psychological crutch, a necessary means of escaping a deleterious & destructive way of life. ARTPOP producer Nick Monson said “Gaga is just like the rest of us. In those darker types of times, you dive into the music, which is totally what she did. & I think it comes across”. As you listen to the thrill-ride of ‘Mary Jane Holland’, there’s an inevitable sense that those ‘darker types of times’ can’t be held at bay forever – but for now, all you can do is ignite the flame & meet Mary Jane in Holland tonight.

Comments:

Spoiler

@Poltergeist Poppy and chill at the same time, I really enjoy her vocals here, especially that rockish moment during the bridge!

@Lukasson It‘s a skip. 

@Werewolves Wanted These abnormalities are corrupting the minds and the hearts of our children

@Ultimecia The song loses steam (hah!) with its post-choruses.

@27monster27 Not just a song about Mary Jane, Lady Gaga reveals that she enjoyed flying under that radar and avoiding celebrity life while high in Amsterdam. The alter-ego "Mary Jane Holland" sings over aggressive and all-encompassing synths.

@Head Empty I am 100% biased because I'm Dutch, but her bringing this song back for ArtRave in Amsterdam was one of my favorite memories. It's the perfect balance of camp, grit and pop.

@Juliandante This used to be one of my favourites from this album when it was released.

@JazzGa The bridge is so OTT. It's so much fun to belt at the top of your lungs with no one else around lol. Kinda has Heavy Metal Lover energy

@huttont Part of my ARTPOP trifecta. I love the demos and the layered vocals. An instant favorite

@Joshua81 Too psychedelic, kills my brain cells

@Bowman A really unique and cool song but it's kinda aged like milk, as I've got older I kinda cringe when I listen to it, it used to be my fav from ARTPOP

@TwistedTeeth Like a glass of port wine, Mary Jane Holland only gets better year after year.

@dimitristhe I can’t describe how much I love this song. Props to anyone who made that instrumental, cause is one of Gaga’s best. 

@TXNNXTUS I feel the synths, and the vocals give the listener a sense of being under the influence, and makes it feel like your truly getting high with Gaga

@Scarlet Bitch Drug dealer anthem

@Tobcho Ah if only the production wasn't annoying this could be it for me. High concept, executed with imagination and carried with equal parts humor and emotion.

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 3
  • Shook 3
  • Sad 1