MARRY THE NIGHT ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
society

Baguette Gets UN's World Heritage Status

RAMROD

Featured Posts

RAMROD

The humble baguette — the crunchy ambassador for French baking around the world — is being added to the U.N.’s list of intangible cultural heritage as a cherished tradition to be preserved by humanity.

UNESCO experts gathering in Morocco this week decided that the simple French flute — made only of flour, water, salt, and yeast — deserved United Nations recognition, after France’s culture ministry warned of a “continuous decline” in the number of traditional bakeries, with some 400 closing every year over the past half-century. 

The U.N. cultural agency’s chief, Audrey Azoulay, said the decision honors more than just bread; it recognizes the “savoir-faire of artisanal bakers” and “a daily ritual.”

“It is important that such craft knowledge and social practices can continue to exist in the future,” added Azoulay, a former French culture minister.

The agency defines intangible cultural heritage as “traditions or living expressions inherited from our ancestors and passed on to our descendants.”

Back in France, bakers seemed proud, if unsurprised.

Although it seems like the quintessential French product, the baguette was said to have been invented by Vienna-born baker August Zang in 1839. Zang put in place France’s steam oven, making it possible to produce bread with a brittle crust yet fluffy interior. 

The product’s zenith did not come until the 1920s, with the advent of a French law preventing bakers from working before 4 a.m. The baguette’s long, thin shape meant it could be made more quickly than its stodgy cousins, so it was the only bread that bakers could make in time for breakfast.

https://apnews.com/article/europe-business-france-paris-cultures-af99d89f1aa2bf57a45c1fb96067928d

Oui oui, baguette :flower:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ my anxiety is chronic but our coffee’s iconic (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
  • YAAAS 4
Economy

They are so good :legend:

I've always wanted to try a legitimate authentic one. It must taste so much better

One thing every immigrant from every culture + Canadians all unanimously agree with is that when it comes to food quality Canada leaves much to be desired :neyde:

Guillaume Hamon
2 minutes ago, Economy said:

They are so good :legend:

I've always wanted to try a legitimate authentic one. It must taste so much better

One thing every immigrant from every culture + Canadians all unanimously agree with is that when it comes to food quality Canada leaves much to be desired :neyde:

Come in France and bite one!

And I don't want any little hornster to make it a pervy phrase. :ladyhaha:

• LMAO 1