❤︎ ❤︎ ❤︎
question

Thoughts on the name ERAS TOUR?

Nycboy

Featured Posts

What are your thoughts on the name of Taylor’s Eras Tour?

I don’t mean any disrespect and I really like Taylor, but I do enjoy critiquing the music industry so here are my 2 cents.

A part of me feels like Taylor is leaning into something that’s not really herself, appropriating LBGT language, and quite honestly marketing herself using a concept that is owed to Gaga.

First of all, Taylor isn’t really known for her ERAS the way other pop girls tend to change everything about them, from visuals to sound to fashion, from one album to the next. Sonically, Taylor gradually progressed from country to pop with a folk detour. Her fashion and look is for the most part cohesive. She’s not known for dramatic reinventions. I could look at a photo of Taylor from any year and couldn’t tell you what “era” she was in. The same could never be said about Gaga. Who is known for dramatic reinventions? Obviously Madonna, but as Taylor’s contemporary… it really is Gaga. In my lifetime, Gaga is the artist who taught me what an era really was - seeing her transform between albums in every way possible, as an immersive experience. I even believe Gaga is the reason fans started using the word ERA (!!!) but someone needs to fact check that lol. I’m sorry, but when I look at Taylor’s career, I see a talented and popular artist, but I really don’t see an “era” artist. To me, she releases albums but does not create eras. And her closest thing to an “era” was probably folklore since it was very distinct artistically. For that reason, it kind of gives me a pit in my stomach when I think of Taylor capitalizing on this concept like “damn that really was Gaga’s idea. Taylor is profiting off the concept of ERAS, something she doesn’t even commit to in her art form.”

In addition, something about a straight white cis person using the term ERAS for marketing impact makes me feel uneasy, and maybe that’s just me. I feel like since this word is so closely connected to Gaga and her fan base, it really does feel like a queer term (“I’m entering my Joanne era” “I’m in my ARTPOP era” etc). These kind of sentences are used in internet memes, usually for a gay audience, and usually connected in some way to Gaga. It’s about transformation, it’s about shedding your former self, it’s about hiding within an alter ego, it’s about reclaiming confidence — and it’s very queer. 

On top of all of that, I find the name Eras Tour just flat out boring and lazy. It’s sooo non-descriptive. Doesn’t it kind of sound like “Albums tour”? It sounds like a placeholder title. I think she could have found a word that is more descriptive of her art to convey the same meaning. 

Anderson123

I think you're thinking this too much. She has enough albums to call it that way and it's not actually a pop girls thing. Artists like David Bowie had been using the "era" concept for their album cycles decades ago.

14 minutes ago, Nycboy said:

In addition, something about a straight white cis person using the term ERAS for marketing impact makes me feel uneasy, and maybe that’s just me. I feel like since this word is so closely connected to Gaga and her fan base, it really does feel like a queer term (“I’m entering my Joanne era” “I’m in my ARTPOP era” etc). These kind of sentences are used in internet memes, usually for a gay audience, and usually connected in some way to Gaga. It’s about transformation, it’s about shedding your former self, it’s about hiding within an alter ego, it’s about reclaiming confidence — and it’s very queer. 

i'm sorry but the catchphrase 'in my REPUTATION era' is actually a thing, waaaaaaay more used (or actually used) than 'in my joanne era' or 'in my ARTPOP era' 

Gaga didn't invent LGTQ+ language... And Taylor has enough albums and years in the business to call the tour that way, especially when we have no clue what the tour is gonna be like. I think it's a great name :iamfair:

Pennywise

It’s a boring name, but that essay is unnecessary and you are wrong :vegas:

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE

Sneaky Oliver

It’s kinda dumb to me. Every tour is an “eras tour” because every pop artist perform their songs from various eras. I know she’s highlighting that this is not Midnights tour as it’s also Lovers Folklores and Evermores but she could find a more creative name. I loved the name Lover Fest. 

In the land of gods and monsters, I was an angel living in the Garden Of Eden

NichuuB
19 minutes ago, Dojo said:

i'm sorry but the catchphrase 'in my REPUTATION era' is actually a thing, waaaaaaay more used (or actually used) than 'in my joanne era' or 'in my ARTPOP era' 

the right term is "in my rePUTAtion era" actually

Property of @Whale

The Album Cycles Tour rolls of the tongue much easier /s

I think it‘s a fine name, the word Era is fine and the it‘s not a new concept (as you said) and if you think about it, has been used for actors when they were signed under certain movie studios since at least the 50s / 60s. 

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡

1 minute ago, NicoB said:

the right term is "in my rePUTAtion era" actually

it's actually all in lower case according to Tayloo but i do get the hidden message :ally:

24 minutes ago, Dojo said:

Ok very fair point lol

Oriane

To me it's the name itself that sounds weird. Say you're revisiting past eras, going through these different cycle, i a nice catchy way and it would be better. But just "eras" doesn't mean anything. That's like calling it "songs".

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

JohnnyVersace

Taylor is literally known for her eras lol. She's changed up the aesthetic, sound and fashion for each:

Spoiler

taylor_swift_eras_png__1_by_georgiig_de9

Is it as dramatic as Gaga's? No. But I'd argue she has varied her eras more than other pop girls like Ariana Grande, Rihanna, Adele, etc. Each of Taylor's era has included huge marketing, appearances, performances, big budget videos, etc. etc. that distinguish them from one another, all while varying the sound and look.

Plus, it's called the Eras tour because she's literally touring FOUR new eras since the Reputation Tour. That's huge.

Archived