💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Warner Bros. doesn’t plan to return to a movie release model of the past

JusKeepBreathin

Featured Posts

JusKeepBreathin

HBO Max will release 10 Warner Bros. films straight-to-streaming in 2022

'After deciding to release its full slate of 2021 Warner Bros. films on HBO Max under a hybrid streaming and theatrical model, it appears WarnerMedia is prepared to continue using its Warner Bros. assets to lure subscribers to the service in 2022.

WarnerMedia chief Jason Kilar expressly stated that the company does not plan to return to a film release strategy of the past.

“I certainly don’t anticipate us going back to the way the world was in 2015 or ’16 or ’17, where windows were quite lengthy between theatrical and home exhibition, whether it was an a la carte transaction or something else,” Kilar said. As previously announced earlier this year when Warner Bros. reached a multi-year agreement with Cineworld for 2021 and 2022 film exhibition, Kilar confirmed that theatrical windows for “a portion of our slate” would be 45 days.'

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/7/23/22590727/hbo-max-warner-bros-films-hbo-max-2022

I think this is great. I think if people would rather consume the movie at home then they have that opportunity to do so. I think it might also prompt movie theatres to give more though to the movie going experience. Because the experience itself will be the draw instead of a tent pole movie. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jill

Didn't they announce they would return to the old model in 2022, especially if Discovery buys them? What is this mess.

This was an official message from the Office of the First Lady.

Chlorine Sevigny

I’m here for this. It’s a huge plus to having HBO max, I love it. 

HIM820

This isn’t that surprising considering movie theaters haven’t bounced back yet. HBOMax did really well during the pandemic and I think they want to ride that wave.

elijahfan
34 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

I think it might also prompt movie theatres to give more though to the movie going experience. Because the experience itself will be the draw instead of a tent pole movie.

What more do you expect them to give? Movie theaters already look like freaking malls nowadays. I'm sorry, but some things are meant to be seen on a big screen. If big corporations aren't willing to fight for cinema, cinema is going to die, and Covid might have been the last straw. Nothing to be happy about, tbh.

Reality

That's kind of shoking to be honest. I was surprised when they did the hybrid release for all of 2021, but all of 2022 now? That's kinda crazy.

WB movies have done pretty good this year, both at the box office and on HBO Max, so I can understand why they're doing it, but I wonder what this means for the future of the entertainment industry moving forward. The real test will be if Disney does even more premier access movies.

🃏🖤👹

littlepotter

Maybe this can force movie theaters to take measures to ensure they survive, like for example not charging a kidney for popcorn and a soda

chaeri pls

chromaticainmyhead

tbh I am very scared for movie theatres 

fan-tas-tique, chic, freak, slaaaay

Meredith Grey
1 minute ago, littlepotter said:

Maybe this can force movie theaters to take measures to ensure they survive, like for example not charging a kidney for popcorn and a soda

It might have the exact opposite effect because theatres make most of their money from the concession stand. But I hope theatres find a way to survive the way this is changing because I love the experience of going to the movies. 

littlepotter
4 minutes ago, Meredith Grey said:

It might have the exact opposite effect because theatres make most of their money from the concession stand. But I hope theatres find a way to survive the way this is changing because I love the experience of going to the movies. 

But barely anyone would bother. I mean, they should have figured out by now that everyone sneaks in their own snacks. If they priced their snacks more fairly people would just buy from them instead of the grocery shop next door

chaeri pls

Meredith Grey
13 minutes ago, littlepotter said:

But barely anyone would bother. I mean, they should have figured out by now that everyone sneaks in their own snacks. If they priced their snacks more fairly people would just buy from them instead of the grocery shop next door

I do the same thing tbh I just bring in Taco Bell. They need to fix their money-making model somehow to actually want people to spend money there. Now that tickets are 15 dollars  a piece, Idk how anyone buys popcorn AND drinks there

MadreMonster

I honestly love it - sometimes it takes a lot of energy for me to do things as simple as going to the movies so it’s nice to know I can watch from home!

Archived