💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Elvis Costello is fine with Olivia Rodrigo copying his guitar riff

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Teletubby

Elvis Costello has defended pop star Olivia Rodrigo after she was accused of lifting one of his guitar riffs.

Brutal, a track on Rodrigo's number one album, is based around a punky chord sequence that also featured in Costello's 1978 hit Pump It Up. source

Twitter user noticed Rodrigo's song was "pretty much a direct lift",
Elvis Costello tweeted "This is fine by me. "It's how rock & roll works," he wrote. "You take the broken pieces of another thrill and make a brand new toy."

You can compare the Costello and Olivia tracks below:
The guitar riff first appears at 15 seconds in Pump It Up and 14 seconds into Brutal:

I'm not Po the ho

WhereIsLG7
13 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

Both sound dated and forgettable so… :vegas:

Agree :vegas:

Noah

That‘s a very mature thing to do. Tho, even if he went to court I wouldn‘t have blamed him - but then again, can anyone really own a certain riff and do we even think Olivia heard a Song that came out like 25 years before she was even born?

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡

Teletubby
Just now, Noah said:

do we even think Olivia heard a Song that came out like 25 years before she was even born?

she may not have heard but her team ...

I'm not Po the ho

Noah
1 minute ago, Lady Ava Gaga Max said:

she may not have heard but her team ...

She produced the Album in a very short amount of time with one producer. It‘s not a big production. I‘m guessing Interscope didnt even give her much budget until DL became a success. 

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡

bionic
4 minutes ago, Noah said:

She produced the Album in a very short amount of time with one producer. It‘s not a big production. I‘m guessing Interscope didnt even give her much budget until DL became a success. 

Was she not already the HSMTMTS breakout star at that point

buy bionic

CyanLights
30 minutes ago, Noah said:

That‘s a very mature thing to do. Tho, even if he went to court I wouldn‘t have blamed him - but then again, can anyone really own a certain riff and do we even think Olivia heard a Song that came out like 25 years before she was even born?

Someone could own specific melodies and riffs if they are distinct enough 

John Wayne

is it just me or are people ripping apart olivia lately? Let the girl breathe

Archived