politics

Biden grants Temporary Protected Status to Venezuelans

Morphine Prince
Posted (edited)

Edited by Morphine Prince
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

weed

omg 320k refugees (or just immigrants?) from Venezuela alone? I didn't know it was that massive in scale. Hopefully more help in the future.

ManuelColon
4 minutes ago, weed said:

omg 320k refugees (or just immigrants?) from Venezuela alone? I didn't know it was that massive in scale. Hopefully more help in the future.

Well, around the world there must already be millions, and just the ones that have left since 2015.

ItWasntLaauv

Didn’t he say he’d stop ALL senseless deportations for the first 100 days? We should be holding him accountable.

• Like 1

PartySick
1 minute ago, ItWasntLaauv said:

Didn’t he say he’d stop ALL senseless deportations for the first 100 days? We should be holding him accountable.

I swear Biden could actually cure cancer and some of y'all will criticize him for not doing it sooner

🧡No matter what you do, I'm still gonna be here🧡
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 5

ItWasntLaauv
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PartySick said:

I swear Biden could actually cure cancer and some of y'all will criticize him for not doing it sooner

He said what he said... I mean... do you expect for us to just not say anything? He rode on a lot of promises that he said would be “immediate”. Just keeping the pressure on, that’s all. Trying to belittle me for having a backbone is interesting.

Edited by ItWasntLaauv
  • Like 5

uo111
14 minutes ago, ItWasntLaauv said:

Post the link henny.

ItWasntLaauv
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, uo111 said:

Post the link henny.

:haroon:

Also not saying he hasn’t done anything good, just keeping the pressure on because he earned my vote.

Another also, this is just a shady TikTok that made me laugh, it’s not that deep.

Here’s some extra info on what the ACLU had to say about the Biden administration in terms of the 100 day deportation halt not coming to fruition and giving ICE more discretion in how they separate families.

https://www.aclu.org/press-releases/aclu-response-dhs-memo-enforcement-and-removals

Edited by ItWasntLaauv
  • LMAO 1

gabeoz
27 minutes ago, ItWasntLaauv said:

He tried to stop all deportations but it's in the courts now, a federal judge blocked it after being sued by the state of Texas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ItWasntLaauv
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, gabeoz said:

He tried to stop all deportations but it's in the courts now, a federal judge blocked it after being sued by the state of Texas.

That I didn’t know, thank you for the info!! I hope his admin continues to fight that. :heart:

I am still very interested in his ICE decisions though that the ACLU brought up. I feel like no one’s talking about that which is odd, since it was one of the main talking points during the 45 era.

Edited by ItWasntLaauv

Butters Stotch
Posted (edited)

I'm so glad he did this. I am myself a Venezuelan immigrant in Argentina, and honestly being able to have a legal status is invaluable. I have friends living in the US and they are so happy right now. I'm happy too for them.

5 hours ago, weed said:

There is and estimate of 6 Million Venezuelan immigrants all around the world, I'm not surprised 320k are in the US, considering the US gives protection to those who are forced to leave their countries for political reasons.

Also, I read somewhere that there was a discussion on international organizations to change the term to refugees, given the amount of people leaving the country and the reasons behind it. Though, I think it hasn't been decided yet. Not that I know, at least.

Edited by Butters Stotch
FIND YOUR FREEDOM IN THE MUSIC
  • Thanks 1

Bonkers

3.3 million is 1% of USA so 320,000 is less than 1 in 1000.  

And since they're all hot, I think it's fine. :vegas:

Remember to like and subscribe, and click on the bell icon to get the latest updates

Bonkers
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ItWasntLaauv said:

:haroon:

Also not saying he hasn’t done anything good, just keeping the pressure on because he earned my vote.

Another also, this is just a shady TikTok that made me laugh, it’s not that deep.

Here’s some extra info on what the ACLU had to say about the Biden administration in terms of the 100 day deportation halt not coming to fruition and giving ICE more discretion in how they separate families.

https://www.aclu.org/press-releases/aclu-response-dhs-memo-enforcement-and-removals

I *KNOW* you have good intentions, and it's good to pay attention and follow.  But in my opinion after 4 years of Trump, I really think democrats/progressives need to stick together and focus on our wins and our direction.

the $2000 stimulus checks is accurate.  The amount always included the $600 already approved.  This was bumping up to $2000, and that's what it always was.

"Immediately" always meant as fast as congress could approve it. (how else could it get done?  You can't pass stimulus via executive order, it's not how things are funded in the United States).   How could it have been done faster?  People "keeping the pressure on"  wanted to fight for the minimum wage increase to be in the bill.

Not including the minimum wage increase in the covid bill is not abandoning the $15 minimum wage.  Bernie himself wasn't able to get the 50 necessary senators and has himself said the fight is *definitely* not over.  They could have fought to force it in the covid bill, but that would have almost definitely meant a major delay in the 1.9 trillion covid relief package.

People can be mad at Manchin, but *why* are we counting on a senator for the cousin-f*ckingest state in the country, West Virginia for our majority?  That is once in a generation fluke of a Senate seat, and without it, Mitch McConnell would be running the show.

I can't speak to the 100 day deportation deal, but it seems to me he was referring to specific groups with cases that could be appealed and protected by new laws and arrangements.  I haven't followed it as closely as I should to be commenting. But it stands to reason that you can't halt 100% of deportations as there are egregious abuses that exist.

These shady videos are really for people who aren't closely following in an attempt to rain on 'the establishment' but really, for the most part, the promises are being kept. Nothing is going to be perfect, but I think it's important to support the implementation of promises as fast as can be done in reality.  Sitting on the sidelines bitching because things that aren't possible in the current reality aren't happening as fast as they'd like are really not helping anybody.  

Shitting all over the progress of "the establishment" and fighting against dems is, in my opinion, the reason we don't have more than 50 dem senators.  

Edited by Bonkers
Remember to like and subscribe, and click on the bell icon to get the latest updates
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Lion Heart
Posted (edited)

320K? That's quite a ton.

Good for them 

Edited by Lion Heart
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

ItWasntLaauv
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bonkers said:

the $2000 stimulus checks is accurate.  The amount always included the $600 already approved.  This was bumping up to $2000, and that's what it always was.

"Immediately" always meant as fast as congress could approve it. (how else could it get done?  You can't pass stimulus via executive order, it's not how things are funded in the United States).   How could it have been done faster?  People "keeping the pressure on"  wanted to fight for the minimum wage increase to be in the bill.

Not including the minimum wage increase in the covid bill is not abandoning the $15 minimum wage.  Bernie himself wasn't able to get the 50 necessary senators and has himself said the fight is *definitely* not over.  They could have fought to force it in the covid bill, but that would have almost definitely meant a major delay in the 1.9 trillion covid relief package.

People can be mad at Manchin, but *why* are we counting on a senator for the cousin-f*ckingest state in the country, West Virginia for our majority?  That is once in a generation fluke of a Senate seat, and without it, Mitch McConnell would be running the show.

I can't speak to the 100 day deportation deal, but it seems to me he was referring to specific groups with cases that could be appealed and protected by new laws and arrangements.  I haven't followed it as closely as I should to be commenting. But it stands to reason that you can't halt 100% of deportations as there are egregious abuses that exist.

These shady videos are really for people who aren't closely following in an attempt to rain on 'the establishment' but really, for the most part, the promises are being kept. Nothing is going to be perfect, but I think it's important to support the implementation of promises as fast as can be done in reality.  Sitting on the sidelines bitching because things that aren't possible in the current reality aren't happening as fast as they'd like are really not helping anybody.  

Shitting all over the progress of "the establishment" and fighting against dems is, in my opinion, the reason we don't have more than 50 dem senators.  

One could argue that the 2000 dollars was delivered and I realize that’s not 100% Joe’s responsibility. It honestly took a while though, and Joe saying “immediately” the way he did makes it out like he had the power to just do it. It plays with people’s feelings who don’t know all the steps in order to get that kind of stuff passed. He should’ve said we’ll get it out as quick as possible, saying “immediately” manipulates sets up expectations that ultimately can’t be met, which is why people are upset, and understandably so.

The 15 dollar wage raise, I still have hope for too. I want to believe that the Biden admin wants to push that through. Seeing Dems who’ve said that in the past and then voted to not raise it (looking at you Sinema and other dems) make me skeptical about their want to get it through or if it’s just lip service. I hope you understand where I’m coming from with that sentiment.

I think we’re trying to count on a Dem because they’re on “our team” at the end of the day. Why call him a dem if he’s just gonna vote really conservatively constantly.

I understand people who commit felonies and terrible crimes being deported completely and I wouldn’t expect the Biden admin to halt those. But for the rest he did promise no deportations for the first 100 days. It all comes back to his language and how he rode on that hard during his campaign. It’s emotionally manipulative and is over promising, so when the opposite thing happens whether it’s in his control or not, people are again, going to be understandably upset because they feel like they’ve been bamboozled.

I recognize that things aren’t going to be perfect, I really do. I know that there’s going to be obstacles, I think people’s frustration mostly comes from the way he promised many things to just get done impossibly fast. If he would’ve been more honest to his voters about the expectations of what could be done, I don’t think this frustration would be here. I’ve been following what’s been going on very closely, and I do agree that there has been some good that’s been done, but I’m not going to turn a blind eye to the things that are more rocky. The shady videos are literally just taking his own words and reinforcing them, they are silly, but in my opinion, also help in just keeping people cognizant.

I don’t appreciate calling people critiquing the admin and my critiques “b*tching”. Really disrespectful since we are on the same team and I didn’t use that kind of language against you or anyone. A lot of people just want this to go as nicely as possible, so when we see a slip, we’re gonna be quick to put a spotlight on it so it can be addressed and fixed.

Yes, I think it’s great to celebrate progress, but I think it also should be expected that we keep the heat on, progress isn’t going to be made if the people don’t keep pushing our politicians to keep reaching higher to serve the people well. That’s how anything gets done, just look at Gaga and how she was putting the heat on Obama for Dont Ask, Don’t Tell, MLK sticking it to the government when it came to unequal treatment of POC, and people fighting for any civil rights/ethical issues in this country.

Edited by ItWasntLaauv
  • Like 1