Sign in to follow this  
politics

Biden limits stimulus eligibility after deal with moderate Dems

Morphine Prince

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden and Democrats agreed Wednesday to tighten the upper income limits at which people could qualify for stimulus checks, a Democratic official said, a major concession to moderates as party leaders prepared to move their $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief bill through the Senate.

The COVID-19 relief measure Senate Democrats planned to unveil will also retain the $400 weekly emergency jobless benefits that were included in a House-approved version of the legislation, the official said. 

The official spoke on condition of anonymity to describe internal Democratic conversations. 

As part of Democrats’ legislative thrust against the pandemic and resulting economic slowdown, individuals earning up to $75,000 — and couples up to $150,000 — would get $1,400 checks per person.

The version the House approved last Saturday would gradually phase down those amounts and disappear completely for individuals making $100,000 and couples earning $200,000.

But under Wednesday’s agreement, those checks would end for individuals making $80,000 and couples earning $160,000, the official said.

But Biden and party leaders stood firm and will retain the $400 weekly emergency jobless benefits. Moderates want to trim those payments to $300 per week.

• Shook 2
  • Sad 7

bionic

Not Biden snatching from his voters before he’s given them a bone :saladga:

buy bionic
  • Like 3

FudgeyBear

Good, that’s fiscally responsible. When we got our first checks I wondered how it made sense to give money to you rich people who haven’t been affected. There should be a cap on it.

• Like 7
  • LMAO 3
  • Thanks 9

Snorlax

Isn't that what the income threshold always was?

• Like 2

Galactic Mess

It makes sense in theory, but we'll have to see how much goes to each level of income below 80,000 before we judge this.

HuffsAhoy

So much for those "out the door" $2,000 checks. The Democrats continue to prove they are just as useless and spineless as the Republicans. I hope they are ready to crash in burn in '22 and '24 :madge:

• Like 11
  • LMAO 1
  • Sad 2

MJHolland

Great

Shipper

Good. Any single person earning 75k a year dont deserve 1.4k extra for necessities anyway. Give it to poorer people who truly needs it to eat and live. 

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕
  • Like 6
  • LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 5

Morphine Prince
19 minutes ago, FudgeyBear said:

Good, that’s fiscally responsible. When we got our first checks I wondered how it made sense to give money to you rich people who haven’t been affected. There should be a cap on it.

When we got our first checks, rich people didn’t get stimulus checks so you couldn’t have wondered this. 

• Thanks 8

Eighteen

sounds reasonable. though perhaps some exceptions for, say, a single parent with 4 kids--i feel like they'd need the extra money, depending on where they live. 

Debithius
6 minutes ago, Shipper said:

Good. Any single person earning 75k a year dont deserve 1.4k extra for necessities anyway. Give it to poorer people who truly needs it to eat and live. 

They don't deserve it? They don't need it, most of them probably, but who are you to say what they deserve or not lol

• Like 1

whipopotamus

I probably earn like 40k a year and even I don't need it.  It's called

*~*~*Savings*~*~*

I'll take it though lol

This is good imo

• Like 2
  • LMAO 1

skaxboy

Are these earnings based off of their 2019 earning?

There are ppl who earned $100k in 2019. Then lost their job in 2020 and did not earn anywhere near that amount but still collected unemployment. Seems a little unfair to those in this situation who may be struggling. I was temporarily working a call center for UI in CA and it was a very common story that people lost their cars or had to relocate to a less expensive city/state because it’s not the amount they are used to. Plenty of those folks do not get a tax refund at the end of the year and have to pay a few thousand dollars. 

Im not making an argument for the “rich people” because I don’t think these $75k earners are rich. It’s also because I live in a rather high rent city. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

lady siwa

they better still be giving it out to college dependents :yennefer:

• Like 2

bionic
Posted (edited)

Excluding the people who will be paying more in tax from a benefit of being a taxpayer :saladga:

Edited by bionic
buy bionic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1