🎃 Spotify Playlist 🎃

Sign in to follow this  
society

Major Canadian Airline Cutting Wages In Half

Economy

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/westjet-tells-workers-their-pay-will-be-cut-by-half-due-to-wage-subsidy-changes-1.1499504

Canada's 2nd largest airline West Jet has announced that it will cut wages by about half in an attempt to survive a difficult period of time

Passenger flight demand remains at about 10% of pre-covid levels and restrictions remain tight

In Canada airlines did not get a specific bailout but they were able to access the wage subsity that applied to businesses in all sectors. As the subsity is coming to an end the wage cuts are coming

• LMAO 1
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 1

Economy

The article doesn't specify but I have to assume cutting in half includes hours cut as well not just their hourly wage...

Minimum wage is like $14/h or more in most major Provinces now and I know for a fact the typical airline worker is not making $28/h+

littlepotter

Wow... I really don't know what to make of this, if they really lost 90% of their customers I don't see how I can blame them. I wonder if this means they're paying workers half for the job they usually do, or if they reduced their working hours by half which makes a lot more sense and maybe allows them to look for another part time thing

can you hear me come undone?

KanyeWest

Couldnt they reduce something else other than the wages

Kanye West Is Blonde And Gone

Economy
55 minutes ago, KanyeWest said:

Couldnt they reduce something else other than the wages

Not sure what else u can cut. Obviously they aren't spending money on fuel already if they aren't flying... Mortgage planes and leases is not something u can typically delay (or there's limits), and West Jet isn't one of the publicly traded Corporations with shareholders they can cut dividends to this one is private

Even big companies are not unbreakable in times like this. I'm not sure they had a choice

Economy
3 hours ago, littlepotter said:

Wow... I really don't know what to make of this, if they really lost 90% of their customers I don't see how I can blame them. I wonder if this means they're paying workers half for the job they usually do, or if they reduced their working hours by half which makes a lot more sense and maybe allows them to look for another part time thing

The article doesn't specify but I'm sure hours cut must be part of it. Again minimum wage in most major Provinces is $14/h to $15/h so they couldn't cut it in half unless the typical worker made $28/h which I'm sure they didn't

So part of it must be hour cuts

Economy
1 hour ago, GagaSine said:

I wonder what paycut the CEO took :yennefer:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/calgaryherald.com/business/ceos-of-calgary-companies-taking-pay-cuts-during-covid-19/wcm/874d6770-964f-4800-90d7-1d668e05b901/amp/

50% paycut as well. As did many other Corporations in Canada

It's not that unheard of for companies to cut executive pay as well during crisis despite ppls general perception that they never do

• YAAAS 1

Economy
1 hour ago, Twitter said:

Sheesh.

A lot of Provinces have restrictions on flights coming in from other Provinces so even domestic flights are extremely limited

I don't know if this has changed but in the early summer the small Atlantic Provinces in the East were only letting in passanger flights from eachother where cases were very low and formed an Atlantic bubble, and they didn't allow in flights from other Provinces

There's was an issue of autonomy there since freedom of mobility within the Nation is part of the charter of rights and freedoms and only a Federal clause should of been able to override it but Health matters is largely Provincial so things got kinda blury but in the end most experts agree that in a state of emergency they do have the autonomy to make such a decision

Edited by Economy
  • Like 1

littlepotter
2 hours ago, Economy said:

The article doesn't specify but I'm sure hours cut must be part of it. Again minimum wage in most major Provinces is $14/h to $15/h so they couldn't cut it in half unless the typical worker made $28/h which I'm sure they didn't

So part of it must be hour cuts

I thought airlines pay very well? Of course a hostess will not make minimum wage, its one of the hardest jobs

can you hear me come undone?