🚨 Watch the video for 911 🚨

💌 The September fan envelope is here! 💌
Sign in to follow this  
politics

Protests are taking place in Belarus after the presidential election

21st Century Karen

D6CBE0B0-B419-4A3A-8A24-23D8B93862A0_w10

BELARUS POLICE FIRE TEAR GAS, WATER CANNONS TO DISPERSE ELECTION PROTESTS

 

Belarusian security forces clashed with protesters in Minsk and other cities after an early exit poll gave incumbent President Alyaksandr Lukashenka a commanding lead in the country’s presidential election that the main opposition candidate refused to recognize. Belarusian state TV reported that an official exit poll showed Lukashenka with 79.7 percent of the vote in the August 9 contest. It estimated top challenger Svyatlana Tsikhanouskaya, who had drawn huge crowds to rallies across the country, received 6.8 percent.

Thousands of protesters took to the streets in Minsk, including near the obelisk, where harsh clashes took place. Riot police fired rubber bullets, water cannon and tear gas in several parts of Minsk.

In violence scenes posted on Twitter by the independent news outlet Tut.by, police officers were seen beating protesters with truncheons and a police van is seen knocking down a protester. People can be heard shouting “This is our country” as drivers flashed their car lights and honked their horns.

In Brest, where law enforcement officers used tear gas and stun grenades, protesters gradually dispersed to a crowd of 200-300 from an estimated total of 5,000, according to Novaya Gazeta.

There were initial reports of multiple arrests. The Minsk-based Vyasna (Spring) human rights group said 126 people were detained across the country, including 55 in Minsk. Vyasna also said two of the detainees were injured. Among the people detained were 16 journalists and 40 observers, it said.

 

The next video may be disturbing for some users!

Spoiler

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
21st Century Karen

Please, note: protests are taking place not because people voted for Tsikhanouskaya, the main candidate of opposition, but because they don't want another five years of Lukashenka.

'She's just a housewife, we need someone who knows how to rule the country' — this is actually a BS. 

580C00D9-5186-442D-B2A3-19CD13F89AE4_w65

  • Shook 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
audrey horne

80% again, the riggery using the same result each time. 

I hope those arrested won’t get killed. That dictatorship nightmare has been going on for too long.

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
21st Century Karen
1 minute ago, audrey horne said:

80% again, the riggery using the same result each time. 

I hope those arrested won’t get killed. That dictatorship nightmare has been going on for too long.

Putin had 76,6 % in 2018, so president of Belarus did it even better. :ally: I wonder why not 90 % :ladyhaha:

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
audrey horne
1 hour ago, Trillion Reasons said:

Putin had 76,6 % in 2018, so president of Belarus did it even better. :ally: I wonder why not 90 % :ladyhaha:

Official results from voting polls have appeared on Twitter, showing a large victory for Tsikhanouskaya. Internet is down in the country. Also Lukachenko's family fled to Turkey.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
21st Century Karen
46 minutes ago, audrey horne said:

Official results from voting polls have appeared on Twitter, showing a large victory for Tsikhanouskaya. Internet is down in the country. Also Lukachenko's family fled to Turkey.

As I know, Internet is 'on' now, but social networks still don't work. 

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cherry Blues

Putin is president in Russia for 16 years and not for 20 years (;

A hint: Just because the president changes, it is not a guarantee that the politic and structure behind the scenes changes which can be seen in many countries in west.

Just because a woman changes her make-up everyday it doesn't say that her true feelings and ambitions changes constantly. 

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luc
11 minutes ago, Cherry Blues said:

Putin is president in Russia for 16 years and not for 20 years (;

A hint: Just because the president changes, it is not a guarantee that the politic and structure behind the scenes changes which can be seen in many countries in west.

Just because a woman changes her make-up everyday it doesn't say that her true feelings and ambitions changes constantly. 

There is no way to guarantee such a change. A change in presidency from winning an election can make a huge difference, even if it doesn't make Belarus a democracy like Denmark instantly. Getting to something like what Poland has would already be a huge, huge change. Or even getting to something like what Ukraine has would be a very big step in the right direction. Getting rid of the influence of oligarchs and money in media/law/parliament/administration/police/whatever is not going to be easy, but if even one of these changes in the right direction it's a big positive.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cherry Blues
Posted (edited)
On 8/10/2020 at 1:17 PM, Luc said:

There is no way to guarantee such a change. A change in presidency from winning an election can make a huge difference, even if it doesn't make Belarus a democracy like Denmark instantly. Getting to something like what Poland has would already be a huge, huge change. Or even getting to something like what Ukraine has would be a very big step in the right direction. Getting rid of the influence of oligarchs and money in media/law/parliament/administration/police/whatever is not going to be easy, but if even one of these changes in the right direction it's a big positive.

All the Slavic-speaking Orthodox countries could not be like Denmark because the cultural history is different then the Protestant-Catholic cultures. Btw: I think change will come, look at Chabarowsk in East of Russia or now Belarus. In General in many regions of Russia different young politics are growing. But i don't know if it always will be like west will like it.

When we talk about Ukraine, the Oligarchs are much more powerful than in Russia or Belarus and in Ukraine they even talked about castration for rapist and phedophiles. Sorry its not a role model for Belarus. Such things could not happen in todays Russia.

Most regions of Russia, like Muscovite heartland, the West-Russian North and parts of Siberia are much more liberal than Ukraine. Other regions like North-Caucasus, South Russia/Kuban region or regions in Far East are less liberal than other regions in Russia. From that standpoint as a Orthodox country Russia as a whole is more of a role model for Belarus.

Its all more complicated than we think. Imagine Belarus will be "democratic" like western countries - what will happen ? Imagine Russia will instantly have a democratic goverment. Do you think the society will move in the direction of western standards? What if the conservative regions and people will transform the whole country in their direction? Its better for such countries to transform balanced in their own way....thats my opinion...

Edited by Cherry Blues

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...