Watch the official commercial for Voce Viva

Sign in to follow this  
society

"A protester shot my sister" -2 innocent people dead in Iowa at protest

Lion Heart

:( 

A 22-year-old Iowa woman was fatally shot in the back early Monday morning as she was leaving a protest against police brutality.

Italia Marie Kelly had been protesting with a friend Sunday night over the death of George Floyd when she began to feel uncomfortable at the late-night demonstration held in a Davenport Walmart parking lot, according to the Des Moines Register. As she and her friend got into their vehicle, Kelly was struck by a bullet that went through her shoulder and chest.

Kelly was transported to a hospital, where she was declared dead upon arrival.

"She was here trying to protest peacefully. These idiots just want to take it out of control and bring guns to a situation that don’t need to be here," her mother, Sharon Kelly, told WQAD. This needs to stop. It needs to stop now before another mother has to grieve like I do, and cry over her baby gone. It’s gotta stop."

Kelly was one of two people killed during the protest, which police say was attended by dozens of people who eventually dispersed from the parking lot and into the city, where things turned more violent.

No arrests have been made in the shootings.

"She was always smiling, always laughing. That's why it's so sad that she was taken in such a violent way," Kelly's aunt, Amy Hale, told the Quad-City Times. "That is not Italia. She was the bright, bubbly big personality in the room."

Hale said her niece, who was biracial, had just left work when she went to protest. She was not surprised to hear of her niece taking action for what she felt was right— she had used her social media to speak out against racial inequality.

"Whenever there was an injustice, whenever she felt like someone wasn't being treated fairly, she wasn't one of those that would stand quietly on the sidelines," Hale told the Register. "She was the first one to express her [opinion] and try to right what was going on."

https://people.com/crime/2-people-killed-iowa-protests/

• Sad 43

Cookie Tookie
Posted (edited)

This is absolutely horrible. I feel so bad. How many times do we have to say, violence is NOT the answer. The police are completely and utterly wrong and corrupt. But protestors should not be shooting innocent people in there. No amount of anger can justify this disgusting behavior to kill an innocent person who is fighting FOR YOUR RIGHTS.

Edited by Cookie Tookie
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Altair

"This was the ignorance of every single one of y'all"

Thank you for discrediting the entire movement.

• Like 7
  • LMAO 3
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 4

JudasJustDance

the pain in her voice :( I just this is horrifying .May her family find peace. 

they are not protestors, they’re murderers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Cookie Tookie
Just now, Altair said:

What the actual f**k. Have some sympathy for someone whose sister was literally just murdered. That’s really all you have to say?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 25

SawyersInsanity

one protester doesn't represent the movement. a lot of white supremacists, trump supporters, and anti protest plants are being placed in high pressure situations to instigate violence. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a non protester.

• Like 13
  • LMAO 1
  • Thanks 3

darkchylde

not everyone in the protests is there to support the movement.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

xoxo Craig
Posted (edited)

And THIS is why the 2nd amendment needs repealed. America needs to get rid of guns NOW. 

That video was so so hard to watch :bradley:  she's right. It seems like people are taking advantage of the protests and using it for other means. Of course not ALL the protesters are there to shoot people like that...

Edited by xoxo Craig
End Racism Now
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

HEARTSTOP

This is what happens when you arm your population for no good reason other than "activate them in case foreigners come into our land" (and blood-driven capitalist profit of course).

So sad :(

"Human stupidity knows no bounds." - Some Old Crazy Guy, Probably
  • Thanks 2

SawyersInsanity

how do you think every family member of every black person whos lost someone just this week feels...

• Like 4
  • Sad 7
  • Thanks 3

xoxo Craig
2 minutes ago, JudasJustDance said:

the pain in her voice :( I just this is horrifying .May her family find peace. 

they are not protestors, they’re murderers.

I'm in tears

End Racism Now
  • Like 1

Suuus
1 minute ago, SawyersInsanity said:

how do you think every family member of every black person whos lost someone just this week feels...

Have some sympathy will ya 

• Like 4
  • LMAO 1
  • Thanks 2

littlepotter
5 minutes ago, SawyersInsanity said:

are you being serious right now?!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 13

M Monstre
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Altair said:

10 minutes ago, SawyersInsanity said:

one protester doesn't represent the movement. a lot of white supremacists, trump supporters, and anti protest plants are being placed in high pressure situations to instigate violence. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a non protester.

10 minutes ago, darkchylde said:

not everyone in the protests is there to support the movement.

9 minutes ago, SawyersInsanity said:

Listen. Overall, I agree with you; however, have some sympathy...

She just lost her sister. Her emotions are at an all time high. 

Of course the vast, vast majority of those protesting are peaceful. I would like to think that whoever shot her was not a part of the peaceful protests, but let's have some sympathy in this moment for her. 

This is not the time to be like, "BUT NOT ALL...." Her sister was not a part of the oppressive and racist police force or this almost-authoritarian government. She was a victim.

Edited by M Monstre
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 7