Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
science

Global Warming May Delay Next Major Ice Age By 100,000 Years

Featured Posts

Economy

https://weather.com/news/climate/news/ice-age-climate-change-earth-glacial-interglacial-period

Earth cycles thru 2 very extreme climates over many millions of years

The "Snowball Earth" refers to the coldest most extreme ice ages where a significant portion of the earth is covered in ice where-as in the warmest periods there's no ice coverage at all

We are technically in an ice age (there is still significant ice cover in the poles) but we are not in one of the major ice age moments. We are in what's called interglacial phases where within an ice age there are shorter eras of more and less ice coverage

Some factors that affect long term climate cycles such as changes in earth's orbit around the sun are consistent and predictable while things like greenhouse levels from things such as volcanic activities are less predictable

Once earth is fully thawed (no ice coverage) it is difficult for it to leave that phase because there is no Albeto effect and oceans also warm. It usually takes a combination of earth's orbit going further from the sun in combination with lower volcanic activity forcing a cooling to start ice formation again

Likewise, during a snowball earth... So much of the sun's energy is beamed back into space that it is difficult for the planets extreme ice age to end. But again with enough volcanic activity at the right time during the right point in orbit cycle and the earth can be yanked out of a snowball climate

Most of the time earth is somewhere in between these extremes...

Based on orbital cycle and based on long term trends we should be in a entering a cooling phase and we we should be going into a harsher phase of the current ice age

However, the amount of CO2 humans emit is not only sufficient to prevent the cooling but as we all know, has warmed the earth at a very abnormally fast rate

As a result, the accumulation of CO2 that in turn have secondary self fueling trends means the next harsher phase of the ice age that was supposed to be around the corner (and by around the corner meaning thousands of years from now), may now be delayed by as much as 100,000 years

It's worth noting that while an Earth several degrees warmer than now with no ice coverage has happened multiple times before. This normal cycle is supposed to take millions of years to occur giving species plenty of time to adapt. Instead earth is now warming up in a century what should take several mileniums most of the time

Edited by Economy
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 1

River

earth will go kaboom at some point anyway.. it was never meant to survive forever.

We just made the big disaster come early, but the big disaster needs to happen anyway, it's unavoidable.

I'm not serious 99% of the times ;)

Chris Martin
41 minutes ago, River said:

earth will go kaboom at some point anyway.. it was never meant to survive forever.

We just made the big disaster come early, but the big disaster needs to happen anyway, it's unavoidable.

as long as Gaga release LG6 before this happen I'm fine with that:staymad:

• Thanks 2

River
1 minute ago, Chris Martin said:

as long as Gaga release LG6 before this happen I'm fine with that:staymad:

drag race alaska GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

I'm not serious 99% of the times ;)

Andreu

Omg yas :neyde:

Thank god for the climate change :neyde:

soundcloud.com/andreusongs

Maleficent

this is why studies into immortality and greatly increasing human lifespans should be halted and banned. 

I'm not a witch, I'm a love technician

StarstruckIllusion

not humans dramatically altering the way the the earth is gonna live... we are so embarrassing

• Like 1

PunkTheFunk

A mess :fail:  Previous generations have f*cked up the planet and we are now paying the price.

#Marianne2020

Economy
10 hours ago, River said:

I mean an ice age isn't supposed to be a disaster

I've been reading a tone on this and it seems like there's a misconception of what a typical ice age actually is

We are actually technically in a type of ice age now because there is ice coverage in the poles, something that isn't always there in some parts of the climatic cycle. That means earth at times is much warmer than it is even now. The issue is humane are making the change happen too quickly giving species almost no time to adapt

The extreme ice ages that cover most of the planet "snowball earth" eras come very rarely and they set in over a long period of time

We'd have plenty of time to adapt cuz it would happen very slowly.

I think in 100,000 years if humans were still alive we'd be advanced enough to prevent disasters tbh